Gardiner Sits. More to it?

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
i do find it a bit noteworthy that Grabovski last year was the source of all problems and we would improve without him, addition by subtraction. and this year when the team gets blown out by Columbus it's Jake Gardiner who needs to sit to learn a lesson or whatever.
you don't think there is any benefit to a young player sitting out once and a while?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I can't believe Carlyle is playing plugs like Fraser and Ranger while gards is sitting in the press box. Physicality doesn't even matter when you are unable to skate or pass the puck out of your own zone. Pathetic

It was one game, and it was definitely deserved.

Yes he has potential, but he has some bright moments and then alot of big mistakes.

Gardiner definitely isnt our worst d, IMO franson is the worst, but he brings consistent offense from back there, so it's tough to sit him.

Not a fan of Fraser either, the guy is pretty much a scrub and Ranger is pretty up and down

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wouldn't read anything in to it.
Gunnar/Phaneuf = Safe
The trouble begins with no solid 2nd pair. Some flashes but not enough.
Rielly sat
Ranger sat
Gardiner sat
Fraser hurt a lot
Franson lives because he shoots right and gets points on the PP.
I don't see special treatment.
Carlyle hopes the player makes it impossible to sit him when they do get back in.
Hasn't happened yet.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Gardiner should be scratched once in a while as a reset button, but a guy like Fraser shouldn't even be in the NHL.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think they are hesitant to trade him due to the potential they saw from him in the playoffs. One thing that did carry into this season is his improved play in the D-zone, which is great. He still makes mistakes and will have bad games (IE: Columbus) but he has definitely improved defensively. However, we haven't seen much of his tremendous puck moving ability that he showed in the playoffs, he was skating through Bruins like pylons. I will also remind everyone that Franson was a beast in the playoffs too, which is why the feel a little more inclined to give him a chance.

Feb 24, 2004
you don't think there is any benefit to a young player sitting out once and a while?

If he's awful, sure. But if it's just to send a message because he made a mistake and is easy to scapegoat because he's young? No. As mentioned, that type of thing can affect a young players (or any players) confidence.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He has... Gardiner leads the team in most even strength minutes...

He's about to miss a second game based on the practice pairings.

I can understand him getting a refresher from the press box for one game, but he is clearly better than some of the other options on our blueline. Dress the kid.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's about to miss a second based on the practice pairings.

I can understand him getting a refresher from the press box for one game, but he is clearly better than some of the other options on our blueline.

off day practice combos don't mean anything.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Am I the only one that doesnt have a problem with Gardiner in the D zone? Like really, hes not that bad. When he gets the puck, he skates it out, every time. His problem lies in the neutral zone and O zone for giveaways. He, like Kadri, being offensively gifted players, make high risk plays and they dont always work out. I think hes fine defensively.

while i agree with most of what you said, it depends on when he gets the puck. he can't outmuscle and has problems taking the puck off of forwards in the dzone.

putting on ranger is like playing slots: bad play, bad play, GOOD play.

fraser is a full mental step slower than last year, which really isn't good for a slow player anyways.

rc would rather have a physical player that is slow and screws up, rather than a skill player who screws up the same amount or less. otherwise, there is no reason why fraser should be playing and when r.c. wanted to actually start winning, then he sat him against boston in the playoffs. also there's no reason to play macclaren and orr unless we are going to rough up buffalo.

i'd really rather put in percy or granberg over ranger in protected min, or even see if we can sub franson for a game with them.

actually, i think the reason franson is playing badly is because it's his contract year. i think he will play much better next season or in the playoffs. almost all the mistakes he's making are mental mistakes that he didn't make last year. he's probably stressing himself about doing better but will be looser once it's done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad