Gardiner Sits. More to it?

MetalJamesK

Jun 27, 2011
Caledon, Ont
With all the trade rumors involving Gardiner, is it possible him being a healthy scratch may be because of a possible trade? It may just be because Carlyle's frustration with him defensively, but if so I think trading him to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn would make sense for both teams.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He had a poor game. He got scratched. I think you're looking for a story. That's just me. He was playing very well until last game.

mikebel111*

With all the trade rumors involving Gardiner, is it possible him being a healthy scratch may be because of a possible trade? It may just be because Carlyle's frustration with him defensively, but if so I think trading him to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn would make sense for both teams.

I don't see it

gardiner was playing well until last game. so it might be because he might be giving him a breather

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
Why do people read so much into every little thing, Sometimes players are sat so they observe the game and think about their own game, Then they come back hungry!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's the same reason why Reimer isn't starting despite his numbers against Pittsburgh. They sucked against Columbus. (Well the whole team did, but they stood out)

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
We should sit Franson too and let Liles and Ranger play, if Liles can fit under the cap. He needs a wake up call more than Gardiner.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Gardiner was pretty bad last game.

Also they don't want to have any of their defensemen sitting for too long so they want to try and get Ranger back into action. After the game against Columbus, Gardiner is the easy choice.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I still don't get how some fans think Gardiner has played well this season. RC has given Gardiner plenty of chances to succeed thus far and he hasn't even come close to his potential

Forget about matching his post season performance, he still looks like a raw player looking to find his identity in the league

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
leafs are carrying 7 defenseman. of the 7 only phaneuf and gunnarson are playing like actual nhl defenseman and arguably reilly who gets to use the rookie excuse. franson, fraser, ranger, and gardiner ALL need to be significantly better. we need franson and fraser to play like they did last season and we need gardiner to play like he did in the playoffs. ranger......we need him to play like he did 5 years ago :help:

its hard to make the argument at least imo that gardiner doesnt deserve to be scratched tonight. the pens have some players who are really strong on their skates (crosby, malkin, neal, kunitz). while gardiners skating is better then franson, fraser, and ranger, there is no way he is bumping any of those guys off the puck.

i hope that liles gets an opportunity at some point. he definitely is not worse then fraser, ranger, or gardiner.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He had a poor game. He got scratched. I think you're looking for a story. That's just me. He was playing very well until last game.

Yup, the kid needs to clear his head and play his game. He's not the Gardnier that played here 2 years ago or the Gardnier that we had in the playoffs last year.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nothing to make a fuss about. We can't scratch everyone who had a bad game against Columbus. We actually need to put players out there.

Gardiner just got the turn after a bad performance, that's all.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
We also have to think ahead, supposedly we are in negotions with Bolland and what he will be asking for. Its a gamble right now as its a pretty serious injury and who knows how long it will take him to be the same, but if he's asking 4+million for 5 years, I don't think we can afford to keep him.

Schenn would be a nice pickup for now and the long future. He's a defensive first center, who's pretty solid enough offensively. I think he might possibly fit better alongside Kessel/JVR then say Kadri since that option always comes up.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Sorry but what rumour is this and why does everyone keep bringing up Brayden Schenn.

Is there a 1 for 1 trade rumoured here?

Wheels

Aug 22, 2004
I'm sorry, but however poorly Gardiner played last game, Mark Fraser was worse. Gardiner has been, at worst, our #3 defenceman all season long. God love Fraser, seems like a great guy, but he's a step too slow to compete at the NHL level, especially against a team like the Pens. Ranger, as we all have seen, has been a train wreck this season so far. Gardiner is 23 years old and for whatever reason, Carlyle has seen fit to stick him in the doghouse wherever possible. Can we recall that last year he was sitting behind guys like Holzer and Kostka?

Orr and McLaren are terrible every game. Why aren't they held "accountable"?

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Where would Schenn play when Bolland is back? What happens to Holland?

Schenn would be the No.1 centre period, the Flyers are back and he's one of the reasons. Tough as nails and will go any place in all three zones without trepidation. Schenn would be the Leafs most truculent forward after Clarkson. No way Gardiner gets you Schenn, especially the way that Carlyle has devalued Jake's value.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
Schenn would be the No.1 centre period, the Flyers are back and he's one of the reasons. Tough as nails and will go any place in all three zones without trepidation. Schenn would be the Leafs most truculent forward after Clarkson. No way Gardiner gets you Schenn, especially the way that Carlyle has devalued Jake's value.

I gotta agree with the cash man here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Why are the Flyers trading Schenn?

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009

I wonder if it's possible to get both Schenn's in a bigger deal? Luke is a rugged stay at home defenceman (something we seem to need) and although he's had his struggles, I still wouldn't mind having him back with the Blue and White.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I keep reading Gardiner has been good this year, correction he has been OK at times but mostly inconsistent.

To be good he would have to have more than just 5 assists this season, and be strong defensively.

Ok is far more accurate than good. He still looks like a confused player out there the best of times, and it is clear as a #2 Pairing guy, he has been exposed somewhat lately.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We should sit Franson too and let Liles and Ranger play, if Liles can fit under the cap. He needs a wake up call more than Gardiner.

Isn't Liles in the AHL?

He was being scouted by Carolina recently in a potential trade involving Tim Gleason.

Liles is not a part of Leaf plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad