Gardiner or Teubert

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Cue the Leaf fan with Schenn in his name and Avatar basically hating on extremely similar playing in Teubert and probably has never ever seen Gardiner play. Have you by the way seen Gardiner play? I have and yes he is alot like Tom Gilbert and not that is a bad thing it is just something the Oilers do not need right now

Cue the I don't really care what team you cheer for fan with a stupid assumption.

You said Teubert would be shutting down the likes of Sedins, etc. I just don't think/see it in Teubert to be more than a 3rd pairing guy. Especially given how he's progressed through his career so far. Maybe he proves me wrong.

Just because you disagree with my opinion, doesn't mean I'm wrong. Or right for that matter.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Depends on what you are looking for. All things considered equal, I would take the solid two-way guy in Gardiner. But I'm guessing most teams already have a few of those guys, so I'd take Teubert.
Teubert's nastiness is something that is definitely not a dime a dozen. There are only a handful of guys that are at that level of angry (Petrecki, McIlrath).

Kings fans have been trashing Teubert since his last season in junior and were calling him a bust the next year when he was playing in Ontario of the ECHL when Tyler Myers, who the Kings could've picked instead, was winning the Calder. It's not a new thing.

That said, he's Peckham with some offensive upside. A poor man's Phaneuf, maybe. Anyone expecting Regehr is going to be seriously disappointed. Physically, they're similar, but his defensive awareness and positioning aren't even in the same stratosphere.

I was one of the few Kings fans that liked Teubert. When he was first drafted, I think Regehr was a possible comparison, but since then it's been obvious that he's slow to learn proper reads and positioning, so the Kings have had to re-adjust expectations.

I'd say given enough time, Teubert could be...
- Peckham with some offensive upside, but without the pugilistic skills
- Bryan Marchment-lite
- A meaner Denis Gauthier with slightly better mobility

I don't think a poor-man's Phaneuf is apt: Teubert is a lot more punishing in battles and in the crease, is not even close in offensive ability, and lacks the open-ice hitting ability.

In absolute terms, I think the Kings overpaid with Teubert, but Teubert was probably never going to wear a Kings uniform given the defensive depth the Kings system has, so he was expendable.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
the best teubert can turn out to be is #4 dman, but highly unlikely...gardiner i have always liked, and he can easily be best #2 dman but more likely #4 dman role

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It seems like Teubert has gone from being a physical Dman with top 4 potential to a bust over night.

No offense to Kings fans but I think both Oilers and Ducks fans would tell you that Visnovsky is WAY better than you made him seem. You would have thought Visnovsky was MA Bergeron when he was leaving LA. So I take their opinion with a grain of salt.
That's a ridiculous statement. I think you are pretty good poster and far from a homer, I like that, but Vis was immense popular. He didnt get that big contract because he was the second coming of M-A Bergeron.

It was annoying to see how underrated he was and how much praise he suddenly got after he left. He had two huge seasons as a King, something nobody seemed to notice.

I'm quite surprised by your comment.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You guys were really high on Tom Gilbert a few years ago, so I take that as a really good thing. I can see why the Oilers would have a need for a guy like Teubert, but he's definitely not my cup of tea.

I don't hate Gilbert we just need another one. He is a good guy to have in the top 4 if he gets the soft minutes. Gardiner really reminds me of him even to the point of the way he skates.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was one of the few Kings fans that liked Teubert. When he was first drafted, I think Regehr was a possible comparison, but since then it's been obvious that he's slow to learn proper reads and positioning, so the Kings have had to re-adjust expectations.

I'd say given enough time, Teubert could be...
- Peckham with some offensive upside, but without the pugilistic skills
- Bryan Marchment-lite
- A meaner Denis Gauthier with slightly better mobility

I don't think a poor-man's Phaneuf is apt: Teubert is a lot more punishing in battles and in the crease, is not even close in offensive ability, and lacks the open-ice hitting ability.

In absolute terms, I think the Kings overpaid with Teubert, but Teubert was probably never going to wear a Kings uniform given the defensive depth the Kings system has, so he was expendable.

Jordan Caron might argue. ;)

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
That's a ridiculous statement. I think you are pretty good poster and far from a homer, I like that, but Vis was immense popular. He didnt get that big contract because he was the second coming of M-A Bergeron.

It was annoying to see how underrated he was and how much praise he suddenly got after he left. He had two huge seasons as a King, something nobody seemed to notice.

I'm quite surprised by your comment.
It's not a ridiculous statement. All Oilers fans heard about was his -18, his 91 giveaways(5th in the league) and how his play in his own zone was pathetic. We were totally under the impression that we were getting a good offensive defenseman whose defensive play was non-existent. It turns out his defensive play was actually pretty good.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Cue the I don't really care what team you cheer for fan with a stupid assumption.

You said Teubert would be shutting down the likes of Sedins, etc. I just don't think/see it in Teubert to be more than a 3rd pairing guy. Especially given how he's progressed through his career so far. Maybe he proves me wrong.

Just because you disagree with my opinion, doesn't mean I'm wrong. Or right for that matter.

You didn't offer an opinion

In fact you didn't offer anything

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It's not a ridiculous statement. All Oilers fans heard about was his -18, his 91 giveaways(5th in the league) and how his play in his own zone was pathetic. We were totally under the impression that we were getting a good offensive defenseman whose defensive play was non-existent. It turns out his defensive play was actually pretty good.
Must have been 5 fans.

This day is a disaster.

birddog*

Gardiner by his own coaches word doesn't have any real offensive upside at the offensive level. He moves really well but the hockeysense is supposedly not all there. And obviously now that Teubert is an oiler he's the next Scott Stevens.

Listen to the interview again. It is amazing how so much gets lots in translation.

birddog*

Sorry, nhl level. My bad dawg. Let me dig up that quote.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=353114

So what he is is a good puckmoving dman, but his offensive upside is not that high.

"Jake is having a very good season for us," Eaves said. "He's our third leading point getter on the team and he plays defence, so that's worth noting. He's an excellent skater. He sees the ice well in terms of being able to skate the puck and make the first pass to get a team on its way. He's our shooter on our first power-play unit. What Jake needs most now is to get stronger. He's a good size (6-foot-1, 190 pounds) but the challenge for him will be to see what he can do when he's playing against men in the NHL. If he makes it (as an NHLer), I think he'll be a top four defenceman because of his skating ability and his first pass."

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site

If you find even two such posts, I will be surprised. Kings fans were collectively heartbroken when Lubo was dealt. The worst you would have heard from us about Lubo was that he was a little undersized, but he definitely made the best of what he had.

In fact, I think when that deal went down, there were more Kings fans that were hoping that Lubo would finally get the media recognition he deserved. He was Mark Streit West before Mark Streit became Mark Streit.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Must have been 5 fans.

This day is a disaster.

If you find even two such posts, I will be surprised. Kings fans were collectively heartbroken when Lubo was dealt. The worst you would have heard from us about Lubo was that he was a little undersized, but he definitely made the best of what he had.

In fact, I think when that deal went down, there were more Kings fans that were hoping that Lubo would finally get the media recognition he deserved. He was Mark Streit West before Mark Streit became Mark Streit.
You guys could be right. The minority tend to be the loudest and end up representing the fan base. Maybe my comment about Kings fans was uncalled for. There were a lot of comments about his +/-, giveaways and defensive play. I'm pretty where there was even some debate over whether or not he was the Kings worst Dman in his final year...but it could have been the same people posting and over the years it's been exaggerated in my mind. I tried searching up the trade thread but I couldn't find it.

Monstar50

Nov 9, 2008
Toronto
You guys could be right. The minority tend to be the loudest and end up representing the fan base. Maybe my comment about Kings fans was uncalled for. There were a lot of comments about his +/-, giveaways and defensive play. I'm pretty where there was even some debate over whether or not he was the Kings worst Dman in his final year...but it could have been the same people posting and over the years it's been exaggerated in my mind. I tried searching up the trade thread but I couldn't find it.
Found it for you.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=529759

madpooh

May 30, 2007
to me its Teubert. I have worries about Gardiner. Last year he was the 5th highest scoring dman on his own team. I wonder weather he's just putting up good numbers cause he plays on a veteran team, and is the only D with offensive talent (other than Schultz). I havent seem him play much this year though.
To me Teubert is a guy similar to Schenn physical stay at home defensive game with some untapped offensive talent.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
to me its Teubert. I have worries about Gardiner. Last year he was the 5th highest scoring dman on his own team. I wonder weather he's just putting up good numbers cause he plays on a veteran team, and is the only D with offensive talent (other than Schultz). I havent seem him play much this year though.
To me Teubert is a guy similar to Schenn physical stay at home defensive game with some untapped offensive talent.

I believe last year Gardiner didn't much PP time because the coach wanted him to fully learn defense aspect first since he was converted from forward to defense.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

What? his coaches said he's a good skater who makes a good first pass...sounds like he does have offensive upside unless I'm so stupid I am misinterpreting the article?

Listen to the interview again. It is amazing how so much gets lots in translation.
Just read the entire thing, it's not that long.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
I think Gardiner has the potential..but also the higher bust potential...only thing I know about the kid is he can skate extremely well. Could go either way..
I think what you see is what you get with Teubert..if he can get quicker footspeed he will be a killer shutdown dman.

Really funny to see the LEaf fans and the non leaf fan opinions on this thread compared to the Schenn Harmonic thread

In this thread Leaf fans says Offensive Dman is more important....Non Leafs say you need the shutdown guy.
In the Schenn vs HArmonic Thread its the polar opposite..

Lets just all agree on this...easier comparisons

Schenn >>> Teubert
Harmonic >>> Gardiner

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Cue the Leaf fan with Schenn in his name and Avatar basically hating on extremely similar playing in Teubert and probably has never ever seen Gardiner play. Have you by the way seen Gardiner play? I have and yes he is alot like Tom Gilbert and not that is a bad thing it is just something the Oilers do not need right now

If you think Schenn and Teubert play a similar game, I'm positive you've never seen atleast one of these players play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00