Gardiner or Teubert

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Depends on what you need.

If you need a puck moving top 4 PP defenseman, Then you go with Gardiner

If you need a bruising 2nd pairing defensive defenseman, Then Teubert.

For the Oilers they could probably use both a puckmover and defensive d-man as well. But in the case of the Leafs we've been desperate for Puckmovers, So I'd have to go with Gardiner, But there both good prospects and should be NHLers.

Pyke*

i think gardiners skill is harder to come by, and i agree tuebert is similar to keith aulie, however, i think keith aulie will be better. Gardiner imo is a 2-4 guy who can move the puck while tuebert (dont know much but via tsn) is around a 3-5 guy (projected both) so... but imo Keith Aulie will be better than tuebert will ever be, but thats a leaf fans opinion, however, i am very high on tuebert and suggested him in many trades to the leafs.

Draft pedigree suggests otherwise...

In any event, I think Teubert has the higher ceiling but Gardiner is more likely to make it to his - so I think Gardiner ends up the better player at the NHL level.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Seems like Gardiner has gone full Pejorative Slur since becoming Leaf property.

hahahahaha lmfao:handclap:

Teubert has a mean streak which you would like to see from a shutdown defender and I hope he makes it and Gardiner seems more like a Phil Housley to me I'm not sure why lol just the way he plays looks a bit like him out there but obviously thats going beyond his outtermost potential in any case he could be a nobody or a versatile top 4 puck mover that plays above average defensively whereas Teubert could possibly become a top 4 shutdown man he just needs some proper time and effective coaching and im sure he will be fine considering LA Kings had a huge glut of defensive prospects so it all just comes down to the teams needs

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
not a fan of teuberts game, overrated in the world juniors and imo taken in the draft too high, i personally dont think he will be an effective nhler, gardiner has the better tools but will be interesting to see if he can put it all together at the pro level

imo if they both make the nhl :

teubert = physical stay at home # 5/6 dman (dime a dozen)
gardiner = versitile two way #4 dman (still not a top end guy but much more valuable)

I love your avatar, sickest video ever. LOL.

Pyke*

From what I understand, Teubert may never reach the NHL, so it is hard not to pick Gardiner.

The question was about ceilings though - and Teubert if he lives up to his draft status could be a top pairing shut down guy... It's looking less and less likely he'll hit that, but it's still possible (Gleason is a good example of a player who didn't make the NHL right away but became a very good defender).

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Seems like Gardiner has gone full Pejorative Slur since becoming Leaf property.

Haha, great quote. Is this in reference to Tropic Thunder?

Everybody knows you never go full Pejorative Slur.

What do you mean?

Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look Pejorative Slured, act Pejorative Slured, not Pejorative Slured. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not Pejorative Slured. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Pejorative Slured, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't Pejorative Slured. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Pejorative Slured, no. You went full Pejorative Slur, man. Never go full Pejorative Slur. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full Pejorative Slur, went home empty handed...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think Teubert has the skating to be a good top-4 guy. Safe bet to be a solid bottom pair guy, though. Mike Komisarek type.

Gardiner has a bit more bust potential, but has some very interesting upside.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Teubert reminds me of a classic mid 90s first round draft pick, think somewhere in the continuum of Robyn Regehr, Bryan Allen, Jay McKee, Jeff Ware.

Gardiner sounds a lot like Bret Hedican.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Teubert turns out to be Robyne Regehr I will jump for joy

I don't know if he will be, just sounds like he was drafted as one of those big body types everyone was so high on in the 90s and sometimes it worked out.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Teubert screams Denis Gauthier 2.0 to me. I like Gardiner's game - mobile, good skater. Teubert has great tools but doesn't think the game very well - hockey sense can't be taught. Has upside to be a punishing 5/6 guy, but I think that's it.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
It seems like Teubert has gone from being a physical Dman with top 4 potential to a bust over night.

Maybe that was said of him.. in his draft year.
No one this year- or probably even last year- have been saying he has top 4 potential. He's been a target for flogging the past year and half- so quit acting like everyone's done a 180 on him, when it's really nothing new.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Gardiner by his own coaches word doesn't have any real offensive upside at the offensive level. He moves really well but the hockeysense is supposedly not all there. And obviously now that Teubert is an oiler he's the next Scott Stevens.

What? his coaches said he's a good skater who makes a good first pass...sounds like he does have offensive upside unless I'm so stupid I am misinterpreting the article?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Gardiner = Tom Gilbert so no thanks pass. I would rather have a Robyn Regher playing against the likes of the Sedins,Iginla,Koivu, and Stastny night after night in the NW

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Its hard to say they have not played and NHL game yet.

They play different styles. I wouldnt be able to tell you which will have a better career.

They are both highly touted.

As a Leaf fan i am happy with Gardiner because we have defensive D-men in Komisarek, Schenn, Aulie and to an extent Phaneuf. Gardiner will help out a lot if he can become an everyday top 4 PMD.

But i would take Teubert on my team in a second.

I am not sure but maybe this might help...

I would say the have similar trade value.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Maybe that was said of him.. in his draft year.
No one this year- or probably even last year- have been saying he has top 4 potential. He's been a target for flogging the past year and half- so quit acting like everyone's done a 180 on him, when it's really nothing new.
Teubert's name has been thrown out there a lot in Oilers/Kings proposals. Kings fans were optimistic about his development. Now, because he was expendable due to their very strong prospect pool, he may never make the NHL. He's 20 years old and in his first full pro season and people think he's a bust.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

Cue the Leaf fan with Schenn in his name and Avatar basically hating on extremely similar playing in Teubert and probably has never ever seen Gardiner play. Have you by the way seen Gardiner play? I have and yes he is alot like Tom Gilbert and not that is a bad thing it is just something the Oilers do not need right now

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Teubert's name has been thrown out there a lot in Oilers/Kings proposals. Kings fans were optimistic about his development. Now, because he was expendable due to their very strong prospect pool, he may never make the NHL. He's 20 years old and in his first full pro season and people think he's a bust.

Kings fans have been trashing Teubert since his last season in junior and were calling him a bust the next year when he was playing in Ontario of the ECHL when Tyler Myers, who the Kings could've picked instead, was winning the Calder. It's not a new thing.

That said, he's Peckham with some offensive upside. A poor man's Phaneuf, maybe. Anyone expecting Regehr is going to be seriously disappointed. Physically, they're similar, but his defensive awareness and positioning aren't even in the same stratosphere.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Cue the Leaf fan with Schenn in his name and Avatar basically hating on extremely similar playing in Teubert and probably has never ever seen Gardiner play. Have you by the way seen Gardiner play? I have and yes he is alot like Tom Gilbert and not that is a bad thing it is just something the Oilers do not need right now

You guys were really high on Tom Gilbert a few years ago, so I take that as a really good thing. I can see why the Oilers would have a need for a guy like Teubert, but he's definitely not my cup of tea.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

I recently saw Teubert play, he is big, strong and brings an attitude for sure. the only drawbacks I saw in his game were his inability to handle the puck under pressure and an extreme lack of mobility. While both of those things can be cured with intensive work it will probably be slow progress. He may play someday in the Oilers 3rd pairing.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Kings fans have been trashing Teubert since his last season in junior and were calling him a bust the next year when he was playing in Ontario of the ECHL when Tyler Myers, who the Kings could've picked instead, was winning the Calder. It's not a new thing.

That said, he's Peckham with some offensive upside. A poor man's Phaneuf, maybe. Anyone expecting Regehr is going to be seriously disappointed. Physically, they're similar, but his defensive awareness and positioning aren't even in the same stratosphere.
I never went to the Kings board to get opinions on Teubert before the trade. Like I said, from reading proposal threads it seemed like he got off to a slow start but he was Kings fans were optimistic because he had been playing better as of late.

On a side note. Maybe there were trades I'm unware of but Myers was drafted 12th overall(with the Oilers pick from the Penner offersheet) and Teubert was drafted 13th.

You guys were really high on Tom Gilbert a few years ago, so I take that as a really good thing. I can see why the Oilers would have a need for a guy like Teubert, but he's definitely not my cup of tea.
Gilbert is a legit top 4 Dman. He's having a tough season though because due to the Ryan Whitney injury plus the Oilers D corp being pretty pathetic to begin with, he's being used as a #1 and he's over his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad