Gardiner is becoming our best offensive defenceman

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't think Gardiner has played this well since the Boston playoff series in 2013. He was absolutely dominant in that series and completely controlled the game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think Gardiner has played this well since the Boston playoff series in 2013. He was absolutely dominant in that series and completely controlled the game.

Thing about Jake that I love and part of the reason I say he is our best defender is because he is a big stakes player. He has always come up big in meaningful hockey. When the teams average so is he, he'll just do his job but if he sees something to fight for he has another gear. Morgan has that gear as well but getting it out of him seems a little more tricky so far. I see Morgan as Jakes equal, actually they and I say this a lot seem to be on the same development path.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
Was at the game...Gardiner played great. He is very calm and composed and he seemingly makes the right play every time. I have felt that he has been our best defenseman this year but part of that might be because Rielly-Zaitsev absorb a lot of tough minutes.
Another observation...at even strength Polak is clearly our worst defenseman (at least against a team that is not out to physically intimidate us). Hunwick is better. Its probably a toss-up between Carrick and Hunwick as to who is the #4. Perhaps we just need one new defenseman to solidify the bottom pair vs two new ones.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
To me, Jake seems to be a little slower than the average defender when trying to react in the defensive zone (clearing a puck, making an accurate and timely first pass, battling an opposing forward down low). If he's under pressure, it can be scary.

And I feel like he wasn't nearly this bad before his concussion a few seasons ago (I think it was with the Marlies?).

So it could be interesting if the Leafs are going to rely on Jake to play more minutes against tougher opposition for an extended period of time. IMO, the key to our defense corps, however, is not Reilly or Gardiner. It's Zaitsev. I think we could see him step up even more and show some of that offensive brilliance that he showed in the KHL (and we see flashes of now and then).

Hopefully Morgan comes back soon, and somehow the Leafs are stronger in the long run because of this (Zaitsev stepping up, maybe a guy like Corrado can push Polak out of the lineup, etc).

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
To me, Jake seems to be a little slower than the average defender when trying to react in the defensive zone (clearing a puck, making an accurate and timely first pass, battling an opposing forward down low). If he's under pressure, it can be scary.

And I feel like he wasn't nearly this bad before his concussion a few seasons ago (I think it was with the Marlies?).

So it could be interesting if the Leafs are going to rely on Jake to play more minutes against tougher opposition for an extended period of time. IMO, the key to our defense corps, however, is not Reilly or Gardiner. It's Zaitsev. I think we could see him step up even more and show some of that offensive brilliance that he showed in the KHL (and we see flashes of now and then).

Hopefully Morgan comes back soon, and somehow the Leafs are stronger in the long run because of this (Zaitsev stepping up, maybe a guy like Corrado can push Polak out of the lineup, etc).

I think this is the only knock on his game. He's not a fan of making the easy play like puck off the glass or a 10-foot pass. He'd rather do a 360 spin to elude a defender than dish it off to an open man. He's getting better though which is nice. Last year I thought Gardiner hit a plateau and his hockey sense would never improve. Very glad he's proving me wrong this year.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Gardiner - Rielly pairing would be entertaining. I understand people will say "this will be a disaster in the defensive end" but has it been tried under Babcock yet? His system may work with these 2 together

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I think this is the only knock on his game. He's not a fan of making the easy play like puck off the glass or a 10-foot pass. He'd rather do a 360 spin to elude a defender than dish it off to an open man. He's getting better though which is nice. Last year I thought Gardiner hit a plateau and his hockey sense would never improve. Very glad he's proving me wrong this year.

It's a big knock, and I don't think it's because he's simply not a fan of the easier play. I do see the improvements here and there, but still see good old "Sunday Skate" Jake far too often.

I think he just can't make those simple, instinctual plays under pressure. When he makes spins to elude defenders, that's fine - NHL players should have that ability and use it to create open ice. I'm talking more about situations where he needs to be quick to clear a dump in, a pass from a teammate in his zone, or maybe a rebound, and he blows it. Or when he gets caught out of position on a pinch or on a defensive zone assignment. His brain just seems to work at a slightly slower pace.

Maybe he should increase the smelling salts/coffee/red bull/cocaine intake between shifts.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's a big knock, and I don't think it's because he's simply not a fan of the easier play. I do see the improvements here and there, but still see good old "Sunday Skate" Jake far too often.

I think he just can't make those simple, instinctual plays under pressure. When he makes spins to elude defenders, that's fine - NHL players should have that ability and use it to create open ice. I'm talking more about situations where he needs to be quick to clear a dump in, a pass from a teammate in his zone, or maybe a rebound, and he blows it. Or when he gets caught out of position on a pinch or on a defensive zone assignment. His brain just seems to work at a slightly slower pace.

Maybe he should increase the smelling salts/coffee/red bull/cocaine intake between shifts.

I wonder if he tries to hard to check down all of his options before making a decision sometimes. He seems to process the game fine when he's carrying the puck, makes creative passes and handles the puck through traffic just fine but I've wondered if he tries too hard to make the best play rather than choosing the first good one and gets caught in option-overload

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Don't look now but Rielly has started to really play a lot better and Zaitsev is starting to shoot and drive much harder. I think we have a really good top three.

Our bottom three? Playing as well as they can, thanks to our coaching staff. Not bad, but can always be better.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Oddly enough, I think he's our best defender under pressure.

His game is to be poised which may be confused with him being 'scared' or 'holding onto the puck too long' though. He rarely gets beat 1-on-1, along the boards (because of his stick-work he doesn't get beat) and his first pass is certainly accurate. There are numbers online for zone-exits, puck-retrievals in the D-zone, etc but I don't know where to find it this season. Does anyone know where I can find those?

To me the only 'big' weak part of his game is in front of the net he needs to get more physical. Along the boards his stick-work is amazing but in front of the net you have to use your body to zone out players in case of rebounds.

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Oddly enough, I think he's our best defender under pressure.

His game is to be poised which may be confused with him being 'scared' or 'holding onto the puck too long' though.

Agreed 100%.

Unlike others who would simply throw the puck off the boards under pressure, Gards is elite at finding a way to make a controlled zone exit. He's extremely impressive in that regard.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Babcock has been a blessing for Jake .. He's given Gards a toolbox for the tools he has.

Gardiner is one that I would definitely re-sign before he hits UFA (ideally next summer before the last year of his current contract). His style of play should allow him to continue at a high level well into his 30's.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Babcock has been a blessing for Jake .. He's given Gards a toolbox for the tools he has.

Gardiner is one that I would definitely re-sign before he hits UFA (ideally next summer before the last year of his current contract). His style of play should allow him to continue at a high level well into his 30's.

speed bodes well for his longevity, Brian Campbell still seems like a contributor at 37, Keith's still a star at 33/34

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
speed bodes well for his longevity, Brian Campbell still seems like a contributor at 37, Keith's still a star at 33/34

It's not the speed though - it's his all around skating ability that should hold up well as he ages, and he doesn't play an overly physical style that could cause his body to break down.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Would be great if he just goes along with what his buddy Rielly got. 4 or 5 yrs at $5M would be nice.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It's not the speed though - it's his all around skating ability that should hold up well as he ages, and he doesn't play an overly physical style that could cause his body to break down.

ya, just meant that he has the attribute set that's common among guys who play a long time, ditto for Rielly and Zaitsev, though Zaitsev seems to engage physically a lot

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm excited for the Leafs defense next season. I don't think there's any doubt Lou will get an impact top 4 dman either through trade or free agency.

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - XXX
Nielsen/Dermott - Carrick

That's a lot of offensive and skating ability, which matches the way the game is evolving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad