Gardiner is becoming our best offensive defenceman

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Came into this thread looking for positivity. topic sounded good. Found out it was a reilly bashing thread as much as anything else.

It's hard to be a fan alongside some of you.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Gardiner was the best offensive d-man on the team the day the trade happened.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Best offensive D: Gardiner
Best defensive D: Zaitsev
Best overall D: ??

Offensive: Gardiner > Rielly > Zaitsev
Defensive: Rielly = Zaitsev > Gardiner

I'd say Rielly is our best overall D. Also has the highest potential

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I love jake but let's be reality - Rielly is outscoring Jake despite the fact that jake has received far more PP time and much more favorable zone starts.

Rielly is the best offensively and defensively, even though he's much younger than the other two.

But Jake and Zaitsev are both quite good in their own rights.

The leafs have a good number of very talented quality 2-way dmen right now.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I love jake but let's be reality - Rielly is outscoring Jake despite the fact that jake has received far more PP time and much more favorable zone starts.

Rielly is the best offensively and defensively, even though he's much younger than the other two.

But Jake and Zaitsev are both quite good in their own rights.

The leafs have a good number of very talented quality 2-way dmen right now.

2 2nd pairing D man and 1 top pairing. All very young. They are literally 1 top pairing defenseman away from being a set for the future at every position.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
2 2nd pairing D man and 1 top pairing. All very young. They are literally 1 top pairing defenseman away from being a set for the future at every position.

We need goalies,forwards and defensemen. Nothing is set until the salary cap says it is. There will need to be continued depth at all positions. There will be turnover because of cap efficiencies in our system and what not. We will never be set. It will be constant manoeuvres.

It nice to know Hunter has got this.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
He's a great #3 IMO - he has his defensive lapses but he's can take over a game with his skating. It's hard not to like him - especially when we will be able to insulate him with a couple better defensemen.

Spreading around the minutes

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We need goalies,forwards and defensemen. Nothing is set until the salary cap says it is. There will need to be continued depth at all positions. There will be turnover because of cap efficiencies in our system and what not. We will never be set. It will be constant manoeuvres.

It nice to know Hunter has got this.

Agreed but Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen and other top pairing D will be the constants. Gardiner is locked up to a reasonable contract and likely Zaitsev will as well. They will be set in positions for the near future.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Gardiner is a turnover machine. He's good on offense but man he's had some brutal giveaways lately on the powerplay.

Zaitsev is our best D by far. If he had a few more goals it wouldn't even be close

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Gardiner is a turnover machine. He's good on offense but man he's had some brutal giveaways lately on the powerplay.

Zaitsev is our best D by far. If he had a few more goals it wouldn't even be close

Hes great until he has those lazy mental lapses.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

He's not a turnover machine, that would mean he makes a lot of turnovers. What you're referring to is the magnitude of his turnovers lol. His turnovers are BIG but few, while others are small but plentiful.

Gardiner: 1.07 turnovers per game and 3.11/60
Rielly : 1.33 turnovers per game and 3.51/60
Compare that to other offensive D-men league wide:
Karlsson : 1.45 turnovers per game and 3.22/60
Burns : 2.03 turnovers per game and 4.97/60
Carlson : 1.47 turnovers per game and 3.74/60

Zaistev has been the most reliable defensively but still needs to work on his offensive side (At breakouts/zone-exits). Rielly and Gardiner have been better marginally imo. Gardiner's a big reason why our possession game is so good.

Last edited:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Turn over machine and bad defensively. Your a dman because your suppose to be good on defense. When you cause more havoc trying to create offensive (Gardiner) then making smart defensive plays then there's a problem.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Turn over machine and bad defensively. Your a dman because your suppose to be good on defense. When you cause more havoc trying to create offensive (Gardiner) then making smart defensive plays then there's a problem.

See posts like this is where I disagree. The way you describe the player is in a sense where his weakness or weakness's are catostrhopic and that hes almost a net negative player without even mentioning the things he brings. I would think mostly anyone on these message board would agree with you on Jake being extremely prone to mistakes in his own end. He had a rough game in certain areas last night so you'll have some extreme recenty bias today but this isnt a player whos turning the puck over at a alarming rate.

The things he does do are greatly represented in analytically research. He drives the play when hes on the ice and does a good job of supressing shots. Yes he isnt perfect in his own zone and he will make some really headscratching plays but hes doing so much with his skating and transition ability that it makes him an EXTREMELY valuble player. You take him off this roster for a few weeks and I almost gurantee our breakouts and transition offense would take a bigtime hit.

That play that happened to Carrick last night (the high flip, which alot of teams are using and it actually puts many D in some really tough spots). With Gardiner, You never have to worry about that. Even if they try it on him and the puck gets by him, he has good enough footspeed to still shut it down. He's a master of skating his team out of alot of bad areas on the ice and this aspect of the game is becoming more and more important from the back end. With the speed of the game nowadays having a D who can win all the races to dump-ins and be a one man breakout are rare.

Basically he makes mistakes but he brings so much to the game in certain areas that make him a really effective player.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Gardiner is not bad defensively lol.

He is brilliant defensively, excellent gap control, skates the puck out, passes great.
IF you want to see bad defensively, watch Hunlak. There is a reason Polak has to block so many shots!!!:laugh:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i think its not so much the amount of turnovers cause he doesnt turn over the puck that much but the timing which seems to be worse then zaitsevs and riellys which makes gards stand out more that and the puck batting attempts. but overall hes been solid.

Mar 26, 2010
Gardiner is a top pairing D. He is one of the very best skating D in the NHL.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
To Babs it is....

Gardiner has been the most played defenseman on avg the past couple of games. His time has gone has up as Hunwick and Polak have been reduced. It coincides with the overall improvement in Toronto's defence. Babcock is realizing who the best defencemen is on the Leafs. I bet next game Gardiner is number 1 or close to it in time played.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

Would you consider it a turnover if you get out of position for a big hit, or to help along the walls only to have the puck glide past where you were supposed to be?

What about when your pinch negates a controlled entry by the opposing team?

Tons of what Gardiner does affect the team positively by initiating the Leafs' offensive rushes and breaking down opponent's controlled possessions, screwing up their attack patterns. I guess you could call that playing defense.

Gardiner has been the most played defenseman on avg the past couple of games. His time has gone has up as Hunwick and Polak have been reduced. It coincides with the overall improvement in Toronto's defence. Babcock is realizing who the best defencemen is on the Leafs. I bet next game Gardiner is number 1 or close to it in time played.

I wonder how you account for the PP minutes Gardiner gets compared to Rielly. It's a bit more than a minute's difference. I'd rather look at the number of shifts each player plays: Rielly gets 31.5/g, Gardiner gets 26.1/g.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Doesnt mean anything to this guy. Its like Morgans uncle or something so if you criticize him at all you go into a feedback loop of lalalalala not hearing it....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad