Gardiner is becoming our best offensive defenceman

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Which is really nice because Gardiner hadn't really shown much progression since his 30 point rookie season. He has the shot, he has the puck carrying ability, and correct me if I'm wrong cause I don't read TOO much about advanced stats but I'm pretty sure I constantly read on here he's one of our best advanced stats players. Still prone to boneheaded plays every now and then though, like his drop pass the other day to no one, but that's also just miscommunication because that's a set play we always do on the powerplay. The talent is obviously there.

What's also kind of sad about this though is the more and more I watch Rielly, the more I start to believe that he just doesn't have what it takes to be a big offensive guy which is why Gardiner is taking it upon himself this season to be that guy. Rielly skates like the wind, is also a solid puck carrier and is becoming reliable defensively but in the offensive zone he really doesn't do much unless he dishes it to someone on the half boards on the powerplay. Although Rielly's offensive production could be inhibited by the fact that Babcock is putting Rielly in all these defensive roles.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Yup hes basically the only option on the back end in terms of shot not sure if we might see more of Zaitsev in that department but Reilly always leaves something to be desired.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Gardiner is really weird in the sense that he always scores a lot in the second half of the season. Take a look at all of Jake's seasons dating back to his rookie year and you'll see he always scores a lot January and onwards

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Gardiner has been really good offensively in last few games (2 goals 3 assists in last 5 games). Still gives me a heart attack sometimes with some of the obvious mistakes he makes but he's a good 2nd pairing dman.

That point about Rielly though, Rielly still needs to burst out offensively on the PP but he's been our best dman in every other situation.

Both Gardiner and Rielly are on pace for career years offensively.

Gardiner on pace for 14g 23a and Rielly on pace for 3g 40a.
(I'm sure Rielly's shooting% will increase as the season goes on)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rielly is generally more dangerous and noticeable in all situations and pushes the pace better but Gardiner has quite a bit more finishing ability. Rielly kind of goes all Bobby Orr until he gets to a scoring chance, then kind of rags it behind the net or gets a low percentage shot off.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Rielly is generally more dangerous and noticeable in all situations and pushes the pace better but Gardiner has quite a bit more finishing ability. Rielly kind of goes all Bobby Orr until he gets to a scoring chance, then kind of rags it behind the net or gets a low percentage shot off.

If he learns to cut to the front or slow down and look for a pass, he'd get 60 points consistently. Good thing is Rielly is just 22. If the worst part about him right now is that he's a 35-40 point defenseman we are looking at a pretty good player.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Needs to stop with those stupid drop passes and focus on advancing the play forward, not retreating into our own zone which usually ends up With him either giving up the puck or being close to it.

Gards has all the tools needed to succeed, and he has been slowly puttting it all together these last couple seasons. Just needs to continue to improve and he'll be a huge asset for us when we're ready to compete.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Although he only had about 3 turnovers tonight that directly led to scoring chances. He's coming along...

Sooner we get rid of this plug the better we'll be.

"I think hes becoming our best overall defenceman if he isn't already."

Then we're in a lot of trouble.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
If he learns to cut to the front or slow down and look for a pass, he'd get 60 points consistently. Good thing is Rielly is just 22. If the worst part about him right now is that he's a 35-40 point defenseman we are looking at a pretty good player.

He gets lanes but rarely takes them. I think his injury in junior is still holding him back mentally from taking the last cut to the net, he ALWAYS goes around, even when the lane is wide open.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Needs to stop with those stupid drop passes and focus on advancing the play forward, not retreating into our own zone which usually ends up With him either giving up the puck or being close to it.

Gards has all the tools needed to succeed, and he has been slowly puttting it all together these last couple seasons. Just needs to continue to improve and he'll be a huge asset for us when we're ready to compete.

Yeah I noticed that happened 3 times in the last 2 games. He needs to be aware of his surroundings and know when he's being trailed by an opponent before he makes a drop pass. He needs to mix it up and use the drop pass only as an option and not as his only move.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
yup. But I gotta say that Rielly will be amazing offensively once he isn't as relied on as now. Right now he has Zaistev beside him (who's been amazing for an off-season addition), but I want someone who's equal or better than Rielly's projection beside Rielly. Only then will he be able to show off his offensive talent at full-length.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I was thinking exactly this the other day. He has the speed to back the defense up enough that he'd get free time and space every time he wanted if he would just slow up at the top of the circles.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He must have scored last night.

He's always been one our better players on defense. His offensive skills were always his strong suit. I hope he can turn this season into a career one.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
yup. But I gotta say that Rielly will be amazing offensively once he isn't as relied on as now. Right now he has Zaistev beside him (who's been amazing for an off-season addition), but I want someone who's equal or better than Rielly's projection beside Rielly. Only then will he be able to show off his offensive talent at full-length.

Why turn this into a Reilly vs Gardiner. They both have great skills and are fantastic skaters. Find a solid partner for Jake and we have two reliable pairs.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Rielly has been better offensively but has terrible goal scoring instincts. He gets himself in prime opportunities with his speed but will miss the net, shoot at the goalie or just circle behind the net. If he can learn how to slow down the pace once he has time and space in the offensive zone he'd have much much more points. Still have to remember he is only 22 and 4 years younger than Gardiner, there is a lot of room for improvement as Gardiner is still coming in to his own at 26.

As for Gardiner, he has been fantastic and reliable on offence. Defensively he is still a great possession defensemen who can be relied upon to skate the puck out of trouble, but his break out passes are iffy and he is still prone to a huge mistake or 2 every game. He isn't as creative on the PP as well, it has been effective for him but he will always take the safe low % pass rather than do what Rielly, Matthews, Marner and Nylander have been doing.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Gards is a completely different player than the one who drove me foolish 2 years ago. He is reliable and confident now. Its his poise that has improved and brought himtothis level. He is ok now anyway. I used to anticipate disaster e ery play two years back, but now its A dependable player i see.

Yeah he is our best defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad