Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Giving RDR2 a second chance after getting frustrated with it at launch. I think I was too shoehorned into trying to play it my way that the kinda slower nature of the character's movements really put me off.

I had the exact same experience at launch, bounced off of it hard. Ended up going back to it about a year later and it remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Giving RDR2 a second chance after getting frustrated with it at launch. I think I was too shoehorned into trying to play it my way that the kinda slower nature of the character's movements really put me off.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the game never improves. What you see is what you get. I'm patient gamer, I play cRPGs, story driven games with a lot of texts as well as "hard" games. But man, RDR2 was just unbearable for me. Story wasn't good enough to keep me invested, gameplay was a joke, with lots of janky, unecessary animations that you can't skip. Immersion was ok, not brilliant. I can't get immersed in a game where someone with Tuberculosis can take down a whole army regiment solo when the story starts with the group being on the run from just the Pinkertons. The ratio of actual gaming you do vs time you play has to be the lowest Ive ever seen. I actually can't believe I made it to the epilogue, but after a few missions there I just gave up as I couldn't take it anymore.

That said, this isn't the experience for a lot of gamers. For many, it's the best games theyve ever played so I wouldn't ever say not to play it as someone could miss out.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the game never improves. What you see is what you get. I'm patient gamer, I play cRPGs, story driven games with a lot of texts as well as "hard" games. But man, RDR2 was just unbearable for me. Story wasn't good enough to keep me invested, gameplay was a joke, with lots of janky, unecessary animations that you can't skip. Immersion was ok, not brilliant. I can't get immersed in a game where someone with Tuberculosis can take down a whole army regiment solo when the story starts with the group being on the run from just the Pinkertons. The ratio of actual gaming you do vs time you play has to be the lowest Ive ever seen. I actually can't believe I made it to the epilogue, but after a few missions there I just gave up as I couldn't take it anymore.

That said, this isn't the experience for a lot of gamers. For many, it's the best games theyve ever played so I wouldn't ever say not to play it as someone could miss out.

Same. I played the original RDR probably different times all the way through and just can’t get into RDR 2. I keep trying but I don’t want to have to brush my hair, my horse’s hair, and the like on a regular basis. The “immersion” was a little too much and became tedious. I’m sure it’s a great game but it’s just not for me

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki

100% this. It took me a year to finish this game because every time it took so much effort to get invested in it. Every mission you have to ride your horse through the whole map and then the next mission is again on the other side of the map. I mean the scenery is nice and all but I don't want to spend an hour between every mission riding through it. Finally was able to push through and finish the game and at that point I just couldn't care about any of the characters or the story. I love GTA series, I loved the idea in this game (Haven't played the original RDR), but it just wasn't for me.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I played the original RDR and remember thinking how boring it was. It felt like 80% of the game was just riding on horseback through a barren desert so you can go kill a guy with some dialogue. I forced myself to keep playing until I reached Mexico and finally gave up on the game because it just wasn't fun. I never ended up playing 2 and honestly never plan on it. I watched a couple streamers play a bit on Twitch when it first came out and it just reminded me of everything I hated from the first.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I’m the opposite in that I absolutely loved RDR2 and the story it provided while I could never get into GTA V and quit playing not that far into the game.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Started Jurassic World Evolution tonight, bought it a while back maybe a year and a half when it was on a good sale on the PS store and never got around to trying it until now.

Well, I planned on just getting it started for maybe 30 mins or so and now its been 3 hours and I better get my ass to bed

I'm hooked

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm just a few missions into chapter 2, just got my starter horse, but from reading the replies here, is there a more "love it or leave it" this gen then RDR2? Maybe Death Stranding, which I loved and is also slower paced which led me to trying RDR2 again.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
SWBF2 was a frustrating experience. I played a ton of EA's first game (which a lot of people hated, but I loved). I thought they took a good concept of a game mode (Extraction) and butchered it. Extraction in SWBF1 was great, and in 2 it was awful.

As for the campaign, I beat it once and I honestly can't remember more than the basic ending of what happens. It was pretty nothing.

If you're looking for a really fun story Star Wars game to play, I recommend getting Jedi Fallen Order. That game was awesome, although its not multiplayer.
Phew I'm glad o see I'm not the only one to be frustrated with SWBF2
(I did like the opening extraction mission with agent whatshername though)

I was initially considering JFA, but BF2 was on sale so I went with that one

JFA seems more interesting and compelling
(and I don't care about multiplayer tbh)

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I'm just a few missions into chapter 2, just got my starter horse, but from reading the replies here, is there a more "love it or leave it" this gen then RDR2? Maybe Death Stranding, which I loved and is also slower paced which led me to trying RDR2 again.

I thought it was a slog at times though I thought it was a good game too, felt the same about the first one too. Kind of like a serious drama movie, the Godfather is a great film, but I feel different after watching it as compared to something like Deadpool

Reactions: Jovavic

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Playing pretty much anything until New World comes out lol. Moonlighter is pretty fun so far. Destiny 2 has been good too, but I'm not paying for it and I heard they got rid of a lot of the free content so I don't know much I want to get into it

If there's anything on Xbox game pass for PC, or free on steam, that's worth trying I'm open to suggestions :)

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I’m about 2 years too late but I started God of War again. In 2019, I got to the witches house and just kinda gave up, the game was fun but I just never got back into it.

So I restarted from the beginning and it’s pretty fun. I’m not crazy about the combat. It feels like a slightly watered down version of Assassins Creed Odyssey (which I absolutely loved). The controls take a little getting used to. I keep hitting Circle to dodge for some reason. I know you can change it but it’s weird. And the combos don’t register a lot of the time too. I wish it had a little more of an open world feel to it where you could try harder areas but might die if you don’t grind a bit.

It’s still fun and I imagine I’ll finish it in about a week or so.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I’m the opposite in that I absolutely loved RDR2 and the story it provided while I could never get into GTA V and quit playing not that far into the game.
Same. I think RDR2 is the best game I’ve ever played in terms of the story, the depth, the amount of things just in the game. Didn’t come close to finishing GTAV.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
I’m about 2 years too late but I started God of War again. In 2019, I got to the witches house and just kinda gave up, the game was fun but I just never got back into it.

So I restarted from the beginning and it’s pretty fun. I’m not crazy about the combat. It feels like a slightly watered down version of Assassins Creed Odyssey (which I absolutely loved). The controls take a little getting used to. I keep hitting Circle to dodge for some reason. I know you can change it but it’s weird. And the combos don’t register a lot of the time too. I wish it had a little more of an open world feel to it where you could try harder areas but might die if you don’t grind a bit.

It’s still fun and I imagine I’ll finish it in about a week or so.
For me, the axe mechanics in GoW are one of the most satisfying combat mechanics there is. Plus the sound design is so smooth.

AC Odyssey on the other hand was like Skyrim for me. No matter what build you try, you always end up going back to sneaky archer :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been playing a lot of Aragami 2. It's a ton of fun. I just recently played the first earlier this year without even realizing there was a sequel coming out. I feel like this one handles quite a bit better even if they have mostly the same mechanics. The missions are shorter but there's a lot more of them. I just finished mission 20 and there's apparently 51 missions. There's a couple areas that get repeated though. They place guards in different locations and start you in different areas of the map but hopefully it doesn't feel too repetitive later on.

Sep 19, 2008
Don't feel like making a thread but New World seems pretty popular. It dropped today and the queues are pretty long.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Don't feel like making a thread but New World seems pretty popular. It dropped today and the queues are pretty long.
Yeah I tried logging in today after work for a quick hour before wife and baby got home, but only got like 30 minutes in because the server queue was several hundred people long. Loads of fun, though, just like the beta. Can’t wait to play more.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I'm having so much fun so far it's a great game. Queue wasn't so bad yesterday for me after work, though admittedly I hoped in around 4:30 knowing it might take a while and I wanted to play as soon as I could lol.

Can't wait to get even further, haven't left the zone I started in yet

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Amazon gave me New World for free because I pre-ordered it years ago when it was listed as $0.00 when it was announced. I'll eventually probably install and play it a bit, but the beta and the clips I've seen really don't interest me so far. Can't put my finger on why exactly, but feels like the game doesn't have a "hook" to pull me in (WoW has raiding/endgame, FFXIV has story...etc).

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah I tried logging in today after work for a quick hour before wife and baby got home, but only got like 30 minutes in because the server queue was several hundred people long. Loads of fun, though, just like the beta. Can’t wait to play more.
Got in last night with a queue of 4 people, took like 20 seconds to get on. This was at like 9:00 PM EST, so not super late or anything. I felt like I played for an hour, and I checked my phone and it was 2:00 AM. This game hooks me pretty good. Can't wait to be tired all day at work again tomorrow because I was up too late playing New World again. This is my jam.

Reactions: John Price

LukeSkywalker

Jan 16, 2021
Amazon gave me New World for free because I pre-ordered it years ago when it was listed as $0.00 when it was announced. I'll eventually probably install and play it a bit, but the beta and the clips I've seen really don't interest me so far. Can't put my finger on why exactly, but feels like the game doesn't have a "hook" to pull me in (WoW has raiding/endgame, FFXIV has story...etc).
I hear people saying there's a good story in FFXIV, but I really don't get the grasp why people think it's great. For me it went to that I got bored at the story and payed few months just to breed champion chocobos :D

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm going to walk back my New World comments a bit. I ended up installing and playing a bit the last few days and I've enjoyed myself for the most parts. Besides the queue issues, which I'm not going to list as a negative because its launch and thats expected here are a few of my initial thoughts through about 10hrs of game time:

The Good:
- The crafting/gathering system is very satisfying. They haven't reinvented the wheel or anything, I usually ignore crafting jobs in MMOs but have been doing a lot of it in New World because it just feels good.

- Graphics: game looks great, not much more to say than that.

- Exploration: the world is pretty impressive and due to limitation of fast travel and no mounts you spend a lot of time traversing it. The world they've built is impressive (besides the severe lack of NPCs outside of the major towns, which feels kinda weird).

The Bad:
- Combat system. I don't see how this game has a future with such a shallow ability/"class" system. Your abilities are based of off your equipped weapon and you can have 2 weapons to swap between. Each weapon can equip 3 (of 6 choices) abilities. So you have a total of 6 abilities (many with 10s+ cooldowns) at one time and a light/heavy Auto attack. For me, that is going to get dull very, very quick.

- Lack of Weapon Choice. For healing and tanking, there is only a single weapon choice (Life Staff & SwSh). That seems like such a crazy afterthought for a trinity MMO. There are 9 (?) DPS weapons, so its not like they decided to just go with a limited roster or something, they could have at least given tanks and healers a 2nd option.

I'll probably end up playing it for a few weeks until the combat gets stale and then shelve it until Amazon brings out new updates or content. I think its not a bad first attempt at an MMO for AGS though. Tough genre to break into but I think New World has a solid foundation to build on eventually.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I hear people saying there's a good story in FFXIV, but I really don't get the grasp why people think it's great. For me it went to that I got bored at the story and payed few months just to breed champion chocobos :D
How far into the story did you get? For me, its a huge grind but when you get to the good parts (the end of each expac) the story is really satisfying. The story from levels 1-40 is pretty garbage though, so I imagine most people drop out before getting to the good parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad