Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I consider The Ascent as a solid okay. It's somewhat fun, but it is glitchy and feels....a little lacking to me.

A decent addition to Xbox Game Pass, but something I'm glad I didn't buy.

Still playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Pretty fun business simulator with an RPG minigame.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I'm not playing anything right now, taking a break. But one game I'm looking forward to is Sons of the Forest, aka The Forest 2. The Forest was a pretty good game if you like exploring/base building/survival games. The two trailers they've released for Sons of the Forest look interesting and confirm it's a direct sequel to the first game.

I believe it's supposed to come out later this year and is the first game I've been looking forward to in quite awhile.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I consider The Ascent as a solid okay. It's somewhat fun, but it is glitchy and feels....a little lacking to me.

A decent addition to Xbox Game Pass, but something I'm glad I didn't buy.

Still playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Pretty fun business simulator with an RPG minigame.
You know I ran into a ton of bugs with Bloodroots with was another day 1 gamepass game (on console, I realize its been on PC a while). This is kind of what I was harping on in the xbox thread where I felt like games now are being developed for GamePass and are not being held to the same standard of QA because you're not technically a buyer. Like Bloodroots for me was more buggy than CyberPunk 2077.

On a side note. Ive been on an fps binge recently and been playing Shadow Warrior 2. This is actually a game I pirated and beat years ago and was so good I bought it out of guilt. The reason I bring it up is that it has a feature I literally haven't seen a single other game use before or since. You can turn down the "peripheral" resolution. Meaning you can set it to 1080p or 4k and only turn down the resolution of the corners of the screen. Apparently its actually an Nvidia gameworks feature too so I dont understand why other games don't use it.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Back 4 Blood open beta started today. I got a few hours of co-op play in with some friends and really enjoying it.

The few mission maps we did looked really beautiful. A huge number of different weapons and ability unlocks. Gonna take some time to sort through and get a feel for all the choices.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The Back 4 Blood open beta started today. I got a few hours of co-op play in with some friends and really enjoying it.

The few mission maps we did looked really beautiful. A huge number of different weapons and ability unlocks. Gonna take some time to sort through and get a feel for all the choices.

I played with my buddy and I had the total opposite. It was so boring. Never felt like we were in trouble because the zombies were slow and there were never many at all. Hordes aren’t hordes. There’s a gauntlet where we legit just ran. Without even hitting a single zombie.

L4D and WWZ are way better.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I played with my buddy and I had the total opposite. It was so boring. Never felt like we were in trouble because the zombies were slow and there were never many at all. Hordes aren’t hordes. There’s a gauntlet where we legit just ran. Without even hitting a single zombie.

L4D and WWZ are way better.

I just assumed we were on Easy difficulty in the beta. And haven’t unlocked more difficult modes yet.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Not a huge fan of the Back for Blood beta. I'll probably play it a bit through Gamepass, but it's pretty boring in the time I've spent with it.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden

Open beta?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
This is not a game I'm currently playing, but I hate starting new threads. I was looking at playing Star Citizen just to check it out. Oh man the business model is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Theres 14 packages between $45 and $275. They come with between 3 and 6 months of "Insurance". What is this insurance? Its actual insurance for you ship. If you crash your ship after the 3 or 6 months run out, you lose your ship forever. Any ships you steal, buy, or borrow are permanently deleted after every update. Only the $1100 package gives you a permanent ship.

Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

This game is chasing whales more than any mobile game I've seen, no wonder its making hundreds of millions.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Just started playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, had I known that this game was gonna be this good I would have played it a lot sooner. I was pretty surprised that it's an RPG.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The other day, I saw that this little game called Lifeslide has a 100% rating on Steam, so I had to check it out... and, yeah, it's pretty awesome. You fly a paper airplane through gorgeous, surreal courses and rely on efficiency and collecting powerups to reach the finish line. Your only enemies are gravity and plane integrity, so you have to keep your speed and "health" up to avoid stalling and crashing. Hard turns kill your speed and can be disastrous, so the trick is to try to make as subtle course corrections as possible to avoid obstacles and grab powerups to keep you going. It has simple controls (just up, down, left, right and one button/key for using powerups) and deceptively simple gameplay (stay airborne), but there's a subtle complexity that is satisfying to uncover with each run. The game somehow manages to be both very relaxing and challenging at the same time, which is impressive.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is not a game I'm currently playing, but I hate starting new threads. I was looking at playing Star Citizen just to check it out. Oh man the business model is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Theres 14 packages between $45 and $275. They come with between 3 and 6 months of "Insurance". What is this insurance? Its actual insurance for you ship. If you crash your ship after the 3 or 6 months run out, you lose your ship forever. Any ships you steal, buy, or borrow are permanently deleted after every update. Only the $1100 package gives you a permanent ship.

Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42

This game is chasing whales more than any mobile game I've seen, no wonder its making hundreds of millions.

I Star Citizen actually making lots of money? Now there's a buyers resource, I backed it 10 (?) years when kickstarter was the hot new thing and Star Citizen was announced/advertised as a return to old-timey space sims. I'm not really sure what this monstrosity is they've spent 10 years creating, but it's certainly not what was advertised during the kickstarter. Seems more like they went chasing the EVE online market.

I'm more replying here though because for some extra buyers remorse I remember them adding the 'insurance' thing as a kickstarter option, except it was advertised as lifetime thing. I gave the game a quick run 2 years ago when I built a new PC but I'll have to give it another go to see what's there again, which I've been meaning to anyways. I've always gotten email updates on friday but never paid attention to them, not even taking the effort to mark it as spam.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Currently firing up Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell (the original). It’s only 3.51 GB and will be done downloading 2 minutes after I post this :laugh:

Haven’t played a “retro” game in a while. I’m excited to play it and see how it still is.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Back to MCC.

I won't bother review the campaign's again, but my opinion on Halo CE has gone down ever so slightly (too many bad levels in latter half), while I enjoyed Halo 2 a little more this time around. Others are more or less the same.

Halo 3 is the still the king.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I've had an itch to replay the original Thief for a few years now but every time I try the result is the same: I have no problem with the opening mansion but I stall at the second level. I just don't have the kind of patience it takes for this sort of stuff anymore.

I remember well playing the game for the first time twenty years ago and loving every second of it. I sat in the shadows and memorize the guard's patrol patterns fro minutes at a time... and really ENJOYED doing that. Everything was new to me.

A part of me still wants to experience one of my favorite games of all time again but I guess you can't go home again. And I don't think its purely the age of the game. I replayed the original Gothic this year and was fine with it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've had an itch to replay the original Thief for a few years now but every time I try the result is the same: I have no problem with the opening mansion but I stall at the second level. I just don't have the kind of patience it takes for this sort of stuff anymore.

I remember well playing the game for the first time twenty years ago and loving every second of it. I sat in the shadows and memorize the guard's patrol patterns fro minutes at a time... and really ENJOYED doing that. Everything was new to me.

A part of me still wants to experience one of my favorite games of all time again but I guess you can't go home again. And I don't think its purely the age of the game. I replayed the original Gothic this year and was fine with it.

I, too, would memorize the patrol behaviors of guards and would try to complete missions by disturbing them as little as possible. In fact, I would knock them out or kill them only if there was no other way for me to get around them or if I'd already alerted them. When I recently played Dishonored (spiritual successor to Thief), though, I didn't have the same amount of patience to evade the same guards over and over. At first opportunity, I knocked out or killed just about every one and hit their bodies, to the point that there hardly any left by the time that I completed the missions. It ended up making the missions a lot easier and took away some of the thrill and fear that those original Thief games had, but it was mostly my fault for playing them differently (though, also, it was just too easy to knock out, kill and hide guards, which was less the case with Thief).

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Speaking of classic 90s PC games, I've so far played a few hours of the new Quake: Enhanced that came out a couple of days ago (for Windows, XB1/X/S, PS4/5 and Switch and only $10). I'm very happy that it feels just like playing the original game. The enhancements are only little things like higher resolution support, anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion and a minimal HUD that don't really change how the game looks or plays and can be disabled. It's not like, say, Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, which went too far, IMO, and re-made the game.

It's the original Quake, just brought up to date a little for modern systems. We've had this for years in 3rd-party projects like ZQuake, but it's nice to have something that's official and comes with the levels and soundtrack. It also includes both original expansions and two newer ones. The only thing that seems to be missing is multiplayer support for more than 8 players, though the original QuakeWorld is included (along with Quake for DOS, WinQuake and GLQuake).

Night Dive Studios (probably my favorite remaster studio) seems to have done a great, faithful job and I'm really experiencing nostalgia playing through the first episode. I think that I'll play through the rest and then do all of the expansion campaigns, as well.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been playing Death Trash, it's really fun. The theme is really dark and gross but they did a good job with it. It's in early access, I'm pretty excited to see where they go with it.

I also just started House of Da Vinci since I enjoy The Room games. It's definitely something worth playing if you enjoyed The Room. I only finished the first level so far but it's very reminiscent of The Room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad