GDT: Games 82 Devils Vs. Capitals 7:00 PM - That's a Wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Agree with everything except for him(Blackwood) starting the first game against the Rags.

I suck at predictions but even I can easily (and accurately) predict that the Devils will start VV in goal in Game 1.

And they better bring Schmid with them and not send him down.

If they keep Blackwood for the Playoffs even after his "performance" tonight, then that tells me this decision is purely a FINANCIAL one and has zero to do with Merit.
Only reason Schmid isn’t backing up VV is if they want Schmid in Utica to get playoff experience down there . But the whole entire reason of playing is to win the Cup . Schmid backing up VV is the best way to try to do that . Blackwood’s play SHOULD lose him the backup job . Also Schmidt’s hood play SHOULD warrant him being in NJ playing over Blackwood . No doubting that Schmid is the better goalie right now. Decisions should ne made based off that , not how old you are or how much you get paid

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
While he is a potential star, he may not be one yet and still hasn't played enough at the NHL level. If we had less depth I'd play him but we have at least 6 good Dmen who are playing well.

I really do not care that he hasn’t played enough. He came in and has been really good. The potential downside doesn’t even come close to the potential upside. He’s been more than competent defensively so far. You’re pretty drastically raising the ceiling of the team while at worst minimally lowering the floor. We do not have 6 Dmen playing well. All of Graves, Marino, and Siegs have been meh at best for a while now.

Reactions: My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I really do not care that he hasn’t played enough. He came in and has been really good. The potential downside doesn’t even come close to the potential upside. He’s been more than competent defensively so far. You’re pretty drastically raising the ceiling of the team while at worst minimally lowering the floor. We do not have 6 Dmen playing well. All of Graves, Marino, and Siegs have been meh at best for a while now.
Are you really going to take one of those 3 out? They play the toughest minutes out of everyone. Its not as if Luke has received similar quality matchups. And again, Luke just played against weaker competition.

I would not start him personally but if we are down, I'd consider bringing him in. The only person I'd consider taking out for Luke is Bahl. And if that is the case, I would shelter Luke in offensive situations and against weaker competition.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Florida is probably going to lose but the fact that Ruff needs to rest a 25 and a 27 year old is just dumb. Maybe we can comeback and Florida can too but it doesn't take away the fact that Ruff didn't approach this game as serious as he should have. I'm super disappointed with tonight's game.
Well even though Florida lost , tonight's game was worth the pissy mood for how it played out after we went down 4 to 1 ! What a game for Luke and the boys !

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Look, I‘m not saying I watched the highlights of this game more than 10x already while forwarding through the dark moments. I’m not.
IMG_0978.jpeg
Look, there is nothing wrong with watching the Devil replays on MSG. Now, with having said that. You also get to see me, Mr. Devil himself and Genucel’s facial scrub and cream which has done wonders for me, and I guarantee for you too. Ho, oh my, forget what I said. I don’t want anyone else to look as good as me. Silky smooth! Oh yeah oh yeah.

Edit: The fact that Dano said most of these things at some point this season is incredible :laugh:

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
There's zero percent chance he starts Game 1 of the playoffs. I'd go so far as to say that even if god forbid Vanecek got hurt between now and then they'd still go with Schmid.
With the way the Devils have used Blackwood over the years never say "zero."

I hate being I told you so, for years about this guy. A Cancer. I wasn't alone beating the drum about how bad he was, Bleedred and glenwo2 were right there with me.

Time to move on to the Devils playoff series. Imagine the Rags for the first series, I love it. Our Devils must beat them, I would like a sweep, might be too much to ask for. Most of our guys haven't played in the second season. Vanecek only played 3 games for Washington Caps in the second (real) season. I would like a sweep for him in the round one series.

BTW, he is my Devils MVP for the regular season. Tell me you expected his play when Fitz sign him during last off-season.

Go, Devils.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
With the way the Devils have used Blackwood over the years never say "zero."

I hate being I told you so, for years about this guy. A Cancer.

Someone might Tonya Harding Blackwood if Lindy is actually crazy enough to actually announce Blackwood as starter for game 1

Thankfully not worried about that. He's not starting.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
View attachment 688365
Look, there is nothing wrong with watching the Devil replays on MSG. Now, with having said that. You also get to see me, Mr. Devil himself and Genucel’s facial scrub and cream which has done wonders for me, and I guarantee for you too. Ho, oh my, forget what I said. I don’t want anyone else to look as good as me. Silky smooth! Oh yeah oh yeah.
FCA93B3B-2CB5-47A8-B190-D75DB5C9AB95.gif

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
its kind of wild how we all hated Haula the first half of the year, when he was being asked to play in a position he wasn't suited for. As soon as he slotted in on the 3rd line, everyone loves him. And he put up 0.5 ppg. Pretty nuts.
It's controversial. The Bratt-Haula-Hughes line is still the best offensive line of the league in xgoals . So that is something to consider for all the stats enjoyers.

Obviously he really was snakebitten, since 3% shot percentage was ultra low for a 12% career average player, but he did also have a very strict defensive responsibilities first half of the season which do tend to eat the offensive production.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Someone might Tonya Harding Blackwood if Lindy is actually crazy enough to actually announce Blackwood as starter for game 1

Thankfully not worried about that. He's not starting.
I don’t look at that forum very often, nor do I post on it at all. I may have an account on there that I haven’t posted on since the 00’s. I always liked this place better because it’s more active. But it’s a much better perspective than Facebook (which I don’t use anyway) or comments sections of blogs or reporters.

But I was reading njdevs forum for the first time in a while and couldn’t help but notice you were on there last night. But what really made me laugh was that the name they have for Blackwood over there is yeller. I guess since he’s not old, they just call him yeller.

And the same poster that was mostly calling him yeller also called him a shit bag at one point lol.

I really enjoyed the yeller moniker and I also enjoyed this poster lifting the shit bag moniker from me and took it as a homage.

Maybe I will adopt the yeller name as an homage.

Hopefully yeller, shit bag or really the most proper name you can give him and it’s not even personally offensive, worst goalie in the national hockey league, never plays another game here.

The universe/god/whatever keeps sending messages with how much better the goaltending has been when he’s not on the ice and it was another BIG message last night when Schmid came in there and didn’t allow a goal and we came back to win.

The only goal I nailed him on was the first goal, which stunk. He was off his angle. That’s a blocker save more often that not. That’s definitely a low danger shot.

I’d have to think goal 2 hits goalies more than we realize, but I didn’t think he had any chance on goals 3 and 4.

Ain’t it funny that last year he has .892%, this year he has an .893%. Last year I counted 29 of his 79 goals stoppable. This year I counted 22 of his 60 goals allowed stopped. That’s literally just about an identical percentage.

It’s amazing that this team got way better, the goalies got way better and yet he didn’t.

Listen to the universe this time and don’t let him play a second (unless it’s relief in a garbage time game) in the playoffs, nor a second of any kind in 23-24. He’s a million dollar goalie at best.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not a Severson fan, but it helps when you play on a good team for once.
That's exactly what I meant by "poor son of a bitch"...first time ever he's had the opportunity to play on a good team.

I feel bad for him. The bulk of his career is likely passed him and I personally think he's a significant talent who has had his career squandered away playing for terrible teams.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Gotta say lots of Devils fans at the game tonight but the Caps fans really showed up too, they were super into a game that ultimately doesn't matter for them. Lots of LETS GO DEVILS chants in the building followed by the Caps fans booing and getting a go caps go chant going. Good fun, lots of nice people.

Traffic on 95 sucks but we all know that but good lord I forgot how stupid DC has a lot of their street system designed. Absolutely awful.

DC Zoo is really nice but good lord the parking situation sucks, the parking lot was reservation only but sold out online. I found a free spot on the street. The pandas were awesome lol

Florida can also go f*** themselves. I didn't see an out of town scoreboard at the arena like we have and I didn't even bother checking until we tied the game.

That's definitely my last regular season road game for awhile. I'm only showing up for road games if there's something potentially big that can happen lol
Also at the game last night (it is a "home" game for me); I was a little surprised how well the Caps fans showed up. DC sports fans are notoriously fickle, and I've seen 1) lots of fans disguised as empty seats at games or 2) lots of fans dressed in clothes with the visiting team's logo on them at many games in Washington during my time living in the area. Devils fans did have a solid turnout for a weeknight game; a few of them were sitting directly behind me and I talked with them a bit during the game.

The out-of-town scoreboards at Capital One Arena suck, particularly for hockey games, that's all I can say. Smartphones are useful for that information.

Depending on where you are located, Amtrak or intercity bus (Greyhound/Peter Pan) is often a better bet to travel between the NYC metro area and the DC area. I'm almost definite the late night Amtrak NEC trains have returned (though IIRC the last one leaves DC at 10 PM, a bit earlier than what is preferable).

Reactions: Satans Hockey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Gotta say lots of Devils fans at the game tonight but the Caps fans really showed up too, they were super into a game that ultimately doesn't matter for them. Lots of LETS GO DEVILS chants in the building followed by the Caps fans booing and getting a go caps go chant going. Good fun, lots of nice people.

Traffic on 95 sucks but we all know that but good lord I forgot how stupid DC has a lot of their street system designed. Absolutely awful.

DC Zoo is really nice but good lord the parking situation sucks, the parking lot was reservation only but sold out online. I found a free spot on the street. The pandas were awesome lol

Florida can also go f*** themselves. I didn't see an out of town scoreboard at the arena like we have and I didn't even bother checking until we tied the game.

That's definitely my last regular season road game for awhile. I'm only showing up for road games if there's something potentially big that can happen lol
So when the Panthers sign Blackwood and he moves in across the street from @Bleedred and thr Panthers host a bring your neighbor to work night and Blackwood invites Bleed to go to the game and sit in as the color commentator while Blackwood plays, you’d go to that game?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So when the Panthers sign Blackwood and he moves in across the street from @Bleedred and thr Panthers host a bring your neighbor to work night and Blackwood invites Bleed to go to the game and sit in as the color commentator while Blackwood plays, you’d go to that game?
He'd have to take a plane to work if he signed with the Panthers and moved across the street from me haha.

But if he signed with the Lightning...... it's still a haul to commute.

Elliott is definitely cooked (and yet even he had a SHUTOUT last night!) and he's about to turn 38 years old so maybe they bring him in for cheap. Probably not. They like old vets like McElhinney and Elliott. I could see Quick signing there to backup Tampa and they know they won't have to play him much. I've been saying that for months now, since long before LA traded him.

I could see Varlamov signing there for cheaper than some other team would give him and at least as of right now he looks like a guy you can give more games to, rather than a Quick, McElhinney and Elliott, if they do wanna give Vasilevskiy more games off.

I was also calling for a potential Vasilevskiy/MAF tandem over there, but I forgot MAF is signed for next year already.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
I don’t look at that forum very often, nor do I post on it at all. I may have an account on there that I haven’t posted on since the 00’s. I always liked this place better because it’s more active. But it’s a much better perspective than Facebook (which I don’t use anyway) or comments sections of blogs or reporters.

But I was reading njdevs forum for the first time in a while and couldn’t help but notice you were on there last night. But what really made me laugh was that the name they have for Blackwood over there is yeller. I guess since he’s not old, they just call him yeller.

And the same poster that was mostly calling him yeller also called him a shit bag at one point lol.

I really enjoyed the yeller moniker and I also enjoyed this poster lifting the shit bag moniker from me and took it as a homage.

Maybe I will adopt the yeller name as an homage.

Hopefully yeller, shit bag or really the most proper name you can give him and it’s not even personally offensive, worst goalie in the national hockey league, never plays another game here.

The universe/god/whatever keeps sending messages with how much better the goaltending has been when he’s not on the ice and it was another BIG message last night when Schmid came in there and didn’t allow a goal and we came back to win.

The only goal I nailed him on was the first goal, which stunk. He was off his angle. That’s a blocker save more often that not. That’s definitely a low danger shot.

I’d have to think goal 2 hits goalies more than we realize, but I didn’t think he had any chance on goals 3 and 4.

Ain’t it funny that last year he has .892%, this year he has an .893%. Last year I counted 29 of his 79 goals stoppable. This year I counted 22 of his 60 goals allowed stopped. That’s literally just about an identical percentage.

It’s amazing that this team got way better, the goalies got way better and yet he didn’t.

Listen to the universe this time and don’t let him play a second (unless it’s relief in a garbage time game) in the playoffs, nor a second of any kind in 23-24. He’s a million dollar goalie at best.
Holy Shit watching the beginning of this game because I was out to dinner last night....Blackwood is complete horseshit my god he sucks 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad