GDT: Games 82 Devils Vs. Capitals 7:00 PM - That's a Wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I noticed that too! Pretty cool stuff
I doesn't show it in that replay, but Luke looks up to Jack behind his own blueline looking to go to the left side of the ice, Jack points to the right side and it all started there.
Just saw that. Subtle hand movement. Pond hockey stuff. Love it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Quinn watching this in Vancouver, snowed in, shivering, blanket draped over his head as a tear rolls down his cheek into the mug of hot chocolate that he's holding with 2 hands.
Come on now … It’s raining and cold as shit but not snowing lol . People are dismantling our igloos and getting our wood huts ready for seal hunting season

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
He had a pretty sick assist on a Petterson goal tonight
Shush!! You're ruining the image in my head!!

He's home. He's cold. He's sad.

Come on now … It’s raining and cold as shit but not snowing lol . People are dismantling our igloos and getting our wood huts ready for seal hunting season
Another one letting facts ruin my story!!!

:)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My friends and I have spent the last hour or so giggling on the phone about the Dano Guinea-T comment.

I’ve never heard it called that outside of Jersey/Northeast. I’ve even asked native Floridians and Coloradan’s about that and they’re like “What is that, a bird?”.

Knowing Dano, I doubt he even knows why it’s called that. And if you don’t know why it’s called that, it’s much less offensive than the other name for it. Wife beater lol.

Now for some reason, wife beater is not a geographical name for those shirts. People call it that everywhere, but I’m pretty that is reserved only for those sleeveless white shirts. I’ve heard Guinea-T for any kind of sleeveless shirt or tank top.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Beyond the Luke hype (deserved), another game where the boys simply did not quit.

It’s just so f***ing nice to have a team that clearly believes they can and will win any game.

200w.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Right and you’re not rooting against the guy just like if your on a plane your rooting for the pilot! This sick experiment is over for the love of all things holy!
It’s actually almost a tragedy, as his February of 2020 was maybe the best calendar month a Devils goalie ever had. I think he was like 6-0-1 and had a .966%. And that 1 came in his last game of the month, which was on leap day (February 29th) and a 2-1 OT loss to LA.

And his entire 19-20 season was pretty solid, especially relative to the two other goalies that saw significant time here. Sometimes I wonder if he bought Nas another two years here, as we were winning a lot more once Nas took over because of him. He was also the best goalie on the 18-19 team, out of the three goalies that saw significant time here that year.

Fast forward to 2023, I’m not even convinced he’s a better goalie than 37 year old Cory Schneider, who has played one NHL game in the last 3 years, nor 33 year old Keith Kinkaid, who has been called up and played at least one game/at least one start every year in the NHL, but hasn’t been an NHL regular in 3.5 years now.

Like I keep saying, his AHL career was very bad, so it’s not like he just got bad out of nowhere. It only appears that way because he was good his first two seasons in the NHL. His first two seasons in the NHL could have just been as random of a happening as Andrew Hammond’s 2015.

Obviously, Blackwood had much more talent as a teenager, as Hammond was never even drafted into the NHL and played college hockey until he was 25 and didn’t turn pro until 25.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
It’s actually almost a tragedy, as his February of 2020 was maybe the best calendar month a Devils goalie ever had. I think he was like 6-0-1 and had a .966%. And that 1 came in his last game of the month, which was on leap day (February 29th) and a 2-1 OT loss to LA.

And his entire 19-20 season was pretty solid, especially relative to the two other goalies that saw significant time here. Sometimes I wonder if he bought Nas another two years here, as we were winning a lot more once Nas took over because of him. He was also the best goalie on the 18-19 team, out of the three goalies that saw significant time here that year.

Fast forward to 2023, I’m not even convinced he’s a better goalie than 37 year old Cory Schneider, who has played one NHL game in the last 3 years, nor 33 year old Keith Kinkaid, who has been called up and played at least one game/at least one start every year in the NHL, but hasn’t been an NHL regular in 3.5 years now.

Like I keep saying, his AHL career was very bad, so it’s not like he just got bad out of nowhere. It only appears that way because he was good his first two seasons in the NHL. His first two seasons in the NHL could have just been as random of a happening as Andrew Hammond’s 2015.

Obviously, Blackwood had much more talent as a teenager, as Hammond was never even drafted into the NHL and played college hockey until he was 25 and didn’t turn pro until 25.

It really is a shame. Blackwood has all the tools to be a great goalie. It just hasn’t happened.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It really is a shame. Blackwood has all the tools to be a great goalie. It just hasn’t happened.
He’s so big, he reminds me of all the big mattress goalies that started to really infiltrate the NHL 10-12 years ago.

Some of them were complete busts like Lindback, while others like Ben Bishop became good. And Bishop never really looked all that great to me, but he had so much girth that a lot of pucks hit him. And pucks that would clear a normal height goalie’s shoulders would hit his chest or shoulders.

The only goal that really looked bad was goal 1, but I’d have to think goal 2 hits him sometimes and hits a lot of goalies. Especially one with massive girth. We just don’t even realize it cause it doesn’t end up a goal and when he’s in good position it doesn’t even look like a big save or anything more than routine.

I wish him well, but I don’t think he’ll have a successful career. Someone will sign him to a one year deal for $1.2-$1.3 million. Maybe $1.5 if he’s lucky, but back to back .892% and .893% seasons and three straight seasons below GSAA, as well as GSAx on most models, might have cost him a hundred grand or two.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has another good season in the NHL at some point, but I don’t think he’ll consistently be good from year to year.

If he has yet another season like these last two years and pretty much 2020-2021 after the first 5 games, he may find himself in the Keith Kinkaid, Cory Schneider, Michael Hutchinson territory, where he’s strictly signed for the AHL and only comes to the NHL when his teams’s NHL affiliate has an injury in goal.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He did, he doesn't anymore. His body completely broke down.
I think it’s debatable whether his body broke down or if he just wasn’t any good to begin with and the good seasons were just random like the Andrew Hammond season in 2015. Andrew Hammond had one really good season and another okay one in the NHL, but then was mostly in the AHL.

And I’m only skeptical because his AHL career wasn’t good and showed some major red flags before he even made his NHL debut.

He does appear to really be broken at this point though, as he’s been consistent the last two seasons and the season before that after the first 5 games. He’s an .893% over his last 77 games games.

It kept pumping that it was .893% over his last 55 games before this season started, but then he had 22 more games of .893%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad