Post-Game Talk: Games 1 and 2: Canucks win 4-2 / Canucks lose 5-2 (MOD Warning Post #61)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Unfortunately both were on for 3 of San Jose's goals.

Crazycanuck found the game sheet, now he needs to find us some highlights :handclap:
All I can find are these stills from the courtroom artist on hand:

Alexandre+Burrows.jpg

joe-thornton-san-jose-sharks-dave-olsen.jpg

BurrowsDrawing01.jpg

patrick_marleau_by_mangomochiii-d55ibnc.jpg

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You have been consistent with your position on that trade, but with all due respect, this may not ever really get resolved in terms of win/lose the trade.

No one would doubt that McKeown is a good prospect, particularly taken at that position. But...

(A) We needed help in the top nine immediately, particularly when it comes to a playmaking forward who has paid his dues and scored at lower professional and amateur levels. And...

(B) Defensemen often do take longer to develop. McKeown might not make the NHL for another three four years. And not make much of an impact for five or six.

We traded some potential Future for some realistic Now.

There were degrees of 'help in the top9' that I was willing to accept in order to retain that future potential. Santorelli was still here at that point.

I understand why Benning did what he did. He wanted a young top9 solution at the expense of a pure future asset, as you have described. Many, including myself, think that he would have been better served by taking the gift at pick #50 and by signing Santorelli. This still would have left the door open to pursue Vey afterwards, as LA was facing a roster crunch. Cest la vie...

Unless Vey totally flames out and McKeown becomes a key D-man, (which could be doubtful) then it will become an ordinary apples and oranges comparison.

If Vey becomes a play making center with some upside, then I am satisfied we got a good deal.

I think if Vey flames out and McKeown becomes a "key Dman", that's a pretty clear indicator of who "won" the trade no?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Horvat just continues to play his game, which is a smart 200 ft game with very little risk. He was starting to take a few more risks as the game went on as he got more comfortable with the speed and style of play. I mentioned this in the Horvat thread, but I think that's going to be the trend for Horvat, playing a safe style of play to start until he starts feeling comfortable and then you'll see his offensive side start to poke out.

Shinkaruk just keeps impressing me with how willing his is to find the scoring areas even if they are tough areas to stay in for a player his size. All of his goals in the rookie tournament and now the pre season have been scored close in and mroe due to positioning then pure skill and speed. For a player who is known as more of a skill/speed player that is a very good sign.

Vey impressed me a lot, he officially kicked off hockey season for me as I started yelling at him through my TV when he wheeled around Irwin for that partial break. I can see Vey and Higgins being a good pair to build a 3rd line around.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I'm very encouraged about Horvat by the way he scored the winner. Marleau is a big guy and a great skater. They were leaning on each other and it was Horvat that got control of the puck in front of the empty net. That's something this team has really been lacking the last three years. Teams like Boston and LA have been a nightmare to handle because they have so many players that can do that.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Horvat just continues to play his game, which is a smart 200 ft game with very little risk. He was starting to take a few more risks as the game went on as he got more comfortable with the speed and style of play. I mentioned this in the Horvat thread, but I think that's going to be the trend for Horvat, playing a safe style of play to start until he starts feeling comfortable and then you'll see his offensive side start to poke out.

Shinkaruk just keeps impressing me with how willing his is to find the scoring areas even if they are tough areas to stay in for a player his size. All of his goals in the rookie tournament and now the pre season have been scored close in and mroe due to positioning then pure skill and speed. For a player who is known as more of a skill/speed player that is a very good sign.

Vey impressed me a lot, he officially kicked off hockey season for me as I started yelling at him through my TV when he wheeled around Irwin for that partial break. I can see Vey and Higgins being a good pair to build a 3rd line around.

Higgins - Vey - Hansen seems like a real good third line option.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
@ElliottPap: Social note: Jyrki Lumme, one of the all-time best Nux D-men (and class guy) has moved his family from Finland to North Van. #Canucks

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
- Corrado played lots and had some good shifts but also some wobbly ones. Misplayed the 2-2 goal after the turnover by Dorsett. Didn't look as good as he did in any of the preseason games last year.

I think that's probably a more fair assessment of Corrado's game than most of what i've read. He wasn't great, but i think he's catching far too much flack overall based on one glaring "bad play", which was more than anything, just an awful turnover from Dorsett that clearly handcuffed him with a bad situation.

Subban was good and drew rave reviews, for good reason...but i think his "goodness" is being exaggerated a bit, just as Corrado's "badness" is being exaggerated in the other direction.

It is concerning with Corrado though, that he doesn't look as good as he did last year. He looks...slower, both skating-wise and just in terms of his reads. Just didn't seem to be playing "his game". There just doesn't seem to be any confidence there. Really strange. Curious to see if that persists through the rest of camp.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Report from Stockton

(aka. Stocktone, aka. Mudville (as in KC at Bat,as in No Joy in Mudville. Yeah, THAT Mudville), aka. Weberstown, aka. Tuleberg, aka. The Big Valley (as in that show with Barbara Stanwyck, Lee Majors, and Linda Evans), aka. Gas Town., aka. Fat City, aka. Broketown, aka. Little Detroit.)

Hopefully the whole fight wasn't like that. Just Sestito hanging on for dear life. Painful to watch. I really don't like Tom fighting mcgrattan either. That is one scary dude. Hopefully he doesn't have long-term effects after all of those punches.

Looked like he was hanging on for dear life there.

kcra..heh

He started the fight and got in good with McGratton early. It happened so fast I only caught from the corner of my eye. Though he got in close fighting him ended up being a mistake as McGratton managed to get his helmet off and smoked his head at leisure. Not really good connections and they both walked off when the officials broke it up.

McGratton was looking for another fight after the box while Sestito waited in the dressing room. When he was back on the ice he was chatting it up pretty good with someone with the ref made him sit down. I never saw him the rest of the game.

So has there been any reports on on the Stockton game?

Wanting to know how the Burrows-Bonino-Kassian line looked.

Could't agree more regarding th Vey trade.

Does anyone know how Bonino looked in the other game?

he scored. that is all i know. the production value of that game was cheaper then a Junior B game.

Canucks B squad came out flying against the captainless Sharks A squad in the very partisan 6600 crowd at the ECHL's most popular arena. Unfortunately, they couldn't seem to hit the net.

Sestito made a mistake by picking the fight early, well before the Canucks needed the momentum. Any plan to make it a scrummy game and get them boys in teal to play down to their level was over after that. Sharks scored their first goal on his instigator penalty. He played one more shift after his misconduct and even then the refs benched him. Willie did the rest of the benching after that.

The fast paced Sharks were difficult to contain in the neutral zone and the Nucks goatltenders were forced to make save after save on the pipe as the little fish like to seem to like get in close without actually crashing the net. Defensive breakdowns were an eyesore.

After the first period the SOG were 10-1 in favour of the tooth losers.

Officiating was terrible. Obvious holds and interference that were ignored weren't the worst part: they kept getting in the way of the players. At least four times. In their defense the Stockton Arena is just a bit bigger than Prince Rupert's Civic Centre.

Their inability to stay out of the box cost the Canucks more red lights.

But the worst part of the game for the good guys was the 5 on 3 when they were already down 3-0. With a full 1:40 on it the first shot was lost to a broken stick at the point. The second was when Weber hesitated when he had a clear shot from the point. Its like their hands were frozen too nervous to know what to do with a puck. Like they were wondering if they should even be there It was over after that and it was only the 2nd period.

So TBH, Benino, was pretty unnoticeable even with the goals the Canucks got. They were already down 4-0 when he scored. I yelled FOUR MORE BOYS and that got a laugh out of the no nothing bay area snobs in the crowd who kept calling the umbrella formation "the triangle" (true fact).

"What's a Canuck?" the nice older gentleman behind me asked. A bunch of BCer's that hate ourselves I said (actually, I said what's a Yankee three times till he finally started to get it. Nice guy. Took our picture. No one asked me what an Orca was this time.)

At least Burrows skated well. He went to the corners hard and got a wow out the audience when threw some fish into the glass. Unfortunately, he was constantly outskating the rest of the team. Not surprising for the best player to come out of the ECHL. He seemed like the only one comfortable out there but I think he was deliberately kept off the ice for the most part. At this rate Thorton will win the Preseason scoring race.

The highlights for me though was spending time with my nephews, and even though my bro-in-law was constantly looking at the score of the Giants game, they had a good time and were impressed at the CONSTANT action and line changes.

Other highlights included the drunk frat boys who started singing O Canada with me, and the guy who's hand I had to shake for wearing #37, Rick Rypien.

After, I got Nachos downtown at Xochimilco's. They give you gravy and cheese (queso) mixed in a bowl it with so I started calling it my Los Poutinos.

¡Ve, Canucks Ve! :yo:

pCjerqTl.jpg
pZBrYzel.jpg

2Fa1tLgl.jpg
IPz3QEyl.jpg

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Shake it as in break it off for wearing the wrong number?

Good catch.

Must have been 37. I was rushing to my seat while fans got up and down from there's while the play was going on.

I forgot to mention, Burr poked a Shark at the red line with his stick during the pre-game skate. I noticed the ref come over to have a word with him just after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad