Post-Game Talk: Games 1 and 2: Canucks win 4-2 / Canucks lose 5-2 (MOD Warning Post #61)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
It's totally inappropriate regardless of how you might want to describe it. His skin color has nothing to do with the content of that photo. It would be like saying "the guy in the middle with the really nice pair of testicles". Sure, his testicles may actually be really nice, but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I didnt realise that testicles are visible through equipment
I didnt realise that a distinguishing characteristic used to differentiate between 2 similar objects in a photo has nothing to do with the content of a photo

Wow! someone commented on someone's skin color! terrible!!!!

circles.jpg

how would you describe the square that stands out here?

1) the square in the right arrangement that is at the 10 oclock position

or

2) the blue square

JA

It's totally inappropriate regardless of how you might want to describe it. His skin color has nothing to do with the content of that photo. It would be like saying "the guy in the middle with the really nice pair of testicles". Sure, his testicles may actually be really nice, but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

I don't think it came across the way the caption writer thought it would. I don't think it's hurtful; I think he was trying to draw humor from the fact he was pointing out something very obvious (Captain Obvious). Of course, some people jump at that right away when it might look discriminatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
That's not really racism....

It is and it shows that the guy who wrote it might not even be aware of his racism, also shows you might have some racist tendencies and don't even know. The guy in the middle would of been enough.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I think having a poor attitude towards minorities is a lot worse than being politically incorrect.

But since last time I had this discussion I typed out a few essay length posts and they were all deleted, I will refrain from commenting again.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Jeez, what's up with this Corrado hate lately? So a young D-man with some potential is hitting a few bumps early in his development, big deal.

His bad play is being grossly exaggerated, as well, just like Horvat's at the rookie tournament. A week and a preseason game later and he's a blue-chipper again. :laugh:

---

As for the Subban thing, it's inappropriate because we live in a very sensitive and PC society. I bet a lot of black people wouldn't find that offensive but there are definitely some that would, so you can't say it. As a person with brown skin, I wouldn't be offended whatsoever if I was referred to as "the guy with the darker skin" just to make things easy, but that's just me :P

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I didnt realise that a distinguishing characteristic used to differentiate between 2 similar objects in a photo has nothing to do with the content of a photo

circles.jpg

or

2) the blue square

Its not the same thing, Subban was clearly in the middle and that alone was perfect. While I agree that there can be times when its easier to point someone out using a descriptor like that and I in fact laugh when some people go awkwardly out of their way to avoid using one, this was not one of those times.

JA

Its not the same thing, Subban was clearly in the middle and that alone was perfect. While I agree that there can be times when its easier to point someone out using a descriptor like that and I in fact laugh when some people go awkwardly out of their way to avoid using one, this was not one of those times.

I think it's a little closer to this:

"Hockey player Patrick Kane (the one in hockey gear) accepts the Conn Smythe Trophy at the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals."

1372135618000-USP-NHL-Stanley-Cup-Final-Chicago-Blackhawks-at-B-020-1306250237_4_3.jpg

I think enough readers recognize the name Subban, especially considering his brother's popularity. It becomes amusing to point out something people are already aware of because of its redundancy. If this had been somebody else, this might be a different issue.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I don't think it came across the way the caption writer thought it would. I don't think it's hurtful; I think he was trying to draw humor from the fact he was pointing out something very obvious (Captain Obvious). Of course, some people jump at that right away when it might look discriminatory.

Ha? A racial joke? at very best it is extremely poor taste, and deserves to be frowned upon

JA

Ha? A racial joke? at very best it is extremely poor taste, and deserves to be frowned upon

Perhaps it's an instance of poor judgment, but I don't think the caption was developed out of malice or with an intention to be discriminatory. The only possible explanation I can see is that it was meant to be taken as humor -- pointing out which one Subban is (a name that I feel most hockey fans would recognize instantly) is redundant.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

circles.jpg

or

2) the blue square

You have tried to take the human element out of a subject that is part of the core of humanity...

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Sure...
I understand your position...
And I can even understand that political correctness has not permeated in Papua New Guinea culture...
But he could have just said in the middle...
To avoid controversy.
American culture has spread far and wide...
That people should know how touchy race is in Western culture.

I also looked back at a couple of mainstream American newspapers back in the 1910s...
To see how they described Jack Johnson...
An African-American champion boxer...
In the coverage of his championship fight...
And the worst derogatory term I have seen is "black man" in a San Francisco newspaper.
Most papers are able to focus on the fight...
And largely avoided any name-calling.

When the majority of newspapers back then could hold back their prejudices...
At a time when it was widely acceptable...
There is no reason for something like this to happen nowadays.

I think the Papua New Guinea thing was a joke, Im sure that is not what the PNG stands for

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Editors were careless on both the Province and Sun but that was a default caption from Getty images... whoever is running that is definitley racist.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
People seem to be confusing unprofessional/oblivious with racist. Anyway it's become a massive unnecessary distraction in an other wise positive thread.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
...back to your team for a moment....I really like your additions of Vey and Bonino (who my Sharks NEVER should have traded). Not sure how that will relate to the standings this year, but I really think they will be solid guys for you for plenty of years.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

You're overreacting. The purpose of the caption is to clearly identify who the goal scorer is in the photo. If Subban's jersey number had been visible in the photo, the caption could have (and likely would have) read "teammates celebrate goal by Jordan Subban (42)". But the number wasn't visible. What should the caption have read? "... goal by Jordan Subban (middle)". That's safe, but ambiguous.

Black people are black. White people are white. That's not racist, it's just a fact*. Now, if we're throwing bananas or suggesting that PK is too "flamboyant" (code for uppity black guy who doesn't know his place), then that's racism. (I happen to think that a lot of the things said about PK wouldn't be said if he were a white guy named Peter Smith).

*That is, if they self-identify themselves as such.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As with most promising young players who are still junior eligible, Horvat won't be judged so much on where he is right now but where they think he could be in March if he were to be in the NHL. If they feel he can develop to handle a regular shift down the stretch and in the playoffs he'll stick as the NHL would be the best place for him to be. If they doubt he can reach that level he'll go back to junior but I think he'll get some regular season game to show what he has.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

How did Jordan Subban do....I seen the first shot first goal...but how was the rest of his game? As a big PK fan I've always been curious about this guy.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
How did Jordan Subban do....I seen the first shot first goal...but how was the rest of his game? As a big PK fan I've always been curious about this guy.

Best I've ever seen him. Was very noticeable and was, arguably, the best player on the ice for the Canucks.

Displayed great vision and wheels. Moved the puck quickly and wasn't afraid to jump into the play when the opportunity arose.

I recall one shift on the PK where he dumped the puck into the Shark zone and chased after it himself and kept it there for a bit.. Was bonkers.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
...back to your team for a moment....I really like your additions of Vey and Bonino (who my Sharks NEVER should have traded). Not sure how that will relate to the standings this year, but I really think they will be solid guys for you for plenty of years.

Wow I had no idea Bonino was a SJ draft pick until you just posted this and I looked it up. Funny how he is connected to the Sharks, Ducks and now Canucks.

I didnt watch the game in Stockton so I wont comment on Bonino, but I loved Vey's game last night in Vancouver. Showed more speed than I thought he had and his hands were as advertised.

Still hoping he gets a shot at the 2C spot this year with Bonino and Kassian on his wings, but we'll see. Either way its nice to finally have an NHL ready young guy who looks like he can step in and help produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad