Post-Game Talk: Games 1 and 2: Canucks win 4-2 / Canucks lose 5-2 (MOD Warning Post #61)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Don't think a few months should sway opinion like that. This will be (or should be) a long-term debate. McKeown has a lot of time to develop still... And of course the talk about bargaining position at the time of the trade will remain.

Going to be a long time before this one is resolved, IMO.

You have been consistent with your position on that trade, but with all due respect, this may not ever really get resolved in terms of win/lose the trade.

No one would doubt that McKeown is a good prospect, particularly taken at that position. But...

(A) We needed help in the top nine immediately, particularly when it comes to a playmaking forward who has paid his dues and scored at lower professional and amateur levels. And...

(B) Defensemen often do take longer to develop. McKeown might not make the NHL for another three four years. And not make much of an impact for five or six.

We traded some potential Future for some realistic Now.

Unless Vey totally flames out and McKeown becomes a key D-man, (which could be doubtful) then it will become an ordinary apples and oranges comparison.

If Vey becomes a play making center with some upside, then I am satisfied we got a good deal.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You have been consistent with your position on that trade, but with all due respect, this may not ever really get resolved in terms of win/lose the trade.

No one would doubt that McKeown is a good prospect, particularly taken at that position. But...

(A) We needed help in the top nine immediately, particularly when it comes to a playmaking forward who has paid his dues and scored at lower professional and amateur levels. And...

(B) Defensemen often do take longer to develop. McKeown might not make the NHL for another three four years. And not make much of an impact for five or six.

We traded some potential Future for some realistic Now.

Unless Vey totally flames out and McKeown becomes a key D-man, (which could be doubtful) then it will become an ordinary apples and oranges comparison.

If Vey becomes a play making center with some upside, then I am satisfied we got a good deal.

Agreed. As I said earlier ,it's also quite possible that both Vancouver and LA end up doing well in that trade. Not all trades have to have winners and losers. Some just have one organization trading from an area of strenghth to fill an area of weakness.
If McKeown ends up being a good player for LA and Vey for the Canucks this still seems like a good trade to me. We need some offensive players right now.

Last edited:

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Hmm, which one was he? Can you get Getty Images to describe him for me? :sarcasm:

He was great. Excellent decision making all night long, played about as well as you could hope really. My notes from the previous GDT:

There is just something electric about Subban when you watch him play, and that's not exactly something we have been able to say about our defensive prospects over the past few years.

If he could just grow a couple inches, he would be a stud prospect. I think his ceiling is still pretty high though.

arsmaster*

So has there been any reports on on the Stockton game?

Wanting to know how the Burrows-Bonino-Kassian line looked.

Sounds like something got jumbled because all we know is Jensen assisted Bonino's goal, so maybe it was a PP goal or they juggled the lines.

I doubt we'll ever know.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Loved Subban's few dippsy doo's through the forecheck last night, looked really poised with the puck even though a couple were risky plays they worked out alright.

Tbh he looked like the best defender out there imo. Hope he pans out b/c Nucks could use some offensive flair from the defense, a guy who can skate it out under pressure rather than always dump it out or make low % passes or get pinned in the zone. Fun player to watch regardless, hope he keeps it up. Thought his passing was on point too, not this bounce it back and forth laterally w/ his d-partner but seems offensive minded about pushing the puck up ice and very capable of doing so effectively.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Why the hell are the Canucks such a bush-league organization that they can't post boxscores for both of their preseason games last night? They realize people are closely tracking the results of these things but I have to dig through half the internet to see who got on the scoreboard in their 5-2 loss? This is ridiculous and reminiscent of the 90s.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Could't agree more regarding th Vey trade.

Does anyone know how Bonino looked in the other game?

No one knows, it's a mystery. Even the highlights from that game in the Sharks GDT only show Sestito getting punched and a bunch of fans. Probably the worst highlights pack I have ever seen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why the **** are the Canucks such a bush-league organization that they can't post boxscores for both of their preseason games last night? They realize people are closely tracking the results of these things but I have to dig through half the internet to see who got on the scoreboard in their 5-2 loss? This is ridiculous and reminiscent of the 90s.

No one knows, it's a mystery. Even the highlights from that game in the Sharks GDT only show Sestito getting punched and a bunch of fans. Probably the worst highlights pack I have ever seen.

The whole 2 games/1 night thing is stupid enough to begin with.

Fans want to follow these games and it makes it impossible. Toss on the non-coverage of the California game and it's a joke.

Neither team is playing tonight - why couldn't one game have been yesterday and one today?

arsmaster*

Why the **** are the Canucks such a bush-league organization that they can't post boxscores for both of their preseason games last night? They realize people are closely tracking the results of these things but I have to dig through half the internet to see who got on the scoreboard in their 5-2 loss? This is ridiculous and reminiscent of the 90s.

Has nothing to do with the Canucks. They don't collect stats, the NHL does, and the San Jose team site has nothing from that game either.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
It's partly because there was a venue change to accommodate Miss Perry, it's probably why there was no proper broadcast of the game as well. If it's in the Shark Tank we probably get proper box scores and it's televised.

Can't really say I care too much about an inter-squad game. It's like a pre-pre-season game, big whoop.

Here are the numbers if anyones interested:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks-san-jose-sharks-2014092318/

Just the basic info as you can see.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Why the hell are the Canucks such a bush-league organization that they can't post boxscores for both of their preseason games last night? They realize people are closely tracking the results of these things but I have to dig through half the internet to see who got on the scoreboard in their 5-2 loss? This is ridiculous and reminiscent of the 90s.

You do realize that nobody has the boxscore right? Not the NHL, not TSN, not SAN JOSE. This is such an inconsequential thing to be getting upset about, especially given that it's very likely not the Canucks' fault.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
You do realize that nobody has the boxscore right? Not the NHL, not TSN, not SAN JOSE. This is such an inconsequential thing to be getting upset about, especially given that it's very likely not the Canucks' fault.
That's the problem. Even if the San Jose Sharks aren't tracking the stats because it's less valuable to them, the Canucks should have a guy there AT LEAST writing down the roster and goals/assists.

It's not hard and it really doesn't deserve any excuses.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That's the problem. Even if the San Jose Sharks aren't tracking the stats because it's less valuable to them, the Canucks should have a guy there AT LEAST writing down the roster and goals/assists.

It's not hard and it really doesn't deserve any excuses.

So your definition of a bush-league organization is one that doesn't send a designated statistic tracker to a non-NHL arena to follow an exhibition game between two barely NHL calibre lineups? To record stats that are essentially deleted and forgotten once the pre-season is over?

To each their own, I suppose. But that is one mole hill that you're turning into Everest.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
My favourite part was when they asked Doug Lidster for the score of the Stockton game during the post- game scrum.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
So your definition of a bush-league organization is one that doesn't send a designated statistic tracker to a non-NHL arena to follow an exhibition game between two barely NHL calibre lineups? To record stats that are essentially deleted and forgotten once the pre-season is over?

To each their own, I suppose. But that is one mole hill that you're turning into Everest.

http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014010024

How is this an acceptable recap of a game?

Meanwhile was a full boxscore available when Patrick Kane scored 10 points in his Buffalo beer league regular season match.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/patrick-kane-scores-10-points-in-beer-league-game-1.2715874
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kane-kinda-lights-up-beer-league/

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No, it's not the end of the world or anything.

But in this day and age, it's pretty ridiculous and unacceptable - from the Canucks, Sharks, and the NHL.

No TV coverage is one thing. But to not even be tracking stats properly for a preseason game is a joke.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
http://canucks.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014010024

How is this an acceptable recap of a game?

Meanwhile was a full boxscore available when Patrick Kane scored 10 points in his Buffalo beer league regular season match.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/patrick-kane-scores-10-points-in-beer-league-game-1.2715874
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kane-kinda-lights-up-beer-league/

Patrick Kane may not spend a lot of money on gratuities but he does have a personal stat tracker.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad