200w.gif

penguins-pittsburgh-penguins.gif

giphy.gif

200w.gif

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Just realized Guentzel is on pace for 101 points.
wow !
if he scored on half those great chances from Sid imagine what he would be on pace for.

Seriously though, didnt realize Jake was coming around. I missed the late western road trip games. Good news for that line and the Pens! They need him to be that good.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It's been pretty simple: If this team gets solid goaltending, they should win most games.

The underlying numbers have been there, but not always the conversion %s, and surprisingly, this team is generating the most offense in the NHL at 5v5. Zohorna has been a savior to the bottom 6, along with not Carter.

shotPlot-5v5-xG.png

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's been pretty simple: If this team gets solid goaltending, they should win most games.

The underlying numbers have been there, but not always the conversion %s, and surprisingly, this team is generating the most offense in the NHL at 5v5. Zohorna has been a savior to the bottom 6, along with not Carter.

shotPlot-5v5-xG.png
Yes. Its no secret the Pens weakest link has been in net. Pretty much Jarry is good a third of the games, sucks a third of the games, is injured the other third.
His play off series against the Islanders was ugly.

Hail , Hail MAF

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yes. Its no secret the Pens weakest link has been in net. Pretty much Jarry is good a third of the games, sucks a third of the games, is injured the other third.
His play off series against the Islanders was ugly.

Hail , Hail MAF

Injarry always lives up to his name.

Reactions: wgknestrick

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I hope to see them continue to commit to playing sound defense through the neutral zone which they've been successful at recently. Especially with leads.

Columbus is bad so if they can get up early on them I'd love to see if they can continue keeping opposing scoring low.

If geno still has his legs from last game that line could feast tonight, should be an entertaining watch.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
hope they don't get too cocky after a few OK wins...This team will have to grind out every single win from now on.. Once you start winning, everything feels easier, the puck slows down, the sticks are not squeezing too hard...keep them coming

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I posted my video analysis of the new neutral zone layout. If they employ it here again tonight, they should give Columbus absolute fits between the Blues. I feel like it kinda changes the perceived trajectory of the team.

This presumes the goaltending lives up to league average.
If Jarry struggles early, Sully should not be hesitant to pull him.

Note that I thought Hellberg should have gotten the nod last game. I admit to being wrong :)

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I hope to see them continue to commit to playing sound defense through the neutral zone which they've been successful at recently. Especially with leads.

Columbus is bad so if they can get up early on them I'd love to see if they can continue keeping opposing scoring low.

If geno still has his legs from last game that line could feast tonight, should be an entertaining watch.
Sulli looked so angry he was having an aneurism when a team scored a goal (more so than his regular anuretic look) over the win run... I really do think they are trying to limit last seasons hemorrhaging of goals thing they had going on.
Good start :thumbu:

Reactions: Shaftception

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I posted my video analysis of the new neutral zone layout. If they employ it here again tonight, they should give Columbus absolute fits between the Blues. I feel like it kinda changes the perceived trajectory of the team.

Just read it, was a great read Jesse, especially this part for me:

I held off on any sweeping generalizations because I wasn’t entirely sure the change wasn’t just circumstantial. But not only did we see it in action at home after the road trip, we heard Sullivan discuss it courtesy of the Penguins social media team.

This has been my worry as well, not knowing if it was just a blip of fortunate play or a true system adjustment that could reliably be expected to see them commit to going forward.

The continual 2-3 man cycling forecheck that was easy to exploit and counter, especially if they got caught too deep to properly help on the backcheck, producing easy rushes up ice was maddening to keep see getting exposed, especially against the speedier teams. This along with occasionally poorly timed pinches leading to odd-man breaks has literally killed them over and over since it lost them the Caps series in 2018.

If they continue this kind of dedicated structural play through the neutral zone it'll be such a welcome surprise after years, YEARS, of the status quo continuing to get beat by endless odd-man rushes that never had to occur in the first place if they just played a less needlessly aggressive game.

Great stuff, hope it's a permanent adjustment and continues to produce results.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Just read it, was a great read Jesse, especially this part for me:

This has been my worry as well, not knowing if it was just a blip of fortunate play or a true system adjustment that could reliably be expected to see them commit to going forward.

The continual 2-3 man cycling forecheck that was easy to exploit and counter, especially if they got caught too deep to properly help on the backcheck, producing easy rushes up ice was maddening to keep see getting exposed, especially against the speedier teams. This along with occasionally poorly timed pinches leading to odd-man breaks has literally killed them over and over since it lost them the Caps series in 2018.

If they continue this kind of dedicated structural play through the neutral zone it'll be such a welcome surprise after years, YEARS, of the status quo continuing to get beat by endless odd-man rushes that never had to occur in the first place if they just played a less needlessly aggressive game.

Great stuff, hope it's a permanent adjustment and continues to produce results.

I feel like they tested this out against Colorado. That was the first time I saw it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Gruden recalled from Wilkes…why? its not Carter…he’s on the ice lol…do we have an injury or illness to a center, because Gruden is a center…

Reactions: KrisLetAngry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad