GDT: Game VIII: Avs @ Lightning | 5 PM MT | 19 October, 2019

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I was at the game... neither goal was impressive. Even though it was listed as a SHG, it was right at the end of a 4 on 4 when DU got their man back and Newhook just snapped in a juicy rebound for an easy goal. He had one other decent rush up the ice on a PP in the 3rd period, but that's about it.

Helleson didn't even get credited with the goal by the announcer, so maybe it was tipped? Either way, that wasn't very impressive either, he just sort of lobbed it from the point and it was screened well enough that the goalie didn't see it. Beyond that I didn't see much from Helleson at all. He didn't get a ton of Ice time, and when he did, he was just a sentinel down low. Didn't pinch in at all, and was just a blob of meh out there.

So... busts?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
GfmHP4x.jpg

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have 14 players playing at a 40+ point pace and their goalies has been among the top three players in the game in at least seven of the eight games. I'm not going to complain.

Every point counts, no matter when you earn them.

Reactions: 5280

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Game review:

• I love that every game a different line seems to step up and be our best. This game it was Jost & co's turn. They absolutely dominated Tampa. Wilson and Compher's passing was amazing, and Jost's finish was fantastic. They were also defensively responsible. It's amazing that this is our 3rd line consider it was our 2nd line at the end of the playoffs last year.
  • The other three lines all had their moments as well, although the MacKinnon line looked terrible defensively at several points. I might be tempted to switch Donskoi and Rantanen just so MacKinnon has a more defensively responsible right winger.
  • EJ was a beast tonight. Constantly strong on pucks and physical. Exactly what you want in a top shut-down defenseman.
  • Girard was at times the best player on the ice. Really good puck management from G.
  • Graves had his struggles, but I like him with Cole.
  • Zadorov was fine. Nothing really stood out for me there.
  • Makar should be sent down if he keeps playing like this. They already moved him off the top PP unit. I think right now Barberio would be a better choice. A lot of our defensive breakdowns happened with Makar on the ice, and at least a few I caught were directly his fault. He also doesn't seem confident with the puck, frequently turning down chances to jump into the play. I say send him down until he's absolutely dominating the AHL.
  • Francouz looked great. A bunch of 5 star saves, and the only ones that beat him were tips, including a really sick one by Hedman.
  • Finally, gotta give props to Calvert for getting into two fights with guys significantly bigger than him. He definitely won the Hedman fight too. Dude is an absolute beauty. I love having Calvert on the team.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Game review:

• I love that every game a different line seems to step up and be our best. This game it was Jost & co's turn. They absolutely dominated Tampa. Wilson and Compher's passing was amazing, and Jost's finish was fantastic. They were also defensively responsible. It's amazing that this is our 3rd line consider it was our 2nd line at the end of the playoffs last year.
  • The other three lines all had their moments as well, although the MacKinnon line looked terrible defensively at several points. I might be tempted to switch Donskoi and Rantanen just so MacKinnon has a more defensively responsible right winger.
  • EJ was a beast tonight. Constantly strong on pucks and physical. Exactly what you want in a top shut-down defenseman.
  • Girard was at times the best player on the ice. Really good puck management from G.
  • Makar should be sent down if he keeps playing like this. They already moved him off the top PP unit. I think right now Barberio would be a better choice. A lot of our defensive breakdowns happened with Makar on the ice, and at least a few I caught were directly his fault. He also doesn't seem confident with the puck, frequently turning down chances to jump into the play. I say send him down until he's absolutely dominating the AHL.
  • Francouz looked great. A bunch of 5 star saves, and the only ones that beat him were tips, including a really sick one by Hedman.
  • Finally, gotta give props to Calvert for getting into two fights with guys significantly bigger than him. He definitely won the Hedman fight too. Dude is an absolute beauty. I love having Calvert on the team.

So the only improvement Sakic needs to make to the team in order to win the SC is to replace Makar?:sarcasm:

Last edited:

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
How did we look?!
Like we were playing back to back games. Goaltending is the main reason we won. Vasilevskiy looked terrible and Francouz looked amazing. If the Avs and Tampa switched goalies last night it would have been a blood bath.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This is amazing, defeating teams like Washington, Tampa and Bruins, very cool. The strange thing is everybody is feeling we can play so much better. ;-) Maybe this is the start of something really good. Like stated the goalies have a huge part in this.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Game review:

Some good assessments, but I have to disagree on Makar. I actually thought he was pretty good last night. I felt like he was getting pucks out of the zone with good quick passes.

I don’t think it’s time to send him down. He’s flashed at times, struggled at others. He is even and has 6/7 points, I know he’s had some blunders in his own zone, but the situation is not that dire.

And if Makar was to be sent down I think we would see just how immobile our defensive core is. They already look pretty slow at times. Makar is very important to this team.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Some good assessments, but I have to disagree on Makar. I actually thought he was pretty good last night. I felt like he was getting pucks out of the zone with good quick passes.

I don’t think it’s time to send him down. He’s flashed at times, struggled at others. He is even and has 6/7 points, I know he’s had some blunders in his own zone, but the situation is not that dire.

And if Makar was to be sent down I think we would see just how immobile our defensive core is. They already look pretty slow at times. Makar is very important to this team.

I think if we replaced him with Barberio we wouldn't lose that much mobility, but we'd gain a lot more reliability in our own zone. I agree he's been pretty good with the puck on his stick, but I'm legitimately concerned with his defensive play. I don't even think sending him down is all that drastic - he's a young player. We send Timmins down too. Was that drastic?

As for the points, well in this game he got an assist because Kadri made an amazing play and singlehandedly created a goal. I haven't seem many points from Makar this season where he was the primary person responsible for the goal.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of sending him down, but I worry that if he keeps making these bad defensive plays it's going to hurt his confidence for the whole season. I already mentioned I think he's being tentative offensively - I suspect it's because he's so worried about making mistakes defensively he doesn't want to take any chances. If you play tentative in the NHL you don't belong there.

Frankly, he is not the same player right now that we saw last year in the playoffs. The reason I want to send him down is so he can go find that player, then come back when he's ready. The team is rolling and everyone is playing well - we don't need him right now. We might need playoff Makar down the stretch when the rest of the team isn't playing so well.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
You guys really want to send down a point per game D-man?

I've only been able to watch two games (Boston and Calgary) and he looked pretty good.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I agree. If JB was going to send Makar down then he would/should have done so after the Panthers game. You don't make unnecessary make moves that might affect a young player's confidence. That's the case with both Makar and Jost. We already knew going into this season that there would be ups and downs with our young D this season. Give it a couple of months and let's see how we are doing.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad