GDT: Game VIII: Avs @ Lightning | 5 PM MT | 19 October, 2019

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
You learn to live with mistakes Makar makes now so you do not deal with them in the future. He is currently tied with Josi and Hedman for points, as a rookie. Any young defensemen is going to make blunders that make you scared and developing them requires buffering for the storms they bring. Makar looking less impressive than in the playoffs but can be purely put down to that team having Barrie and him distracting the other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think Makar will be fine, he’s made some errors but he’s not been that big of a liability. Last night I thought he looked better and even had a really good scoring chance. The first Tampa goal I put more on the top line standing around more than I do on him and Z. Let him learn.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That Kadri goal was beastly wow. Question for the stats crowd, why are his possession numbers kinda bad this year? Historically he's a possession beast and big play driver. I know most of you have said he's been solid this year.. Has he been getting hard matchups? In his own zone a lot? Linemates not driving play enough? Really curious. I've been wanting to tune into a game but haven't been able to get time to watch properly.

His line has mostly been average in that area except for two games. One was yesterday when Tampa's top six got the best of them and the other was the Caps game when they were matched up against Ovechkin's line. His line has been playing really well overall so I think those numbers will eventually trend in the positive direction.

Reactions: 1specter

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Man if we can get this kind of consistency from the other three lines I think we might be in for a top 5 team type season. At some point you have to think our top line shows up consistently.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
8 game point streak for MacKinnon
EminentTotalGreathornedowl-small.gif

And he hasn't even played a good game yet by his usual standards. That's what a game breaker he is. Just needs a little bit of room to get a shot off and he can bury it.

If he gets going this year, look out. He's gonna put up huge numbers.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
And he hasn't even played a good game yet by his usual standards. That's what a game breaker he is. Just needs a little bit of room to get a shot off and he can bury it.

If he gets going this year, look out. He's gonna put up huge numbers.
When he has the mentality that he needs to do it himself thats when he will get going. That entire first line needs to pretend that Kadri aint here. Its early but it almost feels like they arent trying as hard knowing that the other lines can pick up the slack whereas last season they knew that if they didnt show up every night that there would be a good chance the team loses.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
When he has the mentality that he needs to do it himself thats when he will get going. That entire first line needs to pretend that Kadri aint here. Its early but it almost feels like they arent trying as hard knowing that the other lines can pick up the slack whereas last season they knew that if they didnt show up every night that there would be a good chance the team loses.

Yeah I think that may be part of it. They don't feel like they need to bring it every game because they finally have some depth scoring.

Honestly, I'm ok with letting them take their foot off the peddle for a bit if the team keeps playing well. Nate's young but he plays such an exhausting style and so does Landy who isn't a spring chicken anymore.

Best case scenario they keep winning, and the top line starts to dial it up in the second half of the season, so they're fresh and feeling confident for a playoff run.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I agree with most of what you are saying so sorry to cherry pick just this, but...

Yeah, I think sending Timmins down was a bit drastic. Especially since the team went out of it's way to make such a big deal about how he unanimously made the team. To send him down after just 2 games when it's not like he played like **** or something was.... drastic. I really still don't understand why we did it, other than we were sort of caught by surprise at Cole's injury progress...

Still I'd rather see Timmins in than Barbs.. I get that may not be a short term benefit, but I want this team to have strong defensive depth come 2020.

I'd rather Timmins than Barbs too. I think to me it's obvious that the coaching staff expected to see certain things out of Timmins, and he didn't show them (either in games or practise or both). But hey, maybe he's looked great with the Eagles and we can just switch him and Makar ;)

1) I think you are overrating Barberio and underrating what Makar has been bringing. And 2) It might be a decision they make in the future, but I think that dialing back his responsibilities is the first step of a couple they can do first. Sending him down right now seems drastic to me.

Also, I don’t think you can compare Timmins growth curve with Makar’s. They are two different players that are having different progressions and should be treated differently.

I'm not comparing Timmins and Makar's growth curve. I was just trying to show that sending a kid down to the A is not a drastic move - it's normal.

As for Barbs vs Makar, maybe Makar is wayyy better already, but I don't think so. I don't know how we can quantify that though.

Also, see below:

Makar is almost PPG as a defenseman, he won't be sent down. He is still a rookie learning to play in the NHL, give it time.

I agree we should give it time. My original post said "if he keeps playing this way..."
Also, "he won't be sent down" is not an argument against "he should be sent down". I'm not making a prediction here.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
This thread is so funny to read through. Every player who is getting shit on in one page scores a goal on the next page.

This team is just a joy right now.

Reactions: MarkT

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Without a doubt. It was a mistake from Bednar to continue playing his ice cold goaltending tandem, it almost resulted in them missing the playoffs. Luckily we got hot right at the very end.
Still don't think that's a decision Bednar can make, that's more on Sakic. And besides we had 2 potential starters on our roster, it was just unfortunate that both went cold at the exact same time.

Good for us that both goalies are playing great right now, but as last season showed us, that can change quickly.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Still don't think that's a decision Bednar can make, that's more on Sakic. And besides we had 2 potential starters on our roster, it was just unfortunate that both went cold at the exact same time.

Good for us that both goalies are playing great right now, but as last season showed us, that can change quickly.

Last time I checked Bednar is the coach and decided to start Grubauer on back to back nights opposed to starting the called up Francouz... how is that on Sakic exactly?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Last time I checked Bednar is the coach and decided to start Grubauer on back to back nights opposed to starting the called up Francouz... how is that on Sakic exactly?
Sure, you can blame Bednar for those 2-3 games Varly missed but not for the decision to keep Franc in the AHL when both goalies were struggeling. They were desperately trying to get at least ONE of them going and in the end it worked. But granted - it was close.

Reactions: MarkT

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Let’s start talking shit early about a player so we can beat the blues. I’m having a hard time doing this right now though lmao. Makar is an overwhelmed rookie who couldn’t ever score a goal on Binnington?

Reactions: 21 and MarkT

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I feel Avalanche is playing a Russian game right now relying on speed, technique and blistering counter attacks. Probably a very frustrating team to play against, opponents losing even when playing better the majority of the game. Facing the Avs you can't relax too much, that's for sure. The goalies being amazing and then you get killed in counter attacks.

I love it

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Let’s start talking **** early about a player so we can beat the blues. I’m having a hard time doing this right now though lmao. Makar is an overwhelmed rookie who couldn’t ever score a goal on Binnington?

Useless

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Let’s start talking **** early about a player so we can beat the blues. I’m having a hard time doing this right now though lmao. Makar is an overwhelmed rookie who couldn’t ever score a goal on Binnington?

Bet he's not even 5'11.25"

shrimp

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad