Post-Game Talk: Game VII Pens win vs Avs: I dreamed a dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If/when this team resorts to looking like shit again, let's remember this game for what this group of players is capable of. These little glimpses of inspired play happened under Johnston, too.
I think Sully deserves a lot more rope than MJ, but I get your point. Nonetheless we played with purpose and structure last night. Whether this is a one off or not time will tell.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think the Avs had that degree of an edge. Sometimes these stats don't tell the whole story. Heck the final score wasn't representative of how the game was played. But for at least last nights game, WE were the better team. And I don't think the AV's took the night off. They are arguably the fastest team in hockey but we kept them to the outside quite a bit despite what some ''fancy stats'' might indicate. We kept up with their pace and largely turned their turnovers into bonified scoring chances. We were opportunistic and dictated a lot of what happened. And our 3rd line accorded themselves nicely against Mackinnon, Makar and crew. PK was outstanding. Sure hope they can bottle this effort. That said we're only 3-4.
Instances like this is why I can never take these advanced stats too seriously. "We just ran into a hot goalie! Look at all the HDCF%!" Maybe, or maybe these stats are just incredibly flawed because they can't take into account any number of factors :dunno:. Jarry made a couple of big time saves, but for the most part, the Pens carried play in that game.

Zahorna can move but his actual ability to make quicker moves is just slow. Now big body but doesn't play big. Not a fan as he is just not showing me over the last 2 years he wants to get dirty and bang with that size.
It's OK. We all come to realizations at different times. You'll see the light eventually. I have faith in you.

I think Sully deserves a lot more rope than MJ, but I get your point. Nonetheless we played with purpose and structure last night. Whether this is a one off or not time will tell.
Johnston was only here a year and a half. It's been 5 years since Sully won a playoff series. How much more rope does he deserve? :laugh:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Them they say 'Jarry never steals a game for the team' just witness last night, Jarry saving the team from giving up 1, then 2, then a landslide of goals.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Zahorna can move but his actual ability to make quicker moves is just slow. Now big body but doesn't play big. Not a fan as he is just not showing me over the last 2 years he wants to get dirty and bang with that size. Pens will move POJ as Shea is what they prefer. Get a RD and have to get Carter off the ice,

You don't have to be a banger to be a successful linemate. Z's best attribute is his ability to keep pucks alive and maintain possession due to his wingspan. He typically comes out with the puck when it's in the corner

This is especially useful/needed on this team since they tend to be a "1 shot and done" in the OZ. Now those blocked or missed shots that go along the boards have a chance to be retrieved

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Instances like this is why I can never take these advanced stats too seriously. "We just ran into a hot goalie! Look at all the HDCF%!" Maybe, or maybe these stats are just incredibly flawed because they can't take into account any number of factors :dunno:. Jarry made a couple of big time saves, but for the most part, the Pens carried play in that game.

It's OK. We all come to realizations at different times. You'll see the light eventually. I have faith in you.

Johnston was only here a year and a half. It's been 5 years since Sully won a playoff series. How much more rope does he deserve? :laugh:
Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not proposing we keep Sully, but what I'm saying is he's deserving of more consideration than MJ with say a one off performance. We never looked all that good with MJ. We have at times under Sully. Totally agree with you about the ''fancy stats''.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Them they say 'Jarry never steals a game for the team' just witness last night, Jarry saving the team from giving up 1, then 2, then a landslide of goals.
But that much is true. He never steals the game for us. Last night, the entire Pens team showed up - every single line on offense and every single line on defense.

That hasn't happened since like February dude.

Jarry has pretty much never stolen a game for us in spite of poor performances elsewhere in the lineup. Much less has he ever done that in a high-pressure scenario (Last 1/4 of the season + playoffs).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
But that much is true. He never steals the game for us. Last night, the entire Pens team showed up - every single line on offense and every single line on defense.

That hasn't happened since like February dude.

Jarry has pretty much never stolen a game for us in spite of poor performances elsewhere in the lineup. Much less has he ever done that in a high-pressure scenario (Last 1/4 of the season + playoffs).

Yeah that game last night is what I expect out of Jarry most nights at his cap hit and contract.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Hope you get well fast
Not me, grand mum, broken hip... disastrous for living comfortably in her own home waiting for the last bus. Now.... pain, misery, uncomfortable, unknown ...
sad.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
While I'm happy with performance and a W, I am also annoyed. This win has pretty much given Sullivan all the rope he needs for the remainder of this year. Even if they lose next 20 games, and Dubas calls him in to can him, all Sully needs to do is say Avalanche, and thats the end of the conversation. He walks away and is still pens coach.

As stated, hope this may be a start of them actually playing like they should, but fool me once.....

BobCole

May 21, 2014
While I'm happy with performance and a W, I am also annoyed. This win has pretty much given Sullivan all the rope he needs for the remainder of this year. Even if they lose next 20 games, and Dubas calls him in to can him, all Sully needs to do is say Avalanche, and thats the end of the conversation. He walks away and is still pens coach.

As stated, hope this may be a start of them actually playing like they should, but fool me once.....

Do people actually believe they wouldn't fire Sully if the team lost 20 straight? The hyperbole here is nuts.

Reactions: Genetic and Icarium

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Do people actually believe they wouldn't fire Sully if the team lost 20 straight? The hyperbole here is nuts.
Yes.

Take a look at Sully's track record since 18 and then also consider ownership signing him to a juicy new contract coming off of repeated failure.

Hyperbole?? Methinks not.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Let's choose to celebrate a win where we soundly beat legit contenders and our 3rd line and bottom pair performed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad