Post-Game Talk: Game VII Pens win vs Avs: I dreamed a dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sully deserves another 5 year extension for that.
giphy.gif

Zohorna lines play in their opponents end of the ice.
This has been true every time he's gotten a chance here.
Reach, speed and a willingness to disrupt is a very valuable combination.
Rather curious to see him get an audition in the top 6 if injury strikes. Sullivan is going to give him a shot with Malkin soon.
He will get a longer look because Sullivan can't revert back to his faves like Heinen. The fact that Harkins sucked, predictably, also helps Zohorna. The only thing stopping Zohorna is Colin White doing really well, that will give Sully a rager and ask him to be called up and bench Zohorna to play him when really there's that one giant wanker on the 4th line we all want to see benched instead.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The fact that Danton Heinen is unsigned without a job anywhere makes me f***ing laugh, so many tossers here went hard in the paint for that vanilla piece of shit of a player that got opportunities he never deserved for way too long when others should have because he played some bizarre safe game that the coach convinced everyone was true.

Boston was asking him to wait to see if Poitras needed to go back after 9 games, in 7 games he's shown more than Heinen has in the last 2yrs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The fact that Danton Heinen is unsigned without a job anywhere makes me f***ing laugh, so many tossers here went hard in the paint for that vanilla piece of shit of a player that got opportunities he never deserved for way too long when others should have because he played some bizarre safe game that the coach convinced everyone was true.

Boston was asking him to wait to see if Poitras needed to go back after 9 games, in 7 games he's shown more than Heinen has in the last 2yrs.
I mean Heinen did score 18 goals here his first year here.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
giphy.gif

He will get a longer look because Sullivan can't revert back to his faves like Heinen. The fact that Harkins sucked, predictably, also helps Zohorna. The only thing stopping Zohorna is Colin White doing really well, that will give Sully a rager and ask him to be called up and bench Zohorna to play him when really there's that one giant wanker on the 4th line we all want to see benched instead.
You mean the Heinen who was repeatedly scratched or buried on the 4th line with the lowest ice time on the team?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Things are beginning to shake out and take shape. Z cementing that 3rd line role is huge. One less roster spot to worry about.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
That’s what it looks like when they put in a 60 minute effort. They can do it, this team is absolutely better than what we’ve seen so far. They’re good when they want to be.

Great win. Gotta keep it going on Saturday.

Definitely a full 60 min effort. Those have been way too far between.

But this still remains a .500 team. They're a 50/50 bet against the average to poor teams. The elite teams they'll lose more often than not.

They just don't have the legs for a full 60 minutes. I was all aboard the previous thought process of: let's save ourselves for the playoffs,. Until I saw they can't just flip the switch when April rolls around.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Very solid overall effort. They actually committed to team defense. Colorado didn’t have a ton of great chances.

PK super solid. Jarry too.

Reactions: Ryder71

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
How big of an upgrade has Reilly Smith been over Zucker? Most, including myself, saw it as a slightly better than lateral move, but Zucker's never had a stretch this good. I didn't think he was a splash play type of guy. The first Dubas dub.
This will be determined by his play in the playoffs, in my opinion. Unless we miss, of course. Acquiring a 33 year old wing for the top 6 who just had a deep playoff run and might be titled down the stretch is a gamble.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
So for 3 years, I'm still in the "Why the f*** doesn't Big Z get more ice time club?" My boy has been a net positive just about every time he steps on the ice. Why am I the only one who sees it?

10 TOI mins last night. Why can't Sully roll 3 lines and let the 3rd line eat and take some minutes off the top 2?

zohorra96

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Since there isn't anything to complain about the game, I just want to say how much I miss Bob Errey.

Also, Reilly Smith for a third round pick may turn out to be quite the steal.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Zohorna's upside seems to be a play driving bottom-6 player, which is probably the highest upside forward they have (not named Yager or maybe Puustinen). I think the more appealing thing is that he and Eller seem to have some really good chemistry, so I really don't want them to break up that duo anytime soon.

This team doesn't need any young guys to come in and perform at legitimate top-6 levels, they just need to get some young guys who can be strong bottom-6 guys. Eller and Zohorna looks like 2/3 of their 3rd line going forward, I really hope they find a 3rd guy for those two.

I actually don't know that they have a great fit for those two. Even with what those two have shown so far, I think you need a natural goal scorer with them. I think Eller and Zohorna both have good playmaking skills and are good at opening up space, but you need someone who can finish their chances. You also need that guy to be good defensively, just from what is required in a bottom-6 role. I'm really not sure who fits that. Clone 2011 Tyler Kennedy and put him on that line and I think that would work really well.

Hell, if Kapanen was still here, I think he'd be a pretty damn good fit with those two. You'd never have the cap space to be able to afford him, though.
I wonder if Poulin can find his way into that spot as the season progresses... Maybe I'm reaching a bit too much, but I think he'd succeed there with those 2.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I'm going to give a minus to this game. It's the only home game this month I'm unable to go to and of course they put out their best game of the season.

Love to see it, let's keep it rolling!

Reactions: Andy99

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Things are beginning to shake out and take shape. Z cementing that 3rd line role is huge. One less roster spot to worry about.

We’ll see over the course of the season, but it’s hilarious what happens when the bottom half of the lineup can contribute.

Team’s badly needed another wave of younger players since the back to back Cups.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Feel like they didn’t have more than 2 great chances tonight tbhz
Yeah, that seemed off to me as well. Sure they garnered some nice chances but we largely kept them to the outside. But if we don't build on tonights performance it's all for not. I'd say if we play AT or close to this level we would win a large majority of games. Problem is I doubt we can or will maintain it.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wow Avs 13-4 edge in high danger chances and got blanked. God that feels good when we're on the other side of it and just win due to good finishing and goaltending.

View attachment 758635

We got something cooking with this 3rd line. Love to see the hunger.
I don't think the Avs had that degree of an edge. Sometimes these stats don't tell the whole story. Heck the final score wasn't representative of how the game was played. But for at least last nights game, WE were the better team. And I don't think the AV's took the night off. They are arguably the fastest team in hockey but we kept them to the outside quite a bit despite what some ''fancy stats'' might indicate. We kept up with their pace and largely turned their turnovers into bonified scoring chances. We were opportunistic and dictated a lot of what happened. And our 3rd line accorded themselves nicely against Mackinnon, Makar and crew. PK was outstanding. Sure hope they can bottle this effort. That said we're only 3-4.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Zahorna can move but his actual ability to make quicker moves is just slow. Now big body but doesn't play big. Not a fan as he is just not showing me over the last 2 years he wants to get dirty and bang with that size. Pens will move POJ as Shea is what they prefer. Get a RD and have to get Carter off the ice,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad