Post-Game Talk: Game VII Pens win vs Avs: I dreamed a dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not proposing we keep Sully, but what I'm saying is he's deserving of more consideration than MJ with say a one off performance. We never looked all that good with MJ. We have at times under Sully. Totally agree with you about the ''fancy stats''.
I'm not saying he's as bad as Johnston. I'm saying even Johnston teams could look good for a game here and there, so a nice win doesn't buy Sullivan any more rope from me. And he's been out of rope for quite some time if you ask me.

If they keep this up for a couple of weeks, then maybe I'll give him a little more rope.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Short sample size but this is exactly what we were talking about 2 years ago.

He might not do everything a coach loves but the eye test and numbers don't lie that he is a positive impact with 12 to 15 minutes of ES time.
This right here is the issue. It seems like actual results matter less than "sticking to the process" as outlined by the coach.

Too often Sullivan will try to "correct" players who are producing positive results just because they yield those results in a manner that isn't how he wants them to play. Goes back to my biggest issue with Sullivan in that he seems to want everyone to play the same way instead of playing players to their individual strengths.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
This right here is the issue. It seems like actual results matter less than "sticking to the process" as outlined by the coach.

Too often Sullivan will try to "correct" players who are producing positive results just because they yield those results in a manner that isn't how he wants them to play. Goes back to my biggest issue with Sullivan in that he seems to want everyone to play the same way instead of playing players to their individual strengths.

Yes Sully has this issue but I think it's more than just Sully.

He didn't stick in Calgary or Toronto either.

Again I am pro big Z.

I also agree Sully didn't let a guy like McCann do his thing. I definitely don't see him scoring 40 goals here but he was an asset and player we should have kept

Fordy

May 28, 2008

Again I am pro big Z.

I also agree Sully didn't let a guy like McCann do his thing. I definitely don't see him scoring 40 goals here but he was an asset and player we should have kept
well he was with calgary for 5 seconds and dubas decided to bring him back

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

He was a filler in Toronto during injuries and for Marlies depth. Dubas is the ex-GM of the Marlies and was always helping them out.
He played 2 games there. Scored in one of them and had solid analytics. Got waived when someone came back earlier than expected. I believe it was Knies.

It's not an indication of anything. If it was, the same damn GM would not have brought him here this summer.

We should be looking at performance over who someone's employer is and what a coach did. That was done a lot this summer on this board, and a lot of people's takes on the matter are already looking super bad.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's just refreshing to me that we're only 7 games into the season and instead of throwing his hands up about the bottom six Dubas actually took swift action to try and rectify their poor play by waiving Harkins and calling up big Z. And Dubas has been rewarded for that.

If Hextall were still here that bottom six would be unchanged for like 30 more games of this.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Again I am pro big Z.

Not sure Calgary is much different than here last year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's just refreshing to me that we're only 7 games into the season and instead of throwing his hands up about the bottom six Dubas actually took swift action to try and rectify their poor play by waiving Harkins and calling up big Z. And Dubas has been rewarded for that.

If Hextall were still here that bottom six would be unchanged for like 30 more games of this.
Now is Hinostroza going to sub in for anyone on L4? Based on TOI and play, you’d think Carter, and I still do because Nieto PKs lol…but Vensel had this to say from his From The Point article today: “You can’t help but think that recent call-up Vinnie Hinostroza will get a sweater soon, replacing Jeff Carter or, more likely, Matt Nieto.” So idk now..

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
@Radim Zohorna
@AuroraBorealis

So is the Z Fan Club a more is merry type of thing where we let everyone in? Or like an exclusive club that you had to get in at the beginning?

We're getting more applicants by the game, I think.
If you f*ck with me I f*ck with you. Let's get it boiz big Z coming for all the moms

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Who put you up to this? Wait I know, that damn rookie. I don't care if he's dominated every shift, I'm not going to take this. He's getting scratched.

Kind of an indictment of the quality of Pens reporters that no-one noticed the glaring system adjustment given the result and no-one had questions about it. Do any of the reporters watch the games?

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Given Accairi and Nieto have the second and third most pk time per game, I expect we get Hino for Carter and not Nieto Saturday night.

Reactions: Andy99

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Short sample size but this is exactly what we were talking about 2 years ago.

He might not do everything a coach loves but the eye test and numbers don't lie that he is a positive impact with 12 to 15 minutes of ES time.
He's making me think that Sullivan's system needs an effective individual forechecker to be effective. Usually it's a very fast guy like Hagelin or Tanev, but Zohorna has done a good job with his longer reach to hook guys just enough. This is also why Crosby's line struggles unless he puts in a lot of effort himself.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’re back to being last in the East, tied with Ottawa and Sabres, since the Caps won tonight…I tell you, Im going to be infuriated if the team goes back to playing fast and loose and perimeter, and not finishing shots tomorrow night against Ottawa’s skilled, young legs…their forward depth is tremendous…we have to keep up playing with structure and taking advantage of TOs…

Reactions: Gurglesons

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I'm not saying he's as bad as Johnston. I'm saying even Johnston teams could look good for a game here and there, so a nice win doesn't buy Sullivan any more rope from me. And he's been out of rope for quite some time if you ask me.

If they keep this up for a couple of weeks, then maybe I'll give him a little more rope.
Yep. They need to do this for like a month straight to even be considered in recovery mode. What do you expect next game? Likely an L with lackluster effort.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He's gonna need to keep this up for at least a ECF finish at worst to not be seen as a tool for some and the rest of us don't give a f*** what he does, he's not fooling us.

He's done this each season. Has a game or two where he gets the team playing well and then it goes back to a shit show.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Gurgs need to get on that GDT for tonight lol

Jarry first goalie off…I guess Hino is still sitting for Carter lol…

Reactions: Ugene Magic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad