GDT: GAME VII - Aves @ Deves: Balls to the Hall

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I do wish Jost would shoot it more. He registered barely any shots last night and he had a hell of a release when he played at UND. I would’ve thought putting him with a good playmaking winger would set him up for some good looks but so far that ain’t happening. I’d like to see Ghetto take that RW spot from Wilson and see how that trio does before trying something new with TJ.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Man, I took a beating in the Calvert thread when we signed him and I made it clear I preferred Comeau. Superior player at less cap hit, it’s not up for debate. Calvert is faster, but Comeau is still better defensively and is better offensively by a fair margin. Bigger, tougher guy too. Right handed.

I'd have been 100% okay with Calvert at 1.8m because then you are paying for a good 4th liner that can have spot duty up the lineup... at 2.85, you should be expecting a 3rd line player and Calvert simply isn't that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Man, I took a beating in the Calvert thread when we signed him and I made it clear I preferred Comeau. Superior player at less cap hit, it’s not up for debate. Calvert is faster, but Comeau is still better defensively and is better offensively by a fair margin. Bigger, tougher guy too. Right handed.
Yeah I had to just stop posting in that Calvert thread. I got torched for saying Comeau was both a better player and a better fit.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I do wish Jost would shoot it more. He registered barely any shots last night and he had a hell of a release when he played at UND. I would’ve thought putting him with a good playmaking winger would set him up for some good looks but so far that ain’t happening. I’d like to see Ghetto take that RW spot from Wilson and see how that trio does before trying something new with TJ.

I think it was @Avs44 who brought it up, but he isn’t even getting a shot off per game. The fact that he can’t even get into a position to shoot the puck once per game is a little concerning for his offensive game.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Great ride. It's amazing what this team can do when they put in a 60min effort. More please!

Regarding Jost: Dude is trying hard, and i mean REALLY hard to be an impact player. I'm still hopeful he will get there eventually. And if not - this Kamenev fella is looking promising ;)

Can't wait for Saturday - road trip is already a success.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd have been 100% okay with Calvert at 1.8m because then you are paying for a good 4th liner that can have spot duty up the lineup... at 2.85, you should be expecting a 3rd line player and Calvert simply isn't that.

Yeah basically this. I like Calvert and what he brings to a bottom 6, but at 2.85? Eesh.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
With JTC still out we need to keep JT at center for now. However when JTC is back I wouldn't mind trying this:

Top line
Kerfoot - Soda - Jost
Ghetto - Kam/JTC - Wilson/Dano
Nieto/Bourque - Kam/JTC - Wilson/Dano

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Calvert makes way more little good plays than Comeau and he only just started to play with Soderberg.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Calvert makes way more little good plays than Comeau and he only just started to play with Soderberg.

A 3rd liner is still supposed to produce offense. Through 7 games, nothing and historically has never been more than a 24 point guy. He's a 4th liner... a good one, but a 4th liner. You don't pay 4th liners nearly 3m per season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Meh. Calvert is a great 4th liner and that’s about it. Comeau was a good 3rd liner, and even if he did make some stupid plays here and there, he’s a clear upgrade on Calvert.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
A 3rd liner is still supposed to produce offense. Through 7 games, nothing and historically has never been more than a 24 point guy. He's a 4th liner... a good one, but a 4th liner. You don't pay 4th liners nearly 3m per season.

Comeau has 1 point. And calvert has only started to play with Soderberg. Historically hes also had seasons at 0.5 ppg, and is clutch in the playoffs.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The $$$ amount makes little difference to me, I'm still kinda iffy about the signing because it took the spot from a kid who probably could've done better offensively. But whatever, I do like Calvert's game. He's a smarter player than Comeau, though unfortunately he definitely won't score as much. I'm glad at least for a little guy he can bring it physically.

Also, one other thing I'm thrilled to see is that this team seems to have FINALLY figured out how to tip/deflect pucks in! It wasn't that long ago that only one guy on the roster (Slowest of the Bourques) could do it with any sort of regularity. At least Jost is showing up on the scoresheet in that capacity.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Comeau has 1 point. And calvert has only started to play with Soderberg. Historically hes also had seasons at 0.5 ppg, and is clutch in the playoffs.

Years and years ago... Calvert is a guy that got a lot of 3rd line usage in Columbus and didn't produce at a 3rd line level. Comeau has put up over 30 points 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I know we want to defend our own, but Calvert at 2.85m is a bad contract. The saving grace is that he is a good 4th liner that can play up in a pinch.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really do hope people aren't saying the Avs should've kept 33-year-old Comeau with a multi-year deal. I think that's silly talk. He was an interim guy who served his purpose. Dallas IMO will come to regret that deal in the coming seasons, sounds like they might already be.

Again, I really don't care if he's making, like, a million more than a 4th liner should. Calvert was likely brought in as a utility guy, and while I'm still not thrilled with the signing, I can see why they wanted him. If not for a couple key injuries I think the depth of this lineup would look a lot better than it currently is.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You guys know how I feel about Blake. Aint no secret how much I disliked him for much of his time here. I would take Blake at his contract over Calvert at his contract. I like Calvert so don't @ me.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One guy is 28. One guy is 33. That is a huge difference in the hockey world. When the time comes and both these respective deals expire I think the Avs will be exonerated a bit, but that's three years from now so whatever.

Looking at the highlights again on On the Fly, gotta say Patrik Nemeth had an absolutely horrid game. Got caught puck-watching on two of the Devils goals when he could've easily covered the open man. I wish either he or Barbs would step up a little and set himself up as the 6th d-man, but maybe that'll have to be someone else (like Meloche, and no, it ain't gonna be Timmins, not this year at least).

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
One guy is 28. One guy is 33. That is a huge difference in the hockey world. When the time comes and both these respective deals expire I think the Avs will be exonerated a bit, but that's three years from now so whatever.

Looking at the highlights again on On the Fly, gotta say Patrik Nemeth had an absolutely horrid game. Got caught puck-watching on two of the Devils goals when he could've easily covered the open man. I wish either he or Barbs would step up a little and set himself up as the 6th d-man, but maybe that'll have to be someone else (like Meloche, and no, it ain't gonna be Timmins, not this year at least).

I disagree about nemeth. He got hit in the face on the first goal by EJ’s stick, not his fault, he was in pain before he could cover his man. AAndrighetto needed to cover that guy.

On the 2nd goal, its the turn over that resulted in a mad disorganized scramble, thats on kerfoot for making an awful pass to bourque, and bourque for not even being able trip a guy properly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really do hope people aren't saying the Avs should've kept 33-year-old Comeau with a multi-year deal. I think that's silly talk. He was an interim guy who served his purpose. Dallas IMO will come to regret that deal in the coming seasons, sounds like they might already be.

Again, I really don't care if he's making, like, a million more than a 4th liner should. Calvert was likely brought in as a utility guy, and while I'm still not thrilled with the signing, I can see why they wanted him. If not for a couple key injuries I think the depth of this lineup would look a lot better than it currently is.

If I was choosing in a vacuum I'd rather have Comeau as I think his play is a full line level higher. I fully understand moving on from Comeau, but if you are going to spend that money elsewhere... get good value. I'd rather have spent $2m on Reider, $2.75m on Riley Nash, $1.9m on Schaller, etc. There were just better options out there for the price, or were cheaper and could add as much. People always speak of needing future cap space and how other players will need to be moved, the way to avoid moving those players is to avoid the $1m overpayments on Calvert and Cole... if they don't take less, don't sign them.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Years and years ago... Calvert is a guy that got a lot of 3rd line usage in Columbus and didn't produce at a 3rd line level. Comeau has put up over 30 points 3 out of the last 4 seasons. I know we want to defend our own, but Calvert at 2.85m is a bad contract. The saving grace is that he is a good 4th liner that can play up in a pinch.

If Comeau was the same age, i would agree more. But a GM has to make decisions on future production and not past. Calvert also clearly has skills that sakic liked, and while he doesnt have production, hes also never played with a C as good as Soderberg on his line.

The eye test, imo, calvert is more low risk than comeau, only 1 brain fart so far. This makes him more ideal on the 4th line. We shall see if he is as good when getting extended time with Soderberg

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Comeau was the same age, i would agree more. But a GM has to make decisions on future production and not past. Calvert also clearly has skills that sakic liked, and while he doesnt have production, hes also never played with a C as good as Soderberg on his line.

The eye test, imo, calvert is more low risk than comeau, only 1 brain fart so far. This makes him more ideal on the 4th line. We shall see if he is as good when getting extended time with Soderberg

See my post right above... to me this is less Calvert vs Comeau. This is Calvert in general vs what could have been had cheaper or at the same cost. No matter how you slice it, Calvert doesn't bring good value for 2.85m.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
See my post right above... to me this is less Calvert vs Comeau. This is Calvert in general vs what could have been had cheaper or at the same cost. No matter how you slice it, Calvert doesn't bring good value for 2.85m.

Ya, 2.85 is definitely not how much i want to spend for a 4th liner. I would personally save that extra mill and overpay a top 6 guy. But with how much Sakic believes in our prospects and how good calvert is in his role, i dont mind it. Not gonna really impact us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ya, 2.85 is definitely not how much i want to spend for a 4th liner. I would personally save that extra mill and overpay a top 6 guy. But with how much Sakic believes in our prospects and how good calvert is in his role, i dont mind it. Not gonna really impact us.

But now we will have 18 billion posts about how Rants and Barrie can't possibly fit on the same team because we are 2m short! (tongue kinda in cheek)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But now we will have 18 billion posts about how Rants and Barrie can't possibly fit on the same team because we are 2m short! (tongue kinda in cheek)

As I said in the Rantanen thread, I’d rather pay market value or even overpay for a talent like him than overpay Cole and Calvert.

Reactions: henchman21

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You know a GDT has gone on too long when people are debating whether signing a depth winger was a better decision than resigning another depth winger. But I'll jump in:

Re-signing Comeau to anything more than a 1 year deal would have been pure idiocy. And given he got a 3 (!) year deal from Dallas, there was no way he was staying here for only 1 year. 3 years for Comeau is going to end up a really, really bad deal. I liked him, sure, but the alternative to Calvert was never Comeau - it was probably nobody. Remember this was an offseason in which Antione Roussel and Jay Beagle for 3M x 4 each. Reliable depth guys were expensive this offseason. So yeah in an ideal world you sign Calvert for less, but if we had offered him less he would have just signed somewhere else. There's no universe in which Calvert is both on this team and making what you think he should be making.

I do think Calvert is miscast as Soderberg's winger - he's a great 4th liner but that's all I see right now. Now that Sven's back and playing well, I hope he and Calvert get switched.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad