GDT: GAME VII - Aves @ Deves: Balls to the Hall

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yep. Our biggest "albatross" contracts are Cole and Calvert, and even then it's a minor overpayment due to free agency. Sakic has hopefully learned his lesson from throwing around money carelessly unlike the majority of his GM counterparts.

We are in a position where we can overpay useful "role" players for the next 2-3 years. We are just barely scraping the cap floor anyway. As long as Cole and Calvert are useful I'm glad to have them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I want to see these cap room posts when people go on about not being able to afford Barrie. ;)

Reactions: Avs44

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Greer is still younger than compher before he became a NHLer, so i dont see how its not going according to plan.

That's because Compher was drafted two years earlier, and spent three years in college.

Greer is a 2nd rounder, spent one post draft year in junior, and is on his third year in the AHL. If things were going according to plan he'd have made the NHL some time last year, and been a full time NHLer this year.

He may still pan out, but I'm not sure it'll be for the Avs. I think he gets moved at the deadline.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yep. Our biggest "albatross" contracts are Cole and Calvert, and even then it's a minor overpayment due to free agency. Sakic has hopefully learned his lesson from throwing around money carelessly unlike the majority of his GM counterparts.

Well, I gotta say if those are his biggest albatrosses then Sakic is doing a hell of a job with cap management thus far. We'll see how he does when there are harder decisions to make down the road.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That's because Compher was drafted two years earlier, and spent three years in college.

Greer is a 2nd rounder, spent one post draft year in junior, and is on his third year in the AHL. If things were going according to plan he'd have made the NHL some time last year, and been a full time NHLer this year.

He may still pan out, but I'm not sure it'll be for the Avs. I think he gets moved at the deadline.

Theres nothing wrong with spending an extra year in the AHL versus in college. The point is, he is young enough to develop with our team.

I dont agree at all with your “plan” for him, when we have clear evidence of players making the nhl with a later timeline.

Reactions: New Scotlander

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Calvert getting 500k overpaid will have no influence on Barrie's situation. I can tell you this much.

I'd say a million at least overpaid, and I agree... you find a way to dump a contract if you need to fit Barrie in. I'm just saying that with the discussions that go on around here, it is made to seem that we can't possibly afford an extra million for Barrie!!!

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Theres nothing wrong with spending an extra year in the AHL versus in college. The point is, he is young enough to develop with our team.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. What I was saying is that Greer's path to the NHL is not going according to plan. He's behind schedule, and there's still doubt whether he will make it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I want to see these cap room posts when people go on about not being able to afford Barrie. ;)

Then you'd have to think more than a year or two in advance. Because that's when they will have likely added one or two expensive second liners, possibly added an expensive #1G, Landy will get a raise, Mikko will get a raise, Zadorov will get a raise, Girard will get a raise, Jost will get a raise, Kerfoot will get a raise, Makar will get a raise, Timmins will get a raise (if he gets past his concussion issues), Compher will get a raise, plus whatever unknown players are added to the team. Plus nearly doubling MacKinnon's salary in a couple years.

That's also when Calvert and Cole's deals expire rendering the context of this conversation completely moot. If the Avs build the kind of competitive team they're looking to have by then, they'll be spending to the Cap just like most every other competitive team. They're just not that team right now. That's why they have holes in the lineup.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I dont think there is a schedule.

No, but when your ELC expires and you haven't made the NHL yet, then the chances of you becoming an NHLer (especially forwards) go way down because most have made it by then.

Again, he can still make it later on in life, but the point is the Avs poor history of developing bottom 6'ers. Greer not being able to replace Comeau, forcing the Avs to go UFA is an example of that.

This isn't a make or break year for his career, but I think it probably is for the Avs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draisaitl

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No, but when your ELC expires and you haven't made the NHL yet, then the chances of you becoming an NHLer (especially forwards) go way down because most have made it by then.

Again, he can still make it later on in life, but the point is the Avs poor history of developing bottom 6'ers. Greer not being able to replace Comeau, forcing the Avs to go UFA is an example of that.

This isn't a make or break year for his career, but I think it probably is for the Avs.

He isnt waiver eligible until 2020-2021 season accoridng to capfriendly, so i dont see this as make or break year. Its not like we have to let him go.

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Calvert was amazing on the PK last night. He held the puck in the NJ end a few times. He hussels all game and I'm sure the points will come once we figure out who the hell is playing in our bottom 9

Reactions: Balthazar

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
He isnt waiver eligible until 2020-2021 season accoridng to capfriendly, so i dont see this as make or break year. Its not like we have to let him go.

No, they don't HAVE to let him go, but I do agree with others on this board that it sure feels like the organization has soured on him. I think come trade deadline time if they feel like making a deal of some sort he'll be something they'll throw in.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No, they don't HAVE to let him go, but I do agree with others on this board that it sure feels like the organization has soured on him. I think come trade deadline time if they feel like making a deal of some sort he'll be something they'll throw in.

Im not sure where that impression is coming from. Hes playing pp, pk, and plays with Kaut, big responsibilties in the AHL. Just because we dont want him to be a 4th liner in the NHL or sit in the PB, doesnt mean we have given up on him.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Im not sure where that impression is coming from. Hes playing pp, pk, and plays with Kaut, big responsibilties in the AHL. Just because we dont want him to be a 4th liner in the NHL or sit in the PB, doesnt mean we have given up on him.

Well, that's part of the argument. He's playing a top line role in the AHL, but are they really trying to develop him or are they using him like they would an AHL veteran scorer? If he projects as a 3rd line depth guy with defensive responsibilities, it would behoove Billington, Cronin, and the Eagles to groom him for that role. They're not, and guys like Haefele and others have said that's one big reason why the Avs developmental system is still screwed up. I mean, the Eagles don't have to force him to be a grinder but he ain't gonna be a top-line guy in the NHL if he makes it at all. Some players can make that adjustment, some can't. Brian Willsie was definitely one of those guys who couldn't.

So giving him all these minutes and a big role doesn't necessarily mean they're still very high on him, but I'll admit that a lot of my "theory" is mostly gut instinct. I hope you're right and they give him a legit shot at some point this season, but I'm not holding my breath.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well, that's part of the argument. He's playing a top line role in the AHL, but are they really trying to develop him or are they using him like they would an AHL veteran scorer? If he projects as a 3rd line depth guy with defensive responsibilities, it would behoove Billington, Cronin, and the Eagles to groom him for that role. They're not, and guys like Haefele and others have said that's one big reason why the Avs developmental system is still screwed up. I mean, the Eagles don't have to force him to be a grinder but he ain't gonna be a top-line guy in the NHL if he makes it at all. Some players can make that adjustment, some can't. Brian Willsie was definitely one of those guys who couldn't.

So giving him all these minutes and a big role doesn't necessarily mean they're still very high on him, but I'll admit that a lot of my "theory" is mostly gut instinct. I hope you're right and they give him a legit shot at some point this season, but I'm not holding my breath.

Playing with Kaut (already one of the best defensive guys) and playing him on the PK is grooming him for that role. I dont think we are using a 21 year old with less than 100 AHL games as an AHL vet like Alt/War, doesnt make sense to me. And the modern NHL needs scoring from every line anyways.

I think AJ is just getting playtime because u cant develop if you dont play. Its the only thing that would help with his transition. Last season was a total waste, he should have spent it all in the AHL.

I think as a fan base, we just have to be more patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->