GDT: Game #PS6: Coyotes vs Ducks - 7:00pm (AZ) - BSSC

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Let’s trade the two 2nds we got from the Chychrun deal for Lafreniere. I want Lafreniere and But for Chychrun . Haha.
I would like to see what he could do outside of that organization, but I wouldn't pay much for him. He's lazy and complacent. He showed up fat to his rookie camp. Not really an Armstrong guy. But what if AT can get through to him? Scores 40 goals. lol

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is he even worth trading for? His numbers are abysmal. Like, very very bad. What’s his issue there?
.42 pts./gm. Exactly the same as Hayton, but Hayton is playing on the first line. Both have not lived up to their draft selection. Most love Hayton on these boards, and many are not happy with Lafreniere in NY.

I would like to see what he could do outside of that organization, but I wouldn't pay much for him. He's lazy and complacent. He showed up fat to his rookie camp. Not really an Armstrong guy. But what if AT can get through to him? Scores 40 goals. lol
Where did you hear he turned up fat at his rookie camp?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let’s trade the two 2nds we got from the Chychrun deal for Lafreniere. I want Lafreniere and But for Chychrun . Haha.
I don't think NY would accept that. Would you accept that for Hayton?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think NY would accept that. Would you accept that for Hayton?
Is there a palpable groundswell of frustration and disappointment in Hayton that’s gaining a ton of negative attention? Is there pressure trashing a breaking point with Hayton? I’d certainly trade Soderstrom for that package. He’s also a disappointing early pick. I don’t see any handwringing about Hayton like I do Lafreniere.

They’re crawling all over Lafreniere in NYC. They’ve turned on him. Drury is hopefully smarter than to let that matter. But he certainly hasn’t proved he’s a good GM. He might be great. But we don’t know.

Chychrun went for a 1st and two 2nds. I think two 2nds and a 3rd is good value for Lafreniere. I can’t imagine any team trading a 1st for him right now. Can you?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
EDIT: sorry I didn’t realize you quoted the 2x 2nds one. I also suggested NYR’s own ‘25 2nd, and the NYR ‘26 2nd along with our ‘24 3rd (and Boyd 50-% off)

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Where did you hear he turned up fat at his rookie camp?
I don't remember, he just did and there was plenty of talk regarding this, including his own like this one from a Larry Brooks column in the NY Post in 2021 after his rookie season-

“I got a little faster. I would say that was the main thing. I lost a little bit of weight, and that helps, too,” Lafreniere said Thursday, after the Rangers’ first training camp session. “I skated a couple of times a week. I [worked out] in the gym, too. That’s where you get a lot stronger."

"Lafreniere’s numbers, 12 goals and nine assists in 56 games for the Rangers following his No. 1-overall selection in the October draft, were underwhelming even if his play outdistanced his stats. He won his fair share of battles, but did not have the explosiveness to separate after gaining the puck. He did not have breakaway speed in the middle. He was heavy for the NHL."

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Time out to discuss our needs. It seems to me that short of a generational player, we only lack defense and a great goalie in order to start our run.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is there a palpable groundswell of frustration and disappointment in Hayton that’s gaining a ton of negative attention? Is there pressure trashing a breaking point with Hayton? I’d certainly trade Soderstrom for that package. He’s also a disappointing early pick. I don’t see any handwringing about Hayton like I do Lafreniere.

They’re crawling all over Lafreniere in NYC. They’ve turned on him. Drury is hopefully smarter than to let that matter. But he certainly hasn’t proved he’s a good GM. He might be great. But we don’t know.

Chychrun went for a 1st and two 2nds. I think two 2nds and a 3rd is good value for Lafreniere. I can’t imagine any team trading a 1st for him right now. Can you?
Hayton is playing with much better team mates than Lafreniere. You put Hayton on the third line here we might change our minds. A 1st. for Lafreniere at this time no. I think the bar is set much higher with the Rangers than it is with the Coyote's. One thing for sure, both have not played up to expectations.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hayton is playing with much better team mates than Lafreniere. You put Hayton on the third line here we might change our minds. A 1st. for Lafreniere at this time no. I think the bar is set much higher with the Rangers than it is with the Coyote's. One thing for sure, both have not played up to expectations.
Hayton plays an all around smart game. He PK's. Takes key faceoffs. Stands in front of the net. Basically lets Keller do his thing. He lacks offense. That was the book on him when drafted, too. Probably a good #2 C, at worst a responsible 3C.

Lafrenniere has shown almost none of those qualities.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I still don't understand the Hayton hate. We all knew it was a lesser draft, we just didn't know how much. I had him 9th and figured his potential was around a 2c, but had 1c upside, 3c downside. I also saw him as a complementary player, not the driver. At the time I remember @hbk saying he was a project and would take time to hit his potential. He then got rushed a bit and has shown to basically be a 2c, though a bit on the lower end due to point production. He's 23 and I could make a list of 23 year olds who didn't fully develop by 22 or 21, but still hit their potential. Hell, let's not forget the list of players who've come in and produced, but couldn't defend a beach ball until 23. Hayton's a good player, we reached for him but he's a solid NHL center. It's not his fault JC took him 5th overall, and everyone thinks he should have 80 points a season now. No one thought he'd be that when he was drafted, why the heck should we now?

I like him, I hope he likes us and retires a Coyote because he seems like a great person, and helps our team win hockey games.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Hayton plays an all around smart game. He PK's. Takes key faceoffs. Stands in front of the net. Basically lets Keller do his thing. He lacks offense. That was the book on him when drafted, too. Probably a good #2 C, at worst a responsible 3C.

Lafrenniere has shown almost none of those qualities.
We have a decent #2 line with Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz, we just need to get a #1 line, and we all hope Cooley will (eventually) center it. That's why I would like to sign Nylander next summer, to play RW with Cooley.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We have a decent #2 line with Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz, we just need to get a #1 line, and we all hope Cooley will (eventually) center it. That's why I would like to sign Nylander next summer, to play RW with Cooley.
Keller is a top 10 winger in the NHL. He plays on a #1 line on every team in the league.

Yes, Hayton is playing too high and maybe by year end Cooley is the #1 C this team has lacked since Roenick.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Don't care what line #s fans assign, but I'm envisioning Cooley centering a different line than the one Keller is on (in the future) and that line will have the toughest match ups. GMBA has stated he wants the Coyotes to be relentless on the attack and having Maccelli as the play driver on a different 3rd line also accomplishes that.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Don't care what line #s fans assign, but I'm envisioning Cooley centering a different line than the one Keller is on (in the future) and that line will have the toughest match ups. GMBA has stated he wants the Coyotes to be relentless on the attack and having Maccelli as the play driver on a different 3rd line also accomplishes that.
Wait...... We can have more than 1 scoring line? I don't think that's allowed.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad