TV: Game of Thrones | Series Finale - II

Did you like the finale?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Rather at this point I'd say these types of articles are nothing more than click bait. There's been a ton of actors on the show, most of them not making it to the end, and especially for those that left like everyone else they're going to have their own opinion on the end which could be good or bad. Nothing wrong with Dance's opinion, but collecting the quotes and propping them up into an article isn't really news, it's like I said click bait.

I thought so at first, like Conleth Hill "throwing shade". In the end I actually watched the video. Dance is definitely throwing shade there. Click bait normally implies some form of misrepresentation of the info behind the link or title. In this case it seems that article title is spot on. It's unexpected, the actors and directors normally heap praise or say nothing. It's a small world and they all depend on each other, so negative critiques are rare.

It's a small tidbit to be sure, but interesting to see.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You keep pushing this agenda and it's been repeatedly made clear to you that it's a load of ****. The show ended early because Benioff and Weiss wanted to get through with it. They are the ones that have multiple big projects lined up. HBO begged them to take it further.

The notion that any of the actors wanted to be done with the show is farcical. It's probably the most lucrative roles any of them will get in their lives.

I don't think its farcical at all. It might be the most lucrative, although I doubt it for many of them, but I don't think any actor wants to have their careers dominated like this. Sure they've fit some things in but you can't rise as a star without moving on. Be very easy for some of the actors on the show notice Richard Madden being floated as a possible Bond and being envious.

Which isn't to say they forced things but I'm guessing everyone was ready to move on and I don't blame em one bit.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I thought so at first, like Conleth Hill "throwing shade". In the end I actually watched the video. Dance is definitely throwing shade there. Click bait normally implies some form of misrepresentation of the info behind the link or title. In this case it seems that article title is spot on. It's unexpected, the actors and directors normally heap praise or say nothing. It's a small world and they all depend on each other, so negative critiques are rare.

It's a small tidbit to be sure, but interesting to see.

On one hand I can't really blame them, but what I mean is normally it wouldn't be news what one actor who left the show x years ago thinks of the ending but they're making it news specifically to tap into the bi-polar fan frenzy outrage machine.

I just realized now I'm misusing terms, "clickbait" usually refers to a misleading headline to draw people in. Rather than the headline I'm talking about 'clickbait' in the broader sense of things.

Reactions: theVladiator

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think its farcical at all. It might be the most lucrative, although I doubt it for many of them, but I don't think any actor wants to have their careers dominated like this. Sure they've fit some things in but you can't rise as a star without moving on. Be very easy for some of the actors on the show notice Richard Madden being floated as a possible Bond and being envious.

Which isn't to say they forced things but I'm guessing everyone was ready to move on and I don't blame em one bit.

There is a world of difference between being ready to move on when you've reached the end, and intentionally getting the show to end early because you want it to be over with as soon as possible. That's what the poster I quoted keeps implying and is what I'm referring to as farcical.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The real question is, when will the phrase "throwing shade" die a cruel death. "Charles Dance throwing shade" is one of the most absurdly funny things I've seen in a while.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The real question is, when will the phrase "throwing shade" die a cruel death. "Charles Dance throwing shade" is one of the most absurdly funny things I've seen in a while.

I don't object so much to the use of certain phrases and terms as to the misuse of them. I don't have much of a problem with the use of "throwing shade" if it's actually used to describe a disrespectful jab. I disagree with it being used to describe any criticism or less than positive reaction, like Dance's, though. Similarly, I don't like when honest disappointment like Hill's is characterized as "whining" and "trashing." Many words have "degrees" and people like to over-use the ones with the more extreme degrees in order to make better headlines, generate outrage and sculpt narratives. It's hard to offer an honest criticism these days without someone portraying it in a worse light than you intended because it's convenient to whatever agenda they have. It's no wonder that actors generally aren't as honest as Dance and Hill have been, since not much good tends to come of it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't object so much to the use of certain phrases and terms as to the misuse of them. I don't have much of a problem with the use of "throwing shade" if it's actually used to describe a disrespectful jab. I disagree with it being used to describe any criticism, especially honest criticism, like Dance's, though. Similarly, I don't like when honest disappointment like Hill's is characterized as "whining" and "trashing." Many words have "degrees," but people tend to like to over-use the ones with the more extreme degrees in order to make better headlines, generate outrage and sculpt narratives. It's hard to offer an honest criticism these days without someone portraying it in a worse light than you intended because it's convenient to whatever agenda they have. It's no wonder that actors generally aren't as honest as Dance and Hill have been, since not much good tends to come of it.
I was just ranting. I f***ing hate the phrase.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nah these actor hate the show articles are all clickbait because they are cherry picking what they actually mean.

Hill is clearly upset because he wanted more for his particular character. Dance seemed to have expected a darker ending, as opposed to the mostly trimpument Stark ending.

These opinions are on their own are valid, but these garbage articles purposefully paint it in the lens that the actors “hated the final season!”

It goes hand in hand with reddit claiming to understand body language from the documentary showing the actors also hate the season and secretly hate the writers but can’t outright say it because hBo has a gun to their head.

It’s silly. If you didn’t like it you didn’t like it. That’s your very valid opinion. This need for validation from actors because you need to prove to folks that did like it they are wrong is dumb.

Reactions: tacogeoff and Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Lol I don't know if ever heard that. Throwing shade screams of a phrase that originated in hip hop but sounds really off when used by...anybody else. I blame buzzfeed and teenagers.
It's often on the mainboard. Along with ainec, lol, which seem to make the argument stronger for some.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dance seemed to have expected a darker ending, as opposed to the mostly trimpument Stark ending.

This just proves that Dance was perfectly cast. Even in real life, he's on Team Lannister. He was probably rooting for Cersei or Jaime to end up on the throne and is disappointed that the only Lannister to survive and carry on the family name was the one who killed his character with his pants down.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpoolCat

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Actors shouldn't even be held up as the most valid opinions on the subject in the first place. Even if I agree with them on some things with regards to the season that doesn't magically make my opinions more valid.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This just proves that Dance was perfectly cast. Even in real life, he's on Team Lannister. He was probably rooting for Cersei or Jaime to end up on the throne and isn't thrilled that the "other" child, the disappointment who killed him with his pants down, was "sipping tea" at the end.

Lannister until he dies. I like it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m sure he was disappointed that the acting and intrigue of earlier seasons was shelved in order to tie up loose ends and have blurry CGI battles.

I think it’s fair criticism.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This just proves that Dance was perfectly cast. Even in real life, he's on Team Lannister. He was probably rooting for Cersei or Jaime to end up on the throne and isn't thrilled that the "other" child, the disappointment who killed him with his pants down, was "sipping tea" at the end.

Speaking of Charles Dance when is he going to sign on to The Witcher already, his role as Emperor Emhyr var Emreis who he voiced in the game still hasn't been cast.

Reactions: tacogeoff

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
This just proves that Dance was perfectly cast. Even in real life, he's on Team Lannister. He was probably rooting for Cersei or Jaime to end up on the throne and is disappointed that the only Lannister to survive and carry on the family name was the one who killed his character with his pants down.
Tywin was always on Team Tywin. It was his name, not his family's, that was important to him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
B89F30BF-5174-49EE-9BE8-62594F4A3693.jpeg

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Which is why he didn’t get what he always wanted, but Ned did.

Ned’s values ultimately helped get his surviving kids to their ultimate points of success. One wolf dies, but the pack survives.

I think they meant the family sigel with that line rather than directly Ned. Robb died too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think they meant the family sigel with that line rather than directly Ned. Robb died too.

It was something Ned said to Sansa. I think it means exactly what I alluded too. One family member may die, but the family survives because it sticks together.

Though funny enough these are indeed the last of the Starks. Arya has no plans to wed. Jon isn’t a Stark, Bran can’t have kids. It’s on Sansa and she might just go full Queen Liz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad