TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XI -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I didn’t realize this post was happening.

The night king knew if he died they all died and his white walkers die they subjects die. If him would you have them go into battle first or when you think the battle is won?

I always hate movies and now shows where you kill the leader and all minions die. It’s an easy out but unfortunately unless you plan on having a giant strategic battle with zombies and retreats and military moves and all that for many episodes there’s no way to change that.

I hated the dark aspect of the episode but honestly I was finding myself straining my eyes trying to figure out what was going on and I assume in a situation like that it would feel that way too.

80 min battle scene for tv! And people complain lol. This episode was built up and hyped up and to me it delivered. Now I just hope the final lives up to the hype.

Reactions: tacogeoff

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
They could have just really done something wild this episode and it was too obvious what was gunna happen. Imagine if the NK kneels in front of Bran and then the episode is over, or he says “Hello father” and the episode cuts out. But anyways if you don’t think about it too much it was an entertaining episode no question about it. I was just worried they would kill the most hyped villain over the last 9 years in one battle and it happened so sorry if I sound like a downer. All the NK has ever done is throw Spears and walk around.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I do feel it would still be better received. The White Walkers imo were a big draw for the show. They were the first threat we see, and its been slowly building up for 8 seasons. The tension is also going to be much higher late in the season.

What tension are we going to have with Cersei? Blow up Kings Landing and Dany/Jon's forces with wildfire? We have seen it already and we expect it. Kill a dragon with the Scorpion?

I honestly dont care who sits on the Iron Throne.

I really hope there is one last twist in these final three episodes.

You dont care who sits on the throne? Then why even watch a show called game of thrones? The entire show is based on the iron throne. I get the white walkers are cool as hell and how they teased them was incredible. But still the show has is and will always be about the iron throne.

I don’t see how cersi is boring either. She had 3 incest children one of them was the most hated villain on the show. She killed 2 hand of the king. the king himself. The queen. The high priest by blowing up the septur. She helped organize the red wedding. The way she killed the queen from drone is insanely evil not to mention that crazy nun she had the mountain torment still? Boring? She’s the biggest villain on this show!

The white walkers got their time an 80 min battle scene? I don’t even think there was that much action in world war z!

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They could have just really done something wild this episode and it was too obvious what was gunna happen. Imagine if the NK kneels in front of Bran and then the episode is over, or he says “Hello father” and the episode cuts out. But anyways if you don’t think about it too much it was an entertaining episode no question about it. I was just worried they would kill the most hyped villain over the last 9 years in one battle and it happened so sorry if I sound like a downer. All the NK has ever done is throw Spears and walk around.

There’s a reason why he’s only had what 45 mins of screen time in 8 years. It’s because the show isn’t about him. He was just an enemy there to force the show to where it’s going to end up in kings landing where the entire 8 years has been about

Otherwise they would’ve had kingslanding placed where winterfell is so the night king would have to attack that city first.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
DId she? I thought that was all Tywin.
I agree he was probably behind it and planned it but I don’t think she would’ve been a voice of reason to stop them from attacking at a wedding. Even Jamie probably would’ve second guessed it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The show and books for that matter always stuck by them being an existential threat and there not being much more behind it. Honestly even more so in the books as there is no single leader to theorize around. They are much more a force and more deeply wrapped in myths that are most likely not true. They simply are.

People wanted more to them then that, but I think in the end that was never the purpose of the Others, and in the end the human characters were always the real focus.

Reactions: Blender

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think i have now figured out - what bugged me about Arya doing the death blow to the Night King. (and maybe this is tying in all the books/theory videos and stuff, - i haven't read it but some videos mention it).

Rhaegjar was convinced that there was this big threat thing. that's why he changed his destiny (to be a fighter) - though he hated it,part of the reason why he went with Lyanna...sooo. now all of that is basically? Rhaegjar just wanted to be with Lyanna and none of them could have been all "hey sorry we love each other now, peace out homies?" there was no underlying greater purpose for Jon?

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
There’s a reason why he’s only had what 45 mins of screen time in 8 years. It’s because the show isn’t about him. He was just an enemy there to force the show to where it’s going to end up in kings landing where the entire 8 years has been about

Otherwise they would’ve had kingslanding placed where winterfell is so the night king would have to attack that city first.
What you’re saying is true to a point, but you can’t say the show “isn’t” about him. In the grand scheme of things he probably isn’t but a large majority of the show was about the white walkers and when winter was going to arrive. The very first episode of this entire show was called “Winter is coming”

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think i have now figured out - what bugged me about Arya doing the death blow to the Night King. (and maybe this is tying in all the books/theory videos and stuff, - i haven't read it but some videos mention it).

Rhaegjar was convinced that there was this big threat thing. that's why he changed his destiny (to be a fighter) - though he hated it,part of the reason why he went with Lyanna...sooo. now all of that is basically? Rhaegjar just wanted to be with Lyanna and none of them could have been all "hey sorry we love each other now, peace out homies?" there was no underlying greater purpose for Jon?

Rhaegar like everyone else took prophecy too literally. Jon did have a role to play as they never get that chance without him bringing everyone together and preparing them for this fight.

They also don’t have that chance if Dany isn’t there and her dragons don’t exist. In ways they both were and weren’t the Price who was promised. Which I believe is the point. Prophecies are wishy washy in this setting.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
There are two things that pretty much spell your doom in Westeros; those things are arrogance and a good heart, arrogance being the most deadly. The Night King was way too damn arrogant and cocky. He wasn't just a force of nature, he was a being and the smugness on his face when he starred at Dany after her dragon engulfed him in flames pretty much sealed his doom. Arrogant men, especially in battle, have feel countless times in GoT. He underestimated his enemy big time and that's the worst thing you can do in a war.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
What you’re saying is true to a point, but you can’t say the show “isn’t” about him. In the grand scheme of things he probably isn’t but a large majority of the show was about the white walkers and when winter was going to arrive. The very first episode of this entire show was called “Winter is coming”
Winter coming doesn’t mean white walkers though.

I just don’t see how big a character can be to a show when 95% of the shows cast didn’t even believe about him or saw him until season 7 and the last episode at that.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
And whose idea was it to hoard civilians inside the crypt? They are battling the dead, lead by a being who raises the dead; a crypt is a far cry from safe.

Reactions: Saskatoon

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Part of me wishes he passed winterfell and marched on kings landing. The face of cersi and the people would’ve been great seeing them become zombies.

Reactions: tacogeoff

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Winter coming doesn’t mean white walkers though.

I just don’t see how big a character can be to a show when 95% of the shows cast didn’t even believe about him or saw him until season 7 and the last episode at that.
Ok well I don’t know how to respond to this, I don’t see how it’s even debatable the NK wasn’t the biggest threat. The show is about the Iron throne sure but even watching all the stuff up through the seasons until last night we were all waiting for the NK to eventually come in and frick some things up.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Rhaegar like everyone else took prophecy too literally. Jon did have a role to play as they never get that chance without him bringing everyone together and preparing them for this fight.

They also don’t have that chance if Dany isn’t there and her dragons don’t exist. In ways they both were and weren’t the Price who was promised. Which I believe is the point. Prophecies are wishy washy in this setting.

true. very true. okay i can dig it. i can live with how it ended now then

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm hoping you mods discuss this at a point.

Regarding the individual episodes-thread, they should be open IMHO, but with an amended title once the next episodes comes. Something in the style of "-no spoilers for later episodes."

Threads are allowed to go over the limit for live events like GDTs, but for regular day to day the posts limits are in effect and remain so.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Jon did have a bigger purpose, this victory never happens without him. "He's the commander we turned to when the night was darkest" is as true as when Sam originally said it. Jon lead them through the Long Night and lead them to victory. Who cares that he didn't strike the death blow to the Night King? Everyone is at Winterfell to fight the great war because of Jon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I also agree that Jon is going to become completely disillusioned that everyone immediately turns around to fight over a metal chair.

And increasingly torn on whether becoming king to just end all the war and bring peace is the proper thing to do, or if just retiring is.

It’s going to be a different take on the hero’s homecoming. How everything is different and due to their growth (or lack of growth in this case) changes how they dealt with the smaller problems from the beginning of the story. Like how Frodo was unable to readjust to the simple life in the Shire anymore, or Sam was brave enough to marry the girl he liked.

This will play out over a longer stretch though, and some people will definitely not like it. I do think it is fitting IF (big if) it is done right.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad