TV: Game of Thrones | Season 7 | Part VIII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Right. Why does story matter?

Why not just drop robocop and jesus with lazer eyes in there to defeat the White Walkers? It's entertaining! Where's your suspension of disbelief?

Bruh... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Oh man. I can't stop laughing or thinking about Robocop telling the WW "Dead or alive you're coming with me!" and all the meme's that would come of that. :laugh:

UndED-209
omg!

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The "payoff" for me is a well-told, cohesive story, that doesn't leave me thinking "well that doesn't make sense". The "payoff" is not CGI fire killing CGI zombies.

Then I suspect that you will not enjoy the rest of the series.

These things don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can have a battle with strong writing that all makes sense and not have things constantly saving you in the nick of time.

And I'm no writer, but it seems like most of these complaints are fairly obvious and could have been fixed fairly easily.
If you are gonna do the whole ice thing, use some dialogue and have The Hound shout out, "We've been waiting here for 5 days! She's never coming!" as he's throwing rocks.
Highlight some ships with giant chains washed ashore (again, I don't find it hard to believe that they got chains, but it would have been easy to fix).
Just indicate that a battle is coming, and have it start with the dragons attacking first, rather than doing the kung-fu movie 1 vs 100 for way too long and having her arrive at precisely the perfect time

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Still cannot believe how terrible this was.

Deus ex machina X2 in the same 70 minutes episode, Dany and then Benjen.

Run you're the fastest! GIVE ME THE HAMMER YOULL BE FASTER WITHOUT IT!

Metal chains that appear out of nowhere.

Night king can freeze everything but he can't freeze a small pond three feet wide!

The Dany/Jon dialogue... So cringe worthy..

Jon has a heroic moment ?!?!?!? So stupid.

Jorah almost falls !

Jesus **** this was bad, I want my game of thrones back. When it was not all about the stupid action.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You are right. Dany should just of issued sanctions against the Night King and entered into political negotiations over who controls Winter.

Or maybe they could've not made this episode happen ? Maybe they could've made it a seek and destroy stealth mission ? Countless opportunities, yet they choose to go the Michael Bay way.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Still cannot believe how terrible this was.

Run you're the fastest! GIVE ME THE HAMMER YOULL BE FASTER WITHOUT IT!

Metal chains that appear out of nowhere.

Night king can freeze everything but he can't freeze a small pond three feet wide!

The Dany/Jon dialogue... So cringe worthy..

Jon has a heroic moment ?!?!?!? So stupid.

Jorah almost falls !

Jesus **** this was bad, I want my game of thrones back. When it was not all about the stupid action.

Heaven forbid that you still enjoy the show overall, and yet do not like the Hollywood turn it has taken this season. Such nuanced complaints are not received well around these parts.

Just shut-up, grab the chain, and start pulling the dragon out of the lake.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Heaven forbid that you still enjoy the show overall, and yet do not like the Hollywood turn it has taken this season. Such nuanced complaints are not received well around these parts.

Just shut-up, grab the chain, and start pulling the dragon out of the lake.

They showed the platform the chain came on.

Instead of just *****ing why don't these people watch it first to make sure their *****ing is even relevant. Heck, they could just read the previous thread and they would have learned that.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

do-not-think-it-means1.jpeg

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Man these threads were fun once upon a time. Now it's just the same old complaints every single episode

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oh and I can't believe how many people misread the Gendry thing. He's not actually the fastest (well he might be but it doesn't matter), Jon used a classic motivation move on him so he'd just accept going easier. Gendry went by default because he's the worst fighter and least useful person in the group.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh and I can't believe how many people misread the Gendry thing. He's not actually the fastest (well he might be but it doesn't matter), Jon used a classic motivation move on him so he'd just accept going easier. Gendry went by default because he's the worst fighter and least useful person in the group.

I thought t was because he as the youngest and in the best shape. A lot of old men in that group.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Man these threads were fun once upon a time. Now it's just the same old complaints every single episode

We could of spent the week posting funny memes of the Night King with Blue Eye White dragon cards, and more scuba wights, but we instead get a lot of whinging.

Also a lot of incorrect usage of trope names, and tons of false equivalency and straw man arguments.

Not enough incest jokes

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thought t was because he as the youngest and in the best shape. A lot of old men in that group.

That as well. Whether he was fastest or not doesn't actually matter, Jon was just praising him as a common leadership tactic because he was the pick by default.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Deus Ex Machina: a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the inspired and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object.

So what makes it NOT an example of Deus Ex Machina? Because Jon's uncle isn't technically "new"?

Ok, so it's just lame, cheap, and cliche that a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the unexpected intervention of some event, character, ability or object that is new to the current setting

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Deus Ex Machina: a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the inspired and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object.

So what makes it NOT an example of Deus Ex Machina? Because Jon's uncle isn't technically "new"?

Ok, so it's just lame, cheap, and cliche that a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the unexpected intervention of some event, character, ability or object that is new to the current setting

1. It's not seemingly unsolvable. There were options for a possible rescue that could have happened for him including a dragon as we just saw. Benjen also previously rescued Bran and Meera in a similar situation. Although unlikely due to falling in the water, he was close enough to run/walk out of there as well.

2. Benjen is not a new character that is new to the current setting. We know he's in the north and he was previously being guided by the three eyed raven, who is now Bran.

Him showing up like that is a plot convenience and I didn't like it, but it's not deus ex machina.

Anyone calling Daenerys deus ex machina has absolutely no idea what that phrase means.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
1. It's not seemingly unsolvable. There were options for a possible rescue that could have happened for him including a dragon as we just saw. Benjen also previously rescued Bran and Meera in a similar situation. Although unlikely due to falling in the water, he was close enough to run/walk out of there as well.

2. Benjen is not a new character that is new to the current setting. We know he's in the north and he was previously being guided by the three eyed raven, who is now Bran.

Him showing up like that is a plot convenience and I didn't like it, but it's not deus ex machina.

Anyone calling Daenerys deus ex machina has absolutely no idea what that phrase means.

This. Benjen shows up to save Jon because Bran told him to, just like the previous 3ER sent Benjen to save Bran when he escaped with Meera. It makes perfect sense, this is a correct use of a plot device.

People will critcize anything without thinking first.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
They showed the platform the chain came on.

Instead of just *****ing why don't these people watch it first to make sure their *****ing is even relevant. Heck, they could just read the previous thread and they would have learned that.

The shut-up and pull the chain was a metaphor... but I digress.

I've moved beyond the minor stuff like where did they find the chains and the physics of jet-propelled ravens. It's disappointing that they've lost the patience/ability to set-up big scenes. As many have said, it's not their strength and this is where the absence of source material has impacted them the most. Moreover, I suspect they are playing to the shifted demographics of the people watching the show in season 7 vs. earlier seasons.

I realize I'm biased as I have always loved the depth to the story.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Super Jorah looks like a new man healed from his Greyscale. Thoros would have gotten lost. Beric has one eye, The Hound would have stopped and roasted Ptarmigan. Gendry was the only choice.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The shut-up and pull the chain was a metaphor... but I digress.

I've moved beyond the minor stuff like where did they find the chains and the physics of jet-propelled ravens. It's disappointing that they've lost the patience/ability to set-up big scenes. As many have said, it's not their strength and this is where the absence of source imaterial has impacted them the most. Moreover, I suspect they are playing to the shifted demographics of the people watching the show in season 7 vs. earlier seasons.

I realize I'm biased as I have always loved the depth to the story.

The story has to end at some point. The depth is still there. Its just not the fan fiction that the hardcores want.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This thread seasons 1-4: A bunch of book readers posting spoilers disguised as 'speculation'
This thread seasons 5-7: A bunch of book readers whining about all the different ways D&D are ruining their precious source material

In hindsight this discussion was never good.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This. Benjen shows up to save Jon because Bran told him to, just like the previous 3ER sent Benjen to save Bran when he escaped with Meera. It makes perfect sense, this is a correct use of a plot device.

People will critcize anything without thinking first.

I think it's a valid criticism to say that the show has relied upon too many last minute saves as of late, and Benjen represented the second one deployed for Jon in a single episode. I would have had no problem if he just pulled Jon from the ice and aided his escape using stealth and/or the post-battle chaos. The last minute save, especially without any set-up as to why it happened that way, has become repetitive and has lost its impact.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I had a lot of problems with that episode but Benjen wasnt one of them.

It makes a lot of sense that Benjen would be following and observing the NK and his army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad