TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part XII | (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Do we know anything about the White Walker's motivations? Do we even know anything about their goals? I hate that the show's big bad guys are apparently evil for evil's sake. I hope we get some insight into why they've decided to re-emerge thousands of years after being defeated.

Well the show has shown us that the Children of the Forest created them as a last resort weapon to destroy humanity. Don't remember specifically what lore the show has given beyond that, though the season 1 or season 2 DVD sets had some extra features with Bran narrating the history, but it's pretty obvious that humanity won that initially war thousands of years ago, then built 'The Wall' and established the order of the Nights Watch to guard against them.

So you can extrapolate from this that the white walkers were defeated, but never fully destroyed. Now for whatever reason they have recently re-emerged from whatever prison held them, and are looking to break the wall and get back to business.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Do we know anything about the White Walker's motivations? Do we even know anything about their goals? I hate that the show's big bad guys are apparently evil for evil's sake. I hope we get some insight into why they've decided to re-emerge thousands of years after being defeated.

They are pretty much evil for evil's sake unfortunately just zombies

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

They are the enemies of life. They are the winter, that is coming.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They are pretty much evil for evil's sake unfortunately just zombies

I wouldn't call the Night's King and his lieutenants (the ones on horses at Hardhome, the one that Jon Snow killed) "just zombies". They clearly are intelligent beings with a purpose. Maybe something like the Nazgul in LOTR... humans transformed by "magic" into... whatever.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
The mods have long taken a zero tolerance stance on this, as over the years before the show caught up it could be a pain in the ass deciding what's innocent and what's not, and letting one thing go usually encourages more discussion.

Whether that level of filtering is still relevant today is certainly questionable, but it is what it is.

The timeline of the story might be more advanced in the show than in the books by now. But there's still background information in the books that is unknown to the show-only viewers, that will/could be important for the future story. If there are hints in the books at future developments that you can't know from watching the show, then I wouldn't want to know them. This is different from "but the show is more advanced by now anyway."

Also, as I'm watching more GOT episodes again recently:
  • Really cool what you pick up in earlier episodes when you know how it will all develop later on. There are so many hints... if you'd only know they were hints!
  • After watching the finale of season 6 again, I still don't know how I should feel about the fact that the grande finale of this show will, in any form, be "dragons vs. zombies". It could be good. It could be bad. In any case, right now, it takes away a bit of the greatness of this show for me. So many great dialogues, battles, developments that didn't need supernatural powers or fantasy animals. Game of Thrones was always at it's best when it showed pure human politics and warfare. When you watch the show you notice that it gets more and more fantasy-heavy as it goes on.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The timeline of the story might be more advanced in the show than in the books by now. But there's still background information in the books that is unknown to the show-only viewers, that will/could be important for the future story. If there are hints in the books at future developments that you can't know from watching the show, then I wouldn't want to know them. This is different from "but the show is more advanced by now anyway."

Also, as I'm watching more GOT episodes again recently:
  • Really cool what you pick up in earlier episodes when you know how it will all develop later on. There are so many hints... if you'd only know they were hints!

• Yeah with the more detailed knowledge I think I could put up at least one more big spoiler to come.

For buried hints in earlier episodes my favourite's always been in the Winterfell parting scene in I think episode 2, when Ned tell's Jon "next time we meet we'll talk about your mother". Had things not gone all FUBAR and they were actually able to meet again, Jon would have been a sworn brother of the Nights Watch and free from the politics of Westeros - just like Maester Aemon. So what Ned is literally saying there is 'I'll finally be able to tell you everything'.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I wouldn't call the Night's King and his lieutenants (the ones on horses at Hardhome, the one that Jon Snow killed) "just zombies". They clearly are intelligent beings with a purpose. Maybe something like the Nazgul in LOTR... humans transformed by "magic" into... whatever.

Suped up zombies... Alot of stories have zombies with some intelligence but at the end of the day it is what they kind of boil down to.

Anyways did those spoilers posted on reddit a few months ago turn out to be debunked?

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Just starting the re-watch from season 1... ever since we had a baby TV shows take way longer to watch so we figured we would start now

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just starting the re-watch from season 1... ever since we had a baby TV shows take way longer to watch so we figured we would start now

I was in Vienna for work in February for a month, so I decided to watch the entire show (60 episodes. 2 a day haha. (I had to watch the final 4 on March 1st, on my flight back home)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Well the children of the forest made the White Walkers to fight the first men, because they were destroying their land and killing them. So their whole purpose is to kill men, its their basic blue print. They do show intelligence tho and aren't just brain dead killing machines, like the Wights are

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah with the more detailed knowledge I think I could put up at least one more big spoiler to come.

For buried hints in earlier episodes my favourite's always been in the Winterfell parting scene in I think episode 2, when Ned tell's Jon "next time we meet we'll talk about your mother". Had things not gone all FUBAR and they were actually able to meet again, Jon would have been a sworn brother of the Nights Watch and free from the politics of Westeros - just like Maester Aemon. So what Ned is literally saying there is 'I'll finally be able to tell you everything'.

On my last re-watch I found it interesting that he doesn't call him son at all during that exchange, that I can remember. He says 'you may not have my name, but you have my blood.' and 'you are a Stark.'

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
On my last re-watch I found it interesting that he doesn't call him son at all during that exchange, that I can remember. He says 'you may not have my name, but you have my blood.' and 'you are a Stark.'

Season 1 might be my favourite because of all the very, very subtle hints you only notice when re-watching. When Robert is telling Ned to write down him being appointed as protector of the realm until his son Joffrey comes of age, Ned writes down instead "Until the rightful heir comes of age". That's just 1 example of how subtle they hint at what is coming

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Season 1 might be my favourite because of all the very, very subtle hints you only notice when re-watching. When Robert is telling Ned to write down him being appointed as protector of the realm until his son Joffrey comes of age, Ned writes down instead "Until the rightful heir comes of age". That's just 1 example of how subtle they hint at what is coming

Was that a subtle hint? They show it clearly and Ned had already found out that Joffrey wasnt the rightful heir. I think it was just supposed to make you think things were gonna work out and all will be right in Westeros

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Was that a subtle hint? They show it clearly and Ned had already found out that Joffrey wasnt the rightful heir. I think it was just supposed to make you think things were gonna work out and all will be right in Westeros

It was a way for Ned to write down what Robert said without challenging his authority/manhood, but with an out for if/when the truth was revealed.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I don't think is subtle at all, but it was a huge mistake from Ned. His honor really got in the way of doing what would have been best for the realm. Hopefully Jon doesn't make any similar mistakes if the time ever comes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well yeah, I was talking about the audience...

It was subtle the way they decided to show it. It is one of those things that you notice while re-watching it because you pay more attention to detail. The audience already knew the truth, so did Ned. But it was a great subtle thing to show while Robert was telling Ned what to write.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
It was subtle the way they decided to show it. It is one of those things that you notice while re-watching it because you pay more attention to detail. The audience already knew the truth, so did Ned. But it was a great subtle thing to show while Robert was telling Ned what to write.

I get what you are saying, what I am saying is I didnt think it was supposed to be subtle

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

That scene really annoyed me... why couldn't Robert do his announcment with everyone still in the room? that way no bs.

Well, I'm guessing there would still be bs but still!

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Without wanting to go too deep into theory-land... what are the opinions on what the importance of Bran's visions (or the ability to have them) will be?

"The past is already written. The ink is dry" from last season really calms me. This should prevent that the show goes too much down the "fate-road" where Bran influenced everything in the past for the better/right outcome. The scene at the Tower of Joy where he shouted at young Ned indicated that it could be somewhat like this, but luckily what has happened has happened and cannot be changed. And I still don't understand the Hodor-loop entirely.

I get the feeling though that there is a bit of a "history repeats itself" topic going on... (Targaryen resurgence, revival of the Dragons, Cersei behaving more and more like a mad king, awakening of the danger in the north and the need for a protection against those dangers with the wall, etc.).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That scene really annoyed me... why couldn't Robert do his announcment with everyone still in the room? that way no bs.

Well, I'm guessing there would still be bs but still!

I don't think anyone anticipated that Cersei would straight up disregard the letter after it was annoumced. Selmy was the only guy who balked at her gesture.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Without wanting to go too deep into theory-land... what are the opinions on what the importance of Bran's visions (or the ability to have them) will be?

"The past is already written. The ink is dry" from last season really calms me. This should prevent that the show goes too much down the "fate-road" where Bran influenced everything in the past for the better/right outcome. The scene at the Tower of Joy where he shouted at young Ned indicated that it could be somewhat like this, but luckily what has happened has happened and cannot be changed. And I still don't understand the Hodor-loop entirely.

I get the feeling though that there is a bit of a "history repeats itself" topic going on... (Targaryen resurgence, revival of the Dragons, Cersei behaving more and more like a mad king, awakening of the danger in the north and the need for a protection against those dangers with the wall, etc.).

My theory is that Brann is the one known as Bran the builder, who built Winterfell and the Wall. Not sure how it plays out tho.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Littlefinger as a possible suitor för Cersei. As a widower to Lysa, especially if something happens to Robin Arryn he will have a similar claim to the Vale as Cersei has to the Iron Throne. And knowing Littlefinger he has already persuaded Robin to name him heir. We already know his ultimate goal is the throne, albeit he wants Sansa by his side. But he has also already proven that he's ready to sacrifice Sansa to his ambitions. It would be impossible for him to not have heard at least rumours of Ramsey Bolton. So I can see him making a push for power by allying with Cersei.

To speculate further, the most logical resolution to the looming war is for Jon and Dany to marry to cement their alliance and assure the support of the north, leaving Sansa as the lady of Winterfell.

Jon's arc will be very interesting as no one so far knows about his heritage. At the moment it's just Bran, Howland Reed and the unamed serving woman in the Tower of Joy scene and Robb did name Jon his heir and at the same time legitimzed him, albeit under the false impression that he was Ned's *******. I suspect that Jon will at some point tame one of the dragons and that will lead to speculation of who his parents are. And that is what will make Sansa make her bid as Queen of the North as the last (to everyone's knowledge) Stark. She will fail because the Northern lords want a proven warrior and leader of men, not a woman. Also, by marrying Bolton she is no longer a Stark, leading to a possible Stark v Stark struggle. Although personally I think Jon would abdicate in her favour, because that's the kind of man he is, but not be allowed to by the lords who have sworn to him.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Littlefinger as a possible suitor för Cersei. As a widower to Lysa, especially if something happens to Robin Arryn he will have a similar claim to the Vale as Cersei has to the Iron Throne. And knowing Littlefinger he has already persuaded Robin to name him heir. We already know his ultimate goal is the throne, albeit he wants Sansa by his side. But he has also already proven that he's ready to sacrifice Sansa to his ambitions. It would be impossible for him to not have heard at least rumours of Ramsey Bolton. So I can see him making a push for power by allying with Cersei.

I think that's a little too convoluted. Littlefinger has power right now because he's essentially Lord of the Vale. Everyone in the Vale believes the Lannister's killed Jon Arryn, making them the enemy. If he went to Cersei he'd lose the Vale, and without the Vale he brings nothing to the table.

The answer here should be pretty simple, Euron Greyjoy should be the one to join Cersei. Regardless though the fight over the iron throne is no longer the key plot point, it's how the survivors are going to band together to face the whitewalkers and the coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad