TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part XII | (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Top ten favourite characters still alive:

1) The Hound
2) Bronn
3) Littlefinger
4) Jon Snow
5) Tormund Giantsbane
6) Arya
7) Varys
8) Brienne
9) Davos
10) I forget her name, the old lady from Highgarden

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

1) The Hound
2) Bronn
3) Littlefinger
4) Jon Snow
5) Tormund Giantsbane
6) Arya
7) Varys
8) Brienne
9) Davos

Olenna, the Queen of Thorns

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

1) The Hound
2) Bronn
3) Littlefinger
4) Jon Snow
5) Tormund Giantsbane
6) Arya
7) Varys
8) Brienne
9) Davos

Good old Lady Olenna.

Which reminds me, here's a picture of Diana Rigg(who plays Olenna) from the 60s.

MV5BMTY4NTYzMDc1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTQ5NDM2._V1_.jpg

It's weird because she actually looks kinda like Margaery.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Alive:

1) Jon Snow
2) Bronn
3) tyrion
4) Cersei
5) hound
6) Jamie
7) olenna
8) Sansa
9) Missandei :)
10) Varys

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Characters I like: Tormund, The Hound, Daario, Tyrion, Thoros, Olenna.

Characters I don't like: Cersei, Dany, Sansa, Brienne, Robin, Littlefinger.

Also liked Tywin and Ramsay. Come to think of it, probably my 2 favorite characters.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Ramsay legitimately made me angry. But he was so good at moving the plot of the show in interesting ways.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
are the wildlings literate? i mean, I'm sure many aren't, but do some of them at least have an alphabet and written language that they've passed down over the generations?

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
are the wildlings literate? i mean, I'm sure many aren't, but do some of them at least have an alphabet and written language that they've passed down over the generations?

Most of the wildlings have adapted the same common language as Westeros and the rest use the old tongue which was the language of The First Men and was only written with runes and may or may not have been passed down by the Wildlings that still use it.

Mance Rayder was raised at Castle Black as a child so he was probably literate but for most wildlings it's kind of pointless to learn considering their lifestyle.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Most of the wildlings have adapted the same common language as Westeros and the rest use the old tongue which was the language of The First Men and was only written with runes and may or may not have been passed down by the Wildlings that still use it.

Mance Rayder was raised at Castle Black as a child so he was probably literate but for most wildlings it's kind of pointless to learn considering their lifestyle.

Ok, if that's the case, then how do we know how Ygritte (whom I assume is illiterate) is spelled? She wouldn't have spelled it for Jon when she met him, so all he'd know is how it sounds. If someone told you their name was pronounced "Egrit" and you had to guess how it was spelled, you may not guess "Ygritte" in your first thousand guesses. If she and her parents were illiterate, then her name probably didn't even have a spelling!

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Most people in Westeros are illiterate, so it's highly likely the Wildlings are too. They definitely don't have the type of society that lends itself to education beyond the needs of survival.

As for spelling - does it really matter?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Most people in Westeros are illiterate, so it's highly likely the Wildlings are too. They definitely don't have the type of society that lends itself to education beyond the needs of survival.

As for spelling - does it really matter?

Kinda. I mean, it's a really exotic way to spell something that is pronounced rather simplistic, isn't it?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I think the spelling is just a way to make the name seem vaguely Norse, so people make the connection that Wildlings are supposed to be these fierce warriors of the north. Same thing with Tormund. They're not old Norse names, but they kinda seem like they could be.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Picked up HBO a couple weeks ago to watch this show. I'm all caught up now but not sure if I need HBO until next summer. Any recommendations on a series to start? Only other HBO series I've watched is the wire and I binge watched that in a couple weeks, last year.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Picked up HBO a couple weeks ago to watch this show. I'm all caught up now but not sure if I need HBO until next summer. Any recommendations on a series to start? Only other HBO series I've watched is the wire and I binge watched that in a couple weeks, last year.

Rome

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
let's talk about the mechanics of killing wights. In several battle scenes in this series, it seems like they only need to be "re-killed" once. Burning them, crushing them or tearing them apart will do it. That makes sense. An arrow through the head will also do it. But why is that the case? If you put an arrow through a wight's head, aren't they just as dead as they were a second ago? They go down, but what's stopping the white walker's power from immediately reviving it a second time?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
let's talk about the mechanics of killing wights. In several battle scenes in this series, it seems like they only need to be "re-killed" once. Burning them, crushing them or tearing them apart will do it. That makes sense. An arrow through the head will also do it. But why is that the case? If you put an arrow through a wight's head, aren't they just as dead as they were a second ago? They go down, but what's stopping the white walker's power from immediately reviving it a second time?

What is dead may never die...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad