TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part VIII (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So is the Dorne storyline just done or was it cut or what's the deal here?

Probably done for this season, but i would be very surprised if they don't go back to it in the future.

I think the reason they are not showing Dorne is that Cersie is too busy trying to deal with the high sparrow right now. If and when she gets rid of him somehow, then Dorne may get back into the picture.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
What if Mace is pulling a 'Keyser Soze' this whole time? Acting like the singing and bumbling fool, who can't even steer his own horse, to keep himself off of everyone's radar, while he quietly manoeuvres behind people's back?

The Tyrells don't have any love for the Lannisters, and i'm sure that's true of Mace as it is for Olenna, Loras, and Margaery. What if Mace went to Bravos and made side deals that we don't know of with the Iron Bank? The small council unwittingly sent him, which could have played right into his hands, and by the time they'll figure out whatever Mace may have done, it'll be too late, and he'll be 'walking like a boss' having pulled off Westeros biggest coup/fake-out?

I'm telling ya, it would make people's mouths drop if Mace turned out to be some genius strategist. :nod:

We already have that in Pycelle

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There was a reason Robb thought they would ally with him against the Lannisters. Lannisport is right next to them and probably the most valuable thing they could grab by sea power in the immediate vincity. Plus as independance movements they'd be each others only viable long-term allies. Robb didn't anticipate Euron being a strategic incompetent motivated by a gruge against Ned Stark.

Instead in a pique of stupidity they decided to attack the North's western shore, which was an easy target but got them pretty much no where in terms of the Iron Born's long term goals.

Wow, that's not actually how it goes down. :laugh:

The Ironborn are a proud people, thats for sure, but they're not stupid.

You'll probably have to clarify. There are a hundred Arya theories and none of them are particularly new. Even before the episode some were predicting the theory I think you're alluding to.

Theres pictures of the Waif with someone behind her, believed to be of the next episode. Really familiar shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wow, that's not actually how it goes down, in the show and in the books. :laugh:

Theres pictures of the Waif with someone behind her, believed to be of the next episode. Really familiar shape.

I saw and than finally noticed it today. If it is true than HBO seemingly goofed releasing that pic.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

Its even more apparent taking into account the books at the greater lore, the Greyjoys, particularly Balon, consistently make short-sighted decisions that get them nowhere.

- The first Greyjoy rebellion was horribly ill-conceived, pitting the Iron Born (who aren't even as powerful as a full kingdom of Westeros) against the undistratcted power of Robert. Much like his second rebellion they had initial success due to suprise but once their opponents organized their horrible strategic situation got them quickly defeated.

- Their policy of universial aggression and contempt for "greenlanders" makes them the enemy of just about everyone and they consistently fail to understand that they aren't strong enough on their own to survive with that kind of behaviour. The iron born aren't even all that powerful at sea in the grand scheme of things.

- Their culture appears to be in the process of a conservative reaction to modernity seeking a return to the golden age of Harren the Black prior to the pre-Targaryean conquest. They completely fail to understand that conditions have changed such that the old ways are no longer viable. You could be a culture of arrogant sea-raiders looting the divided Westeros of old, but the mainlanders are too organized these days to be all that vulnerable to the iron born unless they're temporarily being distracted by some other matter.

- Hence the most recent development. Euron sells them on gambling everything on a pie in the sky scheme to get everything they want because that's the only way they can achieve their unrealistic goals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya after another rewatch I just can't take that Arya scene straight. If that is really her, she is a total idiot.

I also can't believe she survived that, never mind walking around. Just isn't anything in this show, or really any fantasy when it comes to stab wounds where someone isn't at least on the brink of dying, if not outright dead. Definitely not flipping off a bridge and walking around after swimming to shore.

Need a twist here or I'm calling ********. Never mind her jumping off rooptops like we see in the episode preview.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

No I'd say that is pretty much how it went down, Robb made the miscalculation of underestimating an old mans grudge (and twice at that!). The Starks were a key factor in putting down the first ill advised Greyjoy rebellion, and because Balon lost two sons to a largely Stark/North led assault he wanted to stick it to them.

So they raided a bunch of poor fishing villages and captured a few unimportant keeps along the North's West coast while the armies were away. But look how handedly they got their ***** kicked once the armies started coming back - and a decimated army at that.

If you look at a map of the North all the important houses - Stark's, Karstark's, Umbers, Bolton's, Manderly's, are located in the central or Eastern regions of the North. Balon had the opportunity to raid all the fabled gold of Lannisport, but instead he raided the North's Western Coast which probably got them dick all.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
No I'd say that is pretty much how it went down, Robb made the miscalculation of underestimating an old mans grudge (and twice at that!). The Starks were a key factor in putting down the first ill advised Greyjoy rebellion, and because Balon lost two sons to a largely Stark/North led assault he wanted to stick it to them.

So they raided a bunch of poor fishing villages and captured a few unimportant keeps along the North's West coast while the armies were away. But look how handedly they got their ***** kicked once the armies started coming back - and a decimated army at that.

If you look at a map of the North all the important houses - Stark's, Karstark's, Umbers, Bolton's, Manderly's, are located in the central or Eastern regions of the North. Balon had the opportunity to raid all the fabled gold of Lannisport, but instead he raided the North's Western Coast which probably got them dick all.

Not to mention if they want to pull of their little rebellion they need to pursue two strategic goals above all else.

1-Destroy opposing fleets to maintain local naval superiority so their homeland can't be invaded.

2-Keep the rest of the Seven Kingdoms disunited to prevent them from concentrating against the Iron Islanders and overwhelming them

Attacking the North does nothing to help them with 1, as their is no significant naval base or enemy fleet on the North's western coast. Its somewhat counterproductive to it as dilutes their strength holding strategically irrelvant territory while their manpower gets attrited by the Northerner's resistance.

More importantly, its incredibly counterproductive to goal number 2. The Starks are a much bigger threat to anyone who sits on the Iron Throne than the Greyjoys, thus draw attention and resources away from the Greyjoys. Just by existing they help the Greyjoy cause. They help even more as potential allies. Undermining the Starks directly hurts the Greyjoys to minimal long term benefit. Its the strategy of a man who can't think any steps ahead.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Prophecy stated he will eventually. Might as well be him.

I'm very worried about Lyanna Mormont. She's so adorably tough, I'd be heartbroken if she died. Oh and Jon, Sansa, and Davos as well.

More likely that Lyanna Mormont paints the field of battle with Bolton blood.

Not to mention if they want to pull of their little rebellion they need to pursue two strategic goals above all else.

1-Destroy opposing fleets to maintain local naval superiority so their homeland can't be invaded.

2-Keep the rest of the Seven Kingdoms disunited to prevent them from concentrating against the Iron Islanders and overwhelming them

Attacking the North does nothing to help them with 1, as their is no significant naval base or enemy fleet on the North's western coast. Its somewhat counterproductive to it as dilutes their strength holding strategically irrelvant territory while their manpower gets attrited by the Northerner's resistance.

More importantly, its incredibly counterproductive to goal number 2. The Starks are a much bigger threat to anyone who sits on the Iron Throne than the Greyjoys, thus draw attention and resources away from the Greyjoys. Just by existing they help the Greyjoy cause. They help even more as potential allies. Undermining the Starks directly hurts the Greyjoys to minimal long term benefit. Its the strategy of a man who can't think any steps ahead.

I agree with these Iron Born posts completely. Balon especially was a damn fool who didn't have a strategic thought in his head. They have routinely prioritized short term gains out of spite for long term planning that could actually benefit them.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
If Walf is actually Arya and arya dies, who wins the deathpool? :sarcasm:

I was thinking about this scenario too actually. Do potential Fight Club alter-egos count? :huh: :laugh:

I suppose whoever was under the 'face' would be the one dead. Whether it be really be Arya, The Waif, or Jaqen.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It has to be some kind of face-swap thing with Arya. The Fight-club theory is BS. If that is where they are going with this story line, it's officially worse than Dorne

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
If it's really a fake Arya then while it very well could be it doesn't necessarily mean it's Jacquen that the Waif stabbed.

True. I was just stating the possibilities. It could actually be Arya, or it could be the Waif/Jaqen with a Arya face. Since Jaqen has been the only one to wear Arya's face thus far, my bet is that it was him, that the Waif stabbed, and not Arya.

I think the Waif will see the real Arya, and realize that it wasn't Arya she stabbed previously, and chase her down to finish the job, and Arya will see the Waif coming, without a disguise, which is why we see Arya running and leaping to escape her.

I'm telling ya, it fits! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad