Post-Game Talk: |Game #LII | Loss | The one where the Jerks jerked us around

The Jerks are:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Simon and ZAR with their 4 goals between them in 90 games is a problem. I don’t give a shit about their much vaunted “defense.” If you’re a regular roster forward, you need to be capable of scoring the odd goal. True contenders won’t have forwards who can’t score as roster regulars.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
You know this website has a blatant agenda when people are complaining in the PGT about wanting to break up a line that had 2 goals in the game.

Some of you guys are so predictable. GCR is literally the best top line the Penguins have had in the Crosby era.
Malkin was on the ice for Rust's goal?

Also, we have seen what GCR can do for almost two seasons now. Last year, if you deduct his empty net points, Sid would have been below a ppg for the first time in his career. This year if you deduct empty net pts, Sid is probably near a ppg. Sid has like 7 ES pts in the last 20 games. Given these facts, it is reasonable to suggest it night be better to break it up and create balance

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You know this website has a blatant agenda when people are complaining in the PGT about wanting to break up a line that had 2 goals in the game.

Some of you guys are so predictable. GCR is literally the best top line the Penguins have had in the Crosby era.

This is pretty much what sets me off. We scored 2 goals at ES today in the loss. Two members of GCR scored both of those goals. The Pens literally got zero goals at ES (since PP seems to not matter) from anyone other than Crosby or Rust, and yet the focus for some people in this thread is grumbling about GCR.

Jesus, folks. At least pick a PGT where no one on GCR scored to push the anti-GCR agenda. It would at least make more sense than harping about it in a PGT thread where they accounted for 100% of our ES offense.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is not even remotely a need. Jarry just had a two game rest, and the team has lost two straight games against two top teams. Jarry is a top 5 goalie in this league and for better or worse, their season/playoffs rides on his shoulders.

It would be prudent to get back Teddy and add an impact forward and a #6 RD with some size. Getting Teddy back doesn't fix what happen today or even last game.

Costs, well... those are the costs for contending.

You are either serious about doing it or you are not. They are not going to go back to 5 on 5 success as currently constructed.

Balance... The goaltending is fine, do a better job both ways in front of them.
Yeah dude, CDS being the insurance policy for when/if Jarry gets exhausted or injured or falters is fine. Not even remotely a need. :laugh:

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Why the hell is this post-game largely about Malkin? He was fine. So was Crosby for that matter(since people seem intent on pitting them against one another in every discussion). Team-wide defensive breakdowns and questionable effort for long stretches lost this game. Singling out any individuals reeks of an agenda.

I couldn't watch, but this sounds par for the course. I'd like more snarl from this team. Our Cups teams didn't get pushed around. Feels like we let stuff go a lot, against our most important players. 'Just play' doesn't have to mean 'just bend over'.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Malkin was on the ice for Rust's goal?

Also, we have seen what GCR can do for almost two seasons now. Last year, if you deduct his empty net points, Sid would have been below a ppg for the first time in his career. This year if you deduct empty net pts, Sid is probably near a ppg. Sid has like 7 ES pts in the last 20 games. Given these facts, it is reasonable to suggest it night be better to break it up and create balance

Pro tip: if you have to manipulate numbers by saying "if they didn't happen, XXX would be true", your argument is garbage.

You can tell who actually watched the game when you have people saying GCR scored two goals today.

@Sidney the Kidney @Empoleon8771

Oh no, it was in the middle of a change where Rust scored with Guentzel and Malkin on the ice. I guess that means it doesn't count.

Dear lord people, the agenda pushing that this website insists on doing literally anytime they lose is so obnoxious.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t want him near this team when we are remotely healthy. He has too much control over this team. Enough is enough. I’m tired of only seeing him effective with a delpleted team.
And once again if you think some other coach is gonna come in here and make us into a legit cup contender you're gonna be very disappointed. Our stars aren't once they once were. Their still good, but just not good enough.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I couldn't watch, but this sounds par for the course. I'd like more snarl from this team. Our Cups teams didn't get pushed around. Feels like we let stuff go a lot, against our most important players. 'Just play' doesn't have to mean 'just bend over'.
Honestly I thought we were pretty feisty and didn't back down.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Outclassed and outworked by a faster, deeper, better team.

Two consecutive stinkers verse legit teams.

Man, if Jarry goes cold…yuck.

Hate to be so negative, but they team has looked pretty blah lately.

Reactions: Andy99 and Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If the Pens are anywhere near the analytical group JR was while running the team, they could isolate trouble areas. When a team runs as one and is somewhat consistent it will be a domino affect one way or the other either feasting or famine. You clearly don't have the feasting save the top line as a whole putting all the strain on a single line. There's just no balance whatsoever.

One impact forward and one #6 bottom pair D-man and see what happens.

Getting TB back for the 4th line will help, but it will not tip the scales, not when the issues are higher on the depth chart. Zucker doesn't even fix it.

The team is just too flawed.
Based on the way this team plays, I think Teddy has as much impact on our success as any forward minus Sid, Jake and maybe Rust. He's that important. I don't think it tips the scales as you said yourself. I do think it does improve our chances slightly however. We miss him dearly!

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also don't agree that this team is "too flawed" right now. They're flawed because Kapanen stinks all of a sudden, Rodrigues came crashing back down to earth (but I thought he had a very good game today) and they're missing Blueger and Zucker due to injuries. This team is obviously not perfect, but they're really not this massively flawed roster either.

Idk if it's just unreasonable expectations or what. But having Chad Ruhwedel as your #6 doesn't mean that you're too flawed to win. Sure, it would be swell to replace Kapanen with a LWer who doesn't suck this year to play with Malkin and they need to upgrade on DeSmith to give Jarry some rest, but that's about it.

Reactions: orby

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I also don't agree that this team is "too flawed" right now. They're flawed because Kapanen stinks all of a sudden, Rodrigues came crashing back down to earth (but I thought he had a very good game today) and they're missing Blueger and Zucker due to injuries. This team is obviously not perfect, but they're really not this massively flawed roster either.

Idk if it's just unreasonable expectations or what. But having Chad Ruhwedel as your #6 doesn't mean that you're too flawed to win. Sure, it would be swell to replace Kapanen with a LWer who doesn't suck this year to play with Malkin and they need to upgrade on DeSmith to give Jarry some rest, but that's about it.

I'm still not sold we've got a collection that's the right mix for the playoffs. I don't trust the referees to actually call interference or those cross checks come playoff time, so I think we've got too many players who rely on time and space to do well and look a bit out of sorts when they've gotta score dirty goals after battling for space.

We'll see come playoff time if I'm proven wrong. But I still remain unsold on our mix on the wing. Especially now that Kapanen's turning into a disaster and E-Rod's crashed back down to Earth.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This probably isn't the game to have it out about GCR's even-strength production.

It's just...winning and empty net points obscure a lot of mediocrity and now that the team is losing we can look at things more critically. Today GCR was pretty good. Anyone who just watched how GCR has performed over the past month could have told you this was a problem. The spotlight suddenly arriving in this PGT is weird but not unexpected.

The team lost because of the defensive breakdowns and allowing goals in the first 10 seconds of periods. Plus PP1 is making awful, awful, awful decisions on zone entries and the drop pass has turned into a pumpkin again. Time to add more speed and do dump/chase on the PP, as much as I hate it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm still not sold we've got a collection that's the right mix for the playoffs. I don't trust the referees to actually call interference or those cross checks come playoff time, so I think we've got too many players who rely on time and space to do well and look a bit out of sorts when they've gotta score dirty goals after battling for space.

We'll see come playoff time if I'm proven wrong. But I still remain unsold on our mix on the wing. Especially now that Kapanen's turning into a disaster and E-Rod's crashed back down to Earth.

I don't think there is really such a thing as a "right mix" for the playoffs. I think the playoffs are mostly a crapshoot and whether you win or lose depends almost entirely on whether you or your opponent can get hot.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I wonder if the Canes' goal at the beginning of the third was a record for the fastest goal when you lose the faceoff and you have to wait for the other team to blindly give you the puck.

I'd like to think that the Pens have been mostly playing against crappy opponents for the past couple months and they'll get used to the speed of the better teams and will stop having so many horrific giveaways, but I guess we'll see.

Our PK has been quite pedestrian since Teddy got hurt. If for no other reason, he can't get back soon enough.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don't think there is really such a thing as a "right mix" for the playoffs. I think the playoffs are mostly a crapshoot and whether you win or lose depends almost entirely on whether you or your opponent can get hot.

Meh I disagree with this a lot. that simplifies the playoffs to luck. Good playoff teams have a diverse team with lots of depth. That helps you win rounds against different opponents. This team has too many of the same players on it. Maybe healthy it has a better mix. But the playoffs are not just about being hot. Its about teams that can adjust based on opponents.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
This team needs bottom 6 players who can energize the lineup with a hit or with a goal. Players in the bottom 6 who try to have a neutral effect on the game bring nothing.

Right now ZAR, Simon, Erod, Kap, Boyle bring little energy to a lineup.

Sure simon and erod just scored but its not enough to have 1 goal in 20 games.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They are a flawed team because there are two distinct types of Penguins rosters, one with their stars taking up top minutes, and one without them and secondary players taking up those top minutes.

Their games are nowhere even remotely the same, you can't cross vector/mix them and come out with the same kind of results/efforts. Obviously not talking about winning or losing. How they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00