The Jerks are:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Carolina is good and played well but it seemed like we were shooting ourselves in the foot a lot. Junk passes, bad shot attempts, etc.

This is exactly why I didn't want Sully back. We've already seen the best commitment, the best team defense of the season. It's all fits and strutters from here on out. They just won't listen to him unless half the team's out anymore.

Not listening to the coach will yet again sink this team. If only ...

Reactions: ChaosAgent

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Steigy pining for Glue line...ZAR-Blueger-McGinn...God help us, because this is what its prevalant wisdom, if you can't overcome loss of Teddy, yu hang them up

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Carolina is good and played well but it seemed like we were shooting ourselves in the foot a lot. Junk passes, bad shot attempts, etc.

That seems to be the theme with this team a lot of games, even in ones where we manage to still win.

I think it's also why we rarely blow other teams out. We'll get big leads and then start doing stupid stuff and turn 5-1 laughers into 5-4 nail biters.

I don't think we'll ever see 60 minute efforts consistently from this group. It is what it is at this point.

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Honestly, Carolina looked a whole lot like us today.

Painfully mediocre.
Thank you! Canes did not impress me at all. That Top 6 of Leafs is way better than Canes...if we bring 60 minutes skating effort, just friggin skating, I'll take us in 5

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A backup to keep Jarry fresh since the entire season rests on his and the 1st line's shoulders, or another legit scoring line winger so we have some scoring depth?

larry-david-unsure.gif
All we need now is a GM capable of making a move.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That seems to be the theme with this team a lot of games, even in ones where we manage to still win.

I think it's also why we rarely blow other teams out. We'll get big leads and then start doing stupid stuff and turn 5-1 laughers into 5-4 nail biters.

I don't think we'll ever see 60 minute efforts consistently from this group. It is what it is at this point.

It was that way in 15-16 and 16-17 too.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I haven't been overly wowed by any team this year to be honest. They all look pretty human to me. I think that's just the nature of the league anymore. The gap between the best and the worst - whether we're talking players or teams - just keeps on getting smaller.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

I think you are onto something. The sheer talent shows up 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there and make things up..Now its coaching, how do you convince them to play 60 minutes, maybe just a little bit more competition for the spots...dunno, but I am worried that Sully does not either. He says almost all the right things all the time, but to no avail

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A backup will be cheaper so I’d go with that.
Definitely don't see us landing a real offensive punch with the cap situation and a FO who is adamant they're not interested in dealing significant futures.

-edit- Even if we LTIR Zucker for the rest of the season, I don't think we have the assets to land a difference maker. Especially if we're dead-set on hanging on to those coveted mid-20s 1st round picks. :laugh:

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I haven't been overly wowed by any team this year to be honest. They all look pretty human to me. I think that's just the nature of the league anymore. The gap between the best and the worst - whether we're talking players or teams - just keeps on getting smaller.

Florida is the only team I’ve seen consistently be a beast. Flames and Minnesota too, but they’ve had some bad stretches.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
GCR is a net 0 over their last 20 games at 5v5.

Our coach thinking this line is some dynamic powerhouse is a real issue.

They've also been getting some really bad shooting luck.

Everything about their underlying performance (ie. shots, chances, xGF, etc.) they're doing well. The pucks just aren't going in.

But it's easier to blame that one line than to focus on the fact we're getting almost zero offense from anyone not named Malkin outside of those three.

This board gets unbearable to read with how much it bitches about the one line that's actually producing (oh wait, PP and ES points don't matter, just 5on5).

I think I'm going to stick to the main boards for now. Caps, Flyers and Red Wings fans seem to rag on Crosby less than our own fanbase does at this point.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They've also been getting some really bad shooting luck.

Everything about their underlying performance (ie. shots, chances, xGF, etc.) they're doing well. The pucks just aren't going in.

But it's easier to blame that one line than to focus on the fact we're getting almost zero offense from anyone not named Malkin outside of those three.

This board gets unbearable to read with how much it bitches about the one line that's actually producing (oh wait, PP and ES points don't matter, just 5on5).

Why are we judging depth players on their PP and ES scoring exactly?

What does GCR scoring with or against an empty net or on the Powerplay have to do with them as a line?

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Florida is the only team I’ve seen consistently be a beast. Flames and Minnesota too, but they’ve had some bad stretches.
You could be right on that because, while I try to watch a lot of hockey from around the league, Florida is one of the handful of teams I don't catch a lot of.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Sid was fine but it was entirely due to his effort rather than GCR being some magical line that can't be touched.

Rust to L2 plz

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
"That line has had such an impact on our team consistently, game in and game out. That's one of the reasons why we haven't really touched that line with respect to the rest of the group."

Keep respecting the rest of the group Sully.
That's funny. When GMR was tearing up the league Sully had no problem breaking it up as soon as he got a chance

Reactions: Cape and Pens x

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also @Sidney the Kidney, if we are going to give GCR credit for PP production. Then the last two games lie at their feet. We lost the last two games largely because of the ineptitude of the Powerplay.

Who is giving them "credit" for PP production? It's called looking at their production as a whole rather than just hyper focusing on one aspect.

Also, just kind of funny that in a game where two members of GCR accounted for the only 2 goals the Pens scored at ES today, it's apparently their fault for not scoring more that we lost. If we're going to bash them, then at least do it after a game every single player on that line gets zero points, not one where they accounted for 66% of the offense and 100% of the offense at ES.

But go on. GCR is the big issue with this club, not the fact we're getting practically zero depth scoring the past 15+ games.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Who is giving them "credit" for PP production? It's called looking at their production as a whole rather than just hyper focusing on one aspect.

Also, just kind of funny that in a game where two members of GCR accounted for the only 2 goals the Pens scored at ES today, it's apparently their fault for not scoring more that we lost. If we're going to bash them, then at least do it after a game every single player on that line gets zero points, not one where they accounted for 66% of the offense and 100% of the offense at ES.

But go on. GCR is the big issue with this club, not the fact we're getting practically zero depth scoring the past 15+ games.

Pp production is different from ES production. I can't believe you are using GCRs pp production to justify keeping them together at ES. You can keep GCR together on the pp and split them up at ES.

Should we play Malkin at LD at ES since the pp is producing so much with Malkin on D with GCR?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
A backup to keep Jarry fresh since the entire season rests on his and the 1st line's shoulders, or another legit scoring line winger so we have some scoring depth?

larry-david-unsure.gif

A backup will be cheaper so I’d go with that.

This is not even remotely a need. Jarry just had a two game rest, and the team has lost two straight games against two top teams. Jarry is a top 5 goalie in this league and for better or worse, their season/playoffs rides on his shoulders.

It would be prudent to get back Teddy and add an impact forward and a #6 RD with some size. Getting Teddy back doesn't fix what happen today or even last game.

Costs, well... those are the costs for contending.

You are either serious about doing it or you are not. They are not going to go back to 5 on 5 success as currently constructed.

Balance... The goaltending is fine, do a better job both ways in front of them.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pp production is different from ES production. I can't believe you are using GCRs pp production to justify keeping them together at ES. You can keep GCR together on the pp and split them up at ES.

Should we play Malkin at LD at ES since the pp is producing so much with Malkin on D with GCR?

Literally not my point.

My point is all I see in these post game threads is people ripping on GCR despite the fact a much bigger issue is 99% of the rest of the forwards on the roster have gone ice cold.

I personally don't even care if they get split up. I'd just like to read a PGT after a loss where GCR isn't the most talked about culprit for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad