Post-Game Talk: | Game # IIX | Pens loss | The one were we lost to a bunch of "who?'s"

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
we're overthinking these games. crosby was a lightning bolt the first three games. players look slower when they lack confidence.

the team is obviously capable when they manage the puck, everything flows from that. they got overconfident and slacked on puck management and they aren't having success. with older stars and an older team that isn't as talented as it used to be, puck management is more important than any other aspect of the game and everyone on the ice has to be committed to it. the pens will look like they did in the first three games when they commit to playing right
you sound like Sully here, I will agree if you explain to me what does it mean being overconfident and the famous one: puck management, Is overconfident, I will show up and will put 20% of effort needed to win the game and the opponent will just let me do it? If yes what the f*** is coach doing, why is he playing overconfident players, and why is he not telling them not to be overconfident...and puck management...I understand what puck management but how do one goes from managing the puck to not managing the puck? Do they need to practice shorter passes and skating closer to each other to support, and if they some of them are not doing why not? Is Sully going to teach them how to manage the puck. I don't think they show up on ice and say: Tonight I will not manage the puck. would be really curious to hear what you think?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
you sound like Sully here, I will agree if you explain to me what does it mean being overconfident and the famous one: puck management, Is overconfident, I will show up and will put 20% of effort needed to win the game and the opponent will just let me do it? If yes what the f*** is coach doing, why is he playing overconfident players, and why is he not telling them not to be overconfident...and puck management...I understand what puck management but how do one goes from managing the puck to not managing the puck? Do they need to practice shorter passes and skating closer to each other to support, and if they some of them are not doing why not? Is Sully going to teach them how to manage the puck. I don't think they show up on ice and say: Tonight I will not manage the puck. would be really curious to hear what you think?
as much as you want to think people don't have off days, they do. athletes get overconfident just like everyone else. I'm not talking about Sullivan or how he can or can't fix issues, as that has been beaten to death. I'm just describing what I think is going on. there's no comparison between the laser-like focus this team had in the first three games and what's going on now. yes, managing the puck is about staying close together on the ice and making high-percentage plays instead of hope plays. it's about dumping it in instead of trying behind the back no look bank passes off the boards as you enter the zone. when rookies are trying stuff like this, it tells me the entire team's focus is off.

playing the way we did in the first three games requires a lot of discipline and focus. with our older team, it's more important than ever. we just don't have the wheels or the talent across the lineup to screw around like we are now. You can blame coaches and they certainly have tools to bench guys who aren't playing right, but this is something the team is going to have to fix.

People pining for ZAR and trying to blame the roster are just trying to find reasons why we look like shit IMO. This is a good roster. Tired of the players talking to the media about '60 minute games', like f*** off already lol. We heard that all last year and the year before. I'm done hearing that shit. Listen to anything Crosby said and you can copy paste from 2021 and 2020 and 2019. Enough is enough. The team needs to show it on the ice.

Hextall is right. You don't always have to have your A game, that is not possible. But you can't look the way we have looked for entire periods this year game after game. Pros don't let that happen. Better fix it

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
We need some new rules around here. I’ll start with rule #1:

You must be 35 years old to post on this board.(season ticket holders are exempt of this rule)

See you guys in 4 years.
Might I suggest a "retirement age" rule #2 as well? I've got to be one of the oldest f***ers in here and I'm getting mean and my cognitive abilities are turning to shit.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love how much you hate him and also how much truth is buried in your over the top posts.

That being said, we are staying competitive.
Hardly. The last 3 games and the Habs one is not being competitive. It’s the usual things that have plagued this team, still not under control. While it’s early, you’d expect a mostly veteran squad to know how to snap out of bs. But watching that game, it was Sid being hot and cold with weird rando passes to bad areas and Malkin trying to make the most of the worst winger situation in year what 10 or something?

Letang was an abomination, Dumoulin was even worse, not sure what Petry does, for a bloke that can score, he sure does not like taking many shots or opportunities, which makes me always go back to - this is what the coaching staff wants. They get these pmd types and then neuter them and it all has to go through Letang. I liked what I saw out of Sam Poulin and would have liked Puustinen and O’Connor tried with Malkin as call ups and not Heinen and Carter.

This is our team now. What we saw the last 5 seasons to when Sully retires in 20yrs as a pens coach.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Only two teams in the NHL have more than 11 points - Boston at 16 and Vegas at 14.

Out of the 32 teams in the NHL, 22 of them have between 8-10 points. The Penguins have nine.

Do they need to play better? Absolutely. Is this road trip the death rattle that some are making it out to seem? Absolutely not.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Meh. Sid has these stretches all the time even when he was in his 20s where he just doesn't move his feet and is way too reactionary.

Then he'll put together 10+ games in a row where he's a dog on a bone with the puck and making ridiculous play after ridiculous play.

Too bad he doesn't put together those games in deciding moments in playoffs.

So much overpaid garbage on this team, it's suffocating.

Evgeny Malkin for 4 years and Kris Letang for 6 years.
jim-carrey-throw-up.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Live look in at powerplay practice:

1667079425484.png

how do you upload GIFs anymore?

Last edited:

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Please spare me this excusemaking s...t. Crosby Malkin and Letang played but they lost becuase of the absence of Guentzel and Zucker and Blueger. You are out of your mind.
Outside of Teddy not playing this year, the line of Zucker Malkin and Rust was one of the best second lines in the NHL to start this season. Heinen and Carter are not top six forwards; so when both Guentzel and Zucker are out the pens are going to take a step back.

• Haha
Reactions: Angrrus

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
ZAR hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in TOR, though. 7GP, 0G 0A -3

There's low event and then there is "I literally don't do anything."

It's not even just his basic stat line, you should see his various analytics (the thing people cling to to argue he was a premiere defensive forward). He's not just a minus-3 on the season but his line is getting CAVED IN badly. He's basically been everything we remember of him offensively combined with now being a liability defensively.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not even just his basic stat line, you should see his various analytics (the thing people cling to to argue he was a premiere defensive forward). He's not just a minus-3 on the season but his line is getting CAVED IN badly. He's basically been everything we remember of him offensively combined with now being a liability defensively.

Marino is one of the best defensemen in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese