GDT: GAME FIVE: Avs @ Caps -- Mr. Burakovsky goes to Washington

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It is amazing. MacKinnon isn't playing great and needs to make smarter plays. But he has 8 points in 5 games.

And the team can't really hold a lead and has needed an ENG in every game to pull off the win... but at 5-0 are we in a position to complain about much?

Isn't scoring empty net goals indicative of being able to hold onto leads or...?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
EJ is playing good hockey. Over 26 minutes today, essentially zero powerplay time, 23 even strength minutes. He and Girard are doing a really remarkable job filling the void of Barrie's minutes. Makar has gotten all of Barrie's powerplay time, but he's not filling his even strength minutes at all (yet). Not sure it's a great sign for Zadorov that with the return of Cole his minutes instantly plummeted again. Cole's first game back after freaking hip surgery and he got more time than Z, who was under 14 minutes on the afternoon. It's pretty clear who Bednar trusts more.
Both he and Makar essentially got benched the last 10 min of the 2nd. Would help if Z wasn't called for phantom penalties at least once a game just cause of his size.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Oh man, the Post-Game Thread on the caps board was a joy to behold. Here's a quick summary:

Man I'm so pumped to stop the Avs

Holtby is going to shine

Avs are overrated

Oh man Holtby should have had that one

Whoa, what the heck Holtby

HOLTBY!!

WTF!!!

PULL HIM!

f***ING PULL HIM!!!

I'M TURNING THIS SHIT OFF!

And then things ebbed and flowed a little after that.

Reactions: Murzu and wayninja

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Another game, another Avs win.

Kadri was great in this one, probably our best player. EJ was quite stout as well.

Rantanen seems to be driving play on the first line, but I thought MacKinnon looked a little sharper today.

Outside of the first two periods of game one, Grubauer has been excellent.

Makar didn’t get a lot of ice today and maybe that’s because he made a couple mistakes at even strength. I wish he had a more stable D partner. I like Z, but I don’t think he’s the kind of defenceman who is going to erase his D partners mistakes through great play in his own zone.

But, I can’t complain. We are 5-0! And you have to think this team is only going to get better as they start to develop chemistry and get Compher back in the fold.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Oh man, the Post-Game Thread on the caps board was a joy to behold. Here's a quick summary:

Man I'm so pumped to stop the Avs

Holtby is going to shine

Avs are overrated

Oh man Holtby should have had that one

Whoa, what the heck Holtby

HOLTBY!!

WTF!!!

PULL HIM!

****ING PULL HIM!!!

I'M TURNING THIS **** OFF!

And then things ebbed and flowed a little after that.

Oh.. they do the post game thread before the game like us?

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Just watched nhl channels "top shelf" segment on the games today, they had 2 highlights from our game... the TJ Oshie goal, and the Ove hit on Girard. WTF?

It's not like it matters in the grand scheme of things, but it's weird to see how little press this team gets even as good as it looks right now.

Reactions: avsfan09 and ljb4

R2daV

Apr 8, 2018
Anyone else watching Avs games this year with a whole new sense of confidence?
I’m not talking about looking at the calendar and counting automatic wins kind of arrogance but rather believing the team still has a good chance to win when down a goal or two.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
People thought Tom Wilson was super overpaid. He's so important for them, he brings something to the table that no one else can bring.
JIm Rutheford destroyed the Penguins overreacting to him.

Big reason I'm against trading Zadarov, No way in hell would I want to play against him.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Some thoughts about today's game

-Grubauer played well overall but those were 2 boneheaded poke check attempts that took him right out of the way in making a save on the first 2 goals.

-Kadri was excellent tonight. In fact I liked the whole 2nd line tonight.

-EJ is logging some heavy tough minutes so far. And he's doing really well at it. He's looking like the EJ of a couple years ago.

-Even though they got on the scoreboard quite a bit, I hated the top line tonight. Horrible defensively, silly plays in the neutral zone, bad turnovers. What was Landeskog doing on that offside goal that Washington scores. Trying to stickhandle thru 3 caps players instead of dumping it into the caps zone. Boneheaded plays. Plus they were chasing in the defensive zone.

-Zads-Makar with a bit of a up and down game. Some good things but also some dumb plays of trying to force things mainly from Makar.

-G is still a beauty.

-Thought Jost looked pretty decent again as the 3C. Maybe he's found his position. Needs a winger on his line who can take draws for him though. Maybe JTC when he comes back.

-Call me crazy but I actually like Burakovski. Great speed, great shot, and recently has been getting his nose a little dirtier too.

-I think Nuke will be out when JTC comes back. He's not playing bad but he's not quite as effective as he was the first couple games since he blocked that shot off his foot. Also I doubt Bednar would have liked the couple times where he was a little soft on his stick and got caught from behind from the caps player.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Bad teams lose games they are supposed to win, good teams win games they are supposed to win, great teams win games they are not supposed to. The Avs thus far are the last of those statements. It is not only that we have not lost yet but also the fact we have won games in a variety of ways. Not many teams score 4 unanswered against a team like the Bruins. This is a scary and young team going forward which should scare other teams.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
-I think Nuke will be out when JTC comes back. He's not playing bad but he's not quite as effective as he was the first couple games since he blocked that shot off his foot. Also I doubt Bednar would have liked the couple times where he was a little soft on his stick and got caught from behind from the caps player.

My love for him is quickly fading. The effort is there which I like but he has no hands and no shot which puts a very hard ceiling on his offensive capabilities. If he does turn into a bigger Gabe Bourque I could see Bednar trying Kamenev instead as the 13th forward and Nuke ultimately taking the Yakupov route.

Reactions: Avs71

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Jost went 0-14 on the draw tonight. Got a lucky moment and nobody can convince me that stays here past this season
No he wasn’t. He was 3-7 on the draw. Not actually that bad and he’s played well since being moved to 3C. If he stays there I think he will be successful

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
The guy has 6 wins and 20 losses so far in five games.

Tyson Jost stats - Colorado Avalanche - Puckbase

Brand me a Jost hater I don’t care. I don’t see the guy on the team by next year.
You are correct he has been bad on the dot overall but you said he was 0-14 tonight which is completely wrong. He was actually decent tonight going 3-7 like I said. You just moved the goalposts. Have your opinion but use real facts to back it up. 6-20 gets your point across just fine and it’s factual. I hope you are wrong in the long term but I guess we will see.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
You are correct he has been bad on the dot overall but you said he was 0-14 tonight which is completely wrong. He was actually decent tonight going 3-7 like I said. You just moved the goalposts. Have your opinion but use real facts to back it up. 6-20 gets your point across just fine and it’s factual. I hope you are wrong in the long term but I guess we will see.
Jost 0-14 in faceoff circle today, that was just embarrassing.

Anyone know why Zadorov was benched by Bednar in the 3rd? His leash with Z is so short.
I was going off this. I don’t know if it’s wrong or right. I trusted it.

Sorry roy :)

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What is the most you pay for a year of Taylor Hall? I frankly am not all that keen on getting him re-signed, as I am afraid he will fall apart in 3-4 years, but he could be a nice addition for this year's run.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
What is the most you pay for a year of Taylor Hall? I frankly am not all that keen on getting him re-signed, as I am afraid he will fall apart in 3-4 years, but he could be a nice addition for this year's run.
Jost + 2nd if he signs under $7 AAV

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad