Pre-Game Talk: Game Deuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I swear every time Bouchard plays, it's Koskinen in net.

The amount of times Mike Smith has saved Barrie or even Nurse's bottom this year is through the roof but nobody remembers because you tend to only remember the goals. Koskinen has let in some real stinkers when Bouchard is in the lineup. He's not mistake free, but we let Barrie get off scot-free for making just as many or more. Some would say "due to his offense" - well Bouchard's offense has been pretty great when he plays.

Last night, the Barrie whiff led to a 3on1 that Scheifele fired high. Nurse's ring-around the rink caused another 3v1 and a nice save by Smith. But we let it go. What about that Barrie pinch that led to an odd man break?

So you're saying Nurse is doing good this year because of Mike Smith? Nurse hasn't done anything good to warrant his season? He's just been pure bad and Mike Smith has done everything for him? I tend to only remember his goals.... I've seen his good play this season and if you haven't, then all you are looking for are the negatives. I won't bother answering the rest of this bizarre tweet. You usually just want to be negative so just do you man

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
The amount of times Mike Smith has saved Barrie or even Nurse's bottom this year is through the roof but nobody remembers because you tend to only remember the goals.
Bizarre take. Goaltenders make saves and bail out defensemen all the time, it's not something you selectively apply to individual players.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Rewatched the game with the benefit of slow mo and rewind. We had a better first than it showed. Lots of slightly missed executions like passes bouncing off sticks and missed shots cause we were blasting it while it was still rolling. I think it’s safe to say it was mostly playoff nerves in the 1st as we did start executing in the 2nd.

Team did not play as well as they were during the run to 100. We play to that level that we’ve shown we can play at and we’ll take these Jets out.

Lines changes seem a bit reactionary. Pulju is working with McDavid for awhile now.. why split them. DRY line had some good moments and Nuge centering his own line is a no go. BUT it’s become apparent that if Tipps doesn’t think his top guys are going he’ll put em together to get them going. Possibly that outweighs all the negatives of these line changes.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t get the McLeod is a black hole offensively stuff. He hasn’t exactly been playing with wingers that can put the puck in the net (Neal I guess, sort of, but he’s off and on now) and he had a better scoring chance than almost any other forward that wasn’t Puljujarvi. He’s not known for offense but he also got to play with the Condor’s best offensive guys and has played with mostly dead weight here. Give him some time and better wingers and he’ll start putting up points. He’ll be a 25 to 40 pt guy on the 3rd line depending on linemates

If he’s a top line guy he’ll have to play with top line guys before we know anything. Look at Jesse and trying him in a bottom 6 role for so long with sparse results.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
So you're saying Nurse is doing good this year because of Mike Smith? Nurse hasn't done anything good to warrant his season? He's just been pure bad and Mike Smith has done everything for him? I tend to only remember his goals.... I've seen his good play this season and if you haven't, then all you are looking for are the negatives. I won't bother answering the rest of this bizarre tweet. You usually just want to be negative so just do you man

Huh? This was a super bizarre response. I'm baffled.

1. Did you completely miss the point? The point was that Nurse and Barrie also make mistakes, but we keep them in the lineup and play them because we know their strengths and talents are top six among the D (and really, they are top 2!). Bouchard's talents are easily top 4 level on our blueline. I was saying we shouldn't be holding out Bouchard because "he makes mistakes". When we have a goalie playing well, it masks that other guys make mistakes too. My bold take is that Bouchard may be our most offensively talented player on the roster - I think he gives Barrie a run for his money.

2. A tweet? Huh? Sir, this is a Wendy's.

3. When did I say anything about Nurse having done nothing good? That's a massive leap man.

4. The bolded is why you tend to run into problems on the board. You are so positive about the team, which is great! But if someone criticizes anything, you often tell them they are always negative and their take is awful. To me, I get the fandom, but it's rather immature to not be able to see the team isn't perfect. Am I more critical than other posters? Absolutely! But also look at the history of the Oilers: Lot of the same repeated mistakes over and over. We all want the same thing, a cup. I just don't believe the team is there yet and I don't think Dave Tippett and Ken Holland are batting 100% at all times. I appreciate the positivity, not the attacks as much. We can always be better, otherwise we'd be 82-0

Last edited:

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Huh? This was a super bizarre response. I'm baffled.

1. Did you completely miss the point? The point was that Nurse and Barrie also make mistakes, but we keep them in the lineup and play them because we know their strengths and talents are top six among the D (and really, they are top 2!). Bouchard's talents are easily top 4 level on our blueline. I was saying we shouldn't be holding out Bouchard because "he makes mistakes". When we have a goalie playing well, it masks that other guys make mistakes too. My bold take is that Bouchard may be our most offensively talented player on the roster - I think he gives Barrie a run for his money.

2. A tweet? Huh? Sir, this is a Wendy's.

3. When did I say anything about Nurse having done nothing good? That's a massive leap man.

4. The bolded is why you tend to run into problems on the board. You are so positive about the team, which is great! But if someone criticizes anything, you often tell them they are always negative and their take is awful. To me, I get the fandom, but it's rather immature to not be able to see the team isn't perfect. Am I more critical than other posters? Absolutely! But also look at the history of the Oilers: Lot of the same repeated mistakes over and over. We all want the same thing, a cup. I just don't believe the team is there yet and I don't think Dave Tippett and Ken Holland are batting 100% at all times. I appreciate the positivity, not the attacks as much. We can always be better, otherwise we'd be 82-0
1) Don't ever post anything outside of the HIVE agenda without first wrapping it in at least two coats of sugar!
2) Don't have an original idea--its grounds here for extreme personal ridicule and perhaps if its a negative thought compared to others will get you expulsion.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
McLeod I haven't minded. He hasn't gotten the points, but he makes sure the puck moves in the right direction and his speed makes him consistently noticeable wherever the play is. Though I think he'd benefit from having Ennis or even Turris or Haas on his wing (or Benson...) vs. both Neal and Kassian/Chiasson.

I know Tippett is going for a grindy bottom 6 to try and complement the McDrai lines, but imo...

Ennis-McLeod-Neal
Kassian-Khaira-Archibald

... would be a far more balanced.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've heard a couple people who got Moderna say the same thing.

I got the Pfizer and my shoulder was sore the next day and I felt sick, and then 2 days after my shot I felt 100% again.

Yeah, it kind of sucks because it’s impacting my work as well, I’m just so drained right now and it’s been a week today since I got the Moderna vaccine. Not as productive as I usually am and the work is piling up for me right now, I’ll probably have to be at the office all weekend and on Monday just to catch up.

I’m usually a pretty high energy person as well.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I don’t get the McLeod is a black hole offensively stuff. He hasn’t exactly been playing with wingers that can put the puck in the net (Neal I guess, sort of, but he’s off and on now) and he had a better scoring chance than almost any other forward that wasn’t Puljujarvi. He’s not known for offense but he also got to play with the Condor’s best offensive guys and has played with mostly dead weight here. Give him some time and better wingers and he’ll start putting up points. He’ll be a 25 to 40 pt guy on the 3rd line depending on linemates
Agreed with this. People get impatient pretty quick. We are also used to failure...... Athanasiou, I thought would be perfect and he was a flop.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sit Kassian. He's done.

Sit KooKoo

Play Laggeson

Get Shore in

3rd line of Neal - Archibald and Khaira

embellish to create powerplays

Quick one touch passes

4K played great the other night IMO. He actually got some shots on net

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We may win or lose, but our players need to play this game like it means something. Because it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad