• Shesty

Votes: 54 79.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Statement win. Basically secured no worse than 3rd with these 2 wins.

Igor coming back into form is huge. He's aggressive again and that's a great thing.

Top 6 clicking almost on all cylinders, kids have some good cycling but haven't shown up on the scoresheet (except for Chytil - that pass to Kane was ridiculous)

Kane and Kreider together is lit.

This team is cookin.

Looking at the standings - Devils are 5 points up on us and struggling - we are firing and only getting better and better. Is 2nd in the division still up for grabs?

Panthers knocking on the doors of the penguins and islanders - one of these teams will be knocked out of the playoffs by Matthew Tkachuk. Just too bad the Sabres and Sens have imploded.
2nd?! First! We have two games with the Canes this week!

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Very few things are as satisfying as beating those spoiled bitches on national TV by 6-0

It's just soooooooooo tasty

Flightless bird... what a joke. If my dog EVER saw a penguin he would kill it instantly... the only thing that saves real birds is that they can actually fly.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I rarely complain about the team but I have no problem calling out the poor ESPN broadcast quality.

- The intro segment was all a garbled mess of broken audio sound effects. Then they cut to people who were speaking but there was no audio so they played background music instead. The first 6 minutes of the broadcast audio did not come through when I watched the replay through ESPN+ service (not sure what everyone saw live).

- How the hell did McDonough think that Schneider was guilty of boarding when he was the one who got boarded by Malkin?

- The arena audio was kept low through the first 4 goals only to have them change it for the 5th. Why did they wait so long to address this? Goals 1, 2, 3, and 4 didn't alert anyone to the issue/problem?

- PK Subban wearing a casual jacket that looks like he's dressed for a club or party, while having the other guys wearing suits did not mesh or look right.

- Pretty sure Emily Kaplan referred to Mika as 'Miko' during the interview with Tarasenko

- Someone referred to Pettersson as being with the Rangers during an intermission

- One of the announcers declared that Shesterkin shooting the puck into the stands was deflected/tipped - then they inform us that there's a delay of game penalty on the play

- During this broadcast and recent ones you hear times where the announcers talking about silly crap and non-hockey topics while the play is going on.

- A few games back the puck had dropped to start the 2nd period and ESPN was displaying something else on the screen and we missed the first 5 seconds of the period (unacceptable)

- The video-game style, digital name badges are awful - are they done inserting those during the PP?

It feels like amateur hour at ESPN, and like the hockey people ESPN contracts with are mailing it in and cruising through these gigs without taking it as seriously or as professionally as they should be.

You are not alone, if we were not winning 6-0 and making Ferraro cry would have muted it. He really pissed me off with the Kreider comment, made some shade in today’s GDT about it.

The biased towards Pittsburgh was unbearable and we were the home team.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
This game IMO is the blueprint for how they'll need to win in the playoffs.

At times, they were outchanced at even strength, but they kept pucks to the outside, cleaned up the trash in front of the net, and tied up sticks. Despite their efforts, they still gave up the middle of the ice at times because they aren't a great defensive team, but Igor was sensational last night and tracked the puck as well as he has at any point in his career, which completely shut the door. His positioning was outstanding all night, and if he plays like that, there's not a goalie in the league who can match him, not even Ullmark.

Offensively, they played fast, there was a lot of motion in the offensive zone, the D activated well for the most part (though there were a few questionable pinches at times up 6-0), and the forwards were both creative in playmaking and decisive in shooting when they got the puck in a scoring area. Tarasenko's 3-on-1 goal was a thing of beauty, as was Kreider's - and that was an extremely underrated deke by Kane to freeze Jarry by going forehand backhand then sending it to CK.

Were they perfect? Of course not. But they were more than good enough to win against most teams in the league playing like that, and if they can get the kid line going offensively, they're going to be very dangerous.

Reactions: FUZfan

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This game IMO is the blueprint for how they'll need to win in the playoffs.

At times, they were outchanced at even strength, but they kept pucks to the outside, cleaned up the trash in front of the net, and tied up sticks. Despite their efforts, they still gave up the middle of the ice at times because they aren't a great defensive team, but Igor was sensational last night and tracked the puck as well as he has at any point in his career, which completely shut the door. His positioning was outstanding all night, and if he plays like that, there's not a goalie in the league who can match him, not even Ullmark.

Offensively, they played fast, there was a lot of motion in the offensive zone, the D activated well for the most part (though there were a few questionable pinches at times up 6-0), and the forwards were both creative in playmaking and decisive in shooting when they got the puck in a scoring area. Tarasenko's 3-on-1 goal was a thing of beauty, as was Kreider's - and that was an extremely underrated deke by Kane to freeze Jarry by going forehand backhand then sending it to CK.

Were they perfect? Of course not. But they were more than good enough to win against most teams in the league playing like that, and if they can get the kid line going offensively, they're going to be very dangerous.

No game is really going to be perfect. They were able to bury their chances. Yeah it got a little dicey in the 3rd, but they were up 6-0. I actually applaud Gallant giving other players ice time like on the PP. We are playing today, so resting was important .

This was a game that was huge for not just our TDL acquisitions but for Shesty who should gain a lot of confidence.

I have concern with the bottom pairing, Lindgren returning can hopefully push someone down and we can roll 3 pairings.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I rarely complain about the team but I have no problem calling out the poor ESPN broadcast quality.

- The intro segment was all a garbled mess of broken audio sound effects. Then they cut to people who were speaking but there was no audio so they played background music instead. The first 6 minutes of the broadcast audio did not come through when I watched the replay through ESPN+ service (not sure what everyone saw live).

- How the hell did McDonough think that Schneider was guilty of boarding when he was the one who got boarded by Malkin?

- The arena audio was kept low through the first 4 goals only to have them change it for the 5th. Why did they wait so long to address this? Goals 1, 2, 3, and 4 didn't alert anyone to the issue/problem?

- PK Subban wearing a casual jacket that looks like he's dressed for a club or party, while having the other guys wearing suits did not mesh or look right.

- Pretty sure Emily Kaplan referred to Mika as 'Miko' during the interview with Tarasenko

- Someone referred to Pettersson as being with the Rangers during an intermission

- One of the announcers declared that Shesterkin shooting the puck into the stands was deflected/tipped - then they inform us that there's a delay of game penalty on the play

- During this broadcast and recent ones you hear times where the announcers talking about silly crap and non-hockey topics while the play is going on.

- A few games back the puck had dropped to start the 2nd period and ESPN was displaying something else on the screen and we missed the first 5 seconds of the period (unacceptable)

- The video-game style, digital name badges are awful - are they done inserting those during the PP?

It feels like amateur hour at ESPN, and like the hockey people ESPN contracts with are mailing it in and cruising through these gigs without taking it as seriously or as professionally as they should be.
Thank you. I complain about thes telecasts all the time, and now my wife can't even unsee it.

The crowd noise is ALWAYS too low, the commentary lacks reverb like they're sitting in a sound room, everybody commentating is always yelling (except Messier), and the analysis is atrocious. They consistently called the play wrong and misspoke all night as you noted.

Not to mention I watch the game in surround sound, and the rear channels never get crowd noise which takes away from the atmospheric effect. Only ice noise on the rear channels.

I'd gladly take the FoxTrax puck back again over the video game cicles and name graphics on the PP, I find it so annoying.

Horrible cuts/directing. Play is ongoing, and they switch to picture in picture of Mika sitting down on the bench.

Lack of attention to detail on some of the penalty calls.

The play by play on the Malkin boarding was ridiculous. I couldn't even believe how bad it was because as soon as Schneider went into the boards I was adamant it was a penalty, and then for them to say Schneider did the boarding? I don't even get how you come to that conclusion, visually.

Can't stand ESPN or ABC these days. Disney as a whole is amateur hour these days. Would love it if they sold ESPN and had executives who actually gave a damn about sports doing things again, because it's clear the people leading the show have no clue.

No game is really going to be perfect. They were able to bury their chances. Yeah it got a little dicey in the 3rd, but they were up 6-0. I actually applaud Gallant giving other players ice time like on the PP. We are playing today, so resting was important .

This was a game that was huge for not just our TDL acquisitions but for Shesty who should gain a lot of confidence.

I have concern with the bottom pairing, Lindgren returning can hopefully push someone down and we can roll 3 pairings.
Yup would agree with all of this. Of course, no game is perfect, but I've always felt it's important to take away some things to work on too, so that bad habits don't creep into play - so if the tone of my post didn't capture that, yes, last night was an outstanding statement win, and - hard to believe - but I think this team could be even better. This is the deepest, most talented team I remember them having in 35 years of watching hockey based on the personnel they have relative to the rest of the league.

Would've liked to see the kids bury one on the PP, and after Goodrow's first penalty would've loved to see them throw Mikkola on the second unit in front of the net to try and bury one...but other than that I have no complaints with how GG deployed players and that's coming from someone who's usually one of his bigger detractors.

If he leaves these lines alone, I'll take back everything I've said about him because the team finally has 4 lines that work.

Other than one bad pinch by Miller, Miller and Trouba were almost perfect last night. And Miller was as involved in the offense as he's been since coming back which was great to see.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I let it die for me with these final words.
If you seen all the games since Buffalo then you know Gallants been rolling four lines. So all the attack narratives about resting his best players for tomorrow’s game are wrong. Vesey was a minute over TOI what he has been getting and Motte and Goodrow were both under (Goodrow in the box for 4 minutes).
The complaint was not on the team, it is on Gallant’s coaching not to run up the score. If the 4th line is on the PP, then there restring during when their regular shift would have been. Gallant should let his players run up the score. He should want to demoralize Pittsburgh. Get in their heads. Let it get in his players heads. Gallant holding his team back only increases the chance of his players being injured or forming bad habits. Just look at Tampa over the past three years. They want to beat there opponents in every aspect of the game. It’s called a killer instinct. No quarter asked, none given. No merry. In the end the fans both in the seats and in front of the screens pay for it all and in turn deserve to have it all when it is available.
Camomile tea with valerian root. There are a few folks who need it daily.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
It's just soooooooooo tasty

Flightless bird... what a joke. If my dog EVER saw a penguin he would kill it instantly... the only thing that saves real birds is that they can actually fly.
Gonna be honest here, that was a bit unhinged

Reactions: Riche16

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Do us all the favor.
1679236105076.gif

• Haha
Reactions: duhmetreE

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Went and watched our home town soccer team yesterday.

I was pretty much drunk 12 hours in before puck drop, I passed out at 1 AM.

Missed a great game it seems. That save from Shesty was just ridiculous. Can't wait for tonight.
Me too. Painting and getting drunk all day leading up to game. Didn't pass out as I was too busy yelling goooal, goooal, goooal, hey,hey,hey,hey,hey!

Reactions: Taluss

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Igor is one of the most conventional goalies I've watched play the game in terms of making saves based on form, positioning, and angles so watching him randomly pull a Hasek yesterday was an odd one. Was like Keith Kinkaid stacking the pads 2 years ago.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Actually think it was more of GG showing great appreciation to the 4th line for the great work they've been doing. Not sure if it was for "resting" though.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
With this game, the Rangers have sent a message to the rest of the league...

I think the coaching staff has figured out the line combinations...lucky it didn't take that long...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It took me over a month to not be “depressed” (using that loosely) after I moved 25 mins West last summer after living in my place for the past 6 years. Couldn’t imagine what these guys go through emotionally.

One of my clients is friends with a former Ranger who has been bouncing around NHL and AHL teams the past few years and it sounds like he’s miserable constantly moving and not knowing where he’s going to be each week.
Kane wanted to come here but he played 16 seasons with 1 team. He always needed some time to get used to a new city, team, and teammates. People think this is a video game and forget these guys are human beings. I was honestly shocked, even for this board, with how much bitching and moaning there was about him after just 1 or 2 games.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Horrible cuts/directing. Play is ongoing, and they switch to picture in picture of Mika sitting down on the bench.

Yep.

Three ESPN broadcasts ago they were interviewing one of the coaches while the play was going on and they made the interview the main screen/display, while showing the active game in the smaller picture-in-picture display - then a goal gets scored ruining both the interview and our normal viewing of the game.

I noticed last night and in some other broadcasts the abrupt and awkward transitions to commercials without the announcers saying anything to indicate they're going to commercials or without the any production music (think NBC) that indicates a commercial break is about to happen. It's like the normal broadcast is going on one second then it just fades straight into commercials the next.

Remember last year when ESPN would insist on showing us those wide angle, zoomed out camera views from the corners of the arena during power plays and which totally made the view worse and less enjoyable?

It's like all of the people ESPN uses for the behind the scenes production are individuals who have no interest in hockey and no history of being a fan of the game and viewing it on TV. That's the only way I can explain all the bad ideas that have been implemented which lower the production value, only to then be done away with.

Makes me appreciate the polished MSG broadcast/production that much more.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad