Post-Game Talk: GAME 9 - THROW THE CAT OFF THE CLIFF!!!! - BRUINS 3 Sunrise 2 F/OT

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Maybe he was pissed at the trip by ORL on Pasta earlier in the game. He tripped pasta from behind using his legs. That was dangerous could of caused inhyr
Second period in front of the Florida net. He sent Pasta down very hard. If you watch it back, Pasta drops the F bomb on return to the bench. Can’t tell if it was because of how hard he went down or the missed scoring opportunity, or both.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Avery is a Leafs fan who has a history of hating on Jake DeBrusk going back to the series where Kadri headshot Jake and got suspended. Avery said the only thing wrong with Kadri's hit was that he didn't take out a row of Jake's teeth in the process.

So yeah, garbage in, garbage out.

Avery is a douche. Can't trust a " source " like him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No one ever tipped there hat to Macs hockey IQ. Skilled , physical , yes......just not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I don't know what you're on about here, but thinking McAvoy has a low hockey IQ is crazy. He's an incredibly smart player, bad hit notwithstanding.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Maybe he was pissed at the trip by ORL on Pasta earlier in the game. He tripped pasta from behind using his legs. That was dangerous could of caused inhyr
I do remember saying that a trip at the time "looked like a slewfoot" and went unpenalized or only drew a 2 minute penalty?

Must not have been written in 2019, or Craig Berube would have been at the top. Yes, I'm still bitter.
No it was within the last 60 days.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't know what you're on about here, but thinking McAvoy has a low hockey IQ is crazy. He's an incredibly smart player, bad hit notwithstanding.

I think low hockey IQ is closer than incredibly smart in describing McAvoy.

Its his 7th NHL season but there hasn't been the kind of growth as a player one would expect, especially for a defenseman. Seems to play instictively rather than tactically. Of course, he's still only 25. And he was very good right out of the gate. Still takes way too many chance, would probably be a superstar in 1980's NHL. Don't mind him rushing the puck because he's great at it. But he seems to keep going after releasing the puck and then lingers in the offensive zone too much.

Drew Doughty and Duncan Keith were 26 when they won Norris trophies. Hedman was 27. None of them were the top scoring defensemen when they won it. They seem like good examples of what Charlie could still become. He can skate like Keith, hit like Doughty and defend like Hedman. Just needs to be a little smarter.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think low hockey IQ is closer than incredibly smart in describing McAvoy.

Its his 7th NHL season but there hasn't been the kind of growth as a player one would expect, especially for a defenseman. Seems to play instictively rather than tactically. Of course, he's still only 25. And he was very good right out of the gate. Still takes way too many chance, would probably be a superstar in 1980's NHL. Don't mind him rushing the puck because he's great at it. But he seems to keep going after releasing the puck and then lingers in the offensive zone too much.

Drew Doughty and Duncan Keith were 26 when they won Norris trophies. Hedman was 27. None of them were the top scoring defensemen when they won it. They seem like good examples of what Charlie could still become. He can skate like Keith, hit like Doughty and defend like Hedman. Just needs to be a little smarter.
Watch this and tell me he’s not a smart player. As for not seeing growth from him I can’t imagine seeing his game that way so I won’t debate it.

Reactions: lopey

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
Florida looked really good, especially in the first period. It reminded me of the playoffs; they’re powerful and creative. Probably special teams will be their Achilles heel, but they’re going to be a problem for any team in the playoffs.

Four games sucks, but guys have a responsibility to keep others safe. Just don’t make that hit.

Three on three just won’t be as good as last year, but hopefully we figure something out.

Great job grinding out a win. The DeBrusk assist was electric. He’s made many great passes this year and I hope they start falling. It’s hard to complain about anyone’s production… this is just a defense first team. Just keep getting to three somehow…

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Yup, did you read it? I've looked for it in The Athletic and haven't located it yet. It may have been online somewhere else though. I'll keep looking.
No, I tried to read an article from the Athletic a couple weeks ago
but since I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, it didn't allow me to read it.

..but I'm not surprised those two made the list, because they're always whining about something.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

It was in a sea of 19,000 fans draped in black-and-gold sweaters where Hannah Carpenter and her mother, Shannon McCarthy, often felt the closest.

Amid a cacophony of cheers, goal-horn salvos, and the familiar soundtrack of “Kernkraft 400,” an unbreakable bond was forged — with treks to TD Garden added to the duo’s docket during birthdays, holidays, and after a stellar showing on Carpenter’s report card.

“I fell in love the first moment I stepped into TD Garden,” Carpenter said. “It was the most insane thing ever. And after that first game, I was like, ‘This is what we’re going to do together. We’re surrounded by people all the time. But when we’re in the Garden together, it’s me and you.’”

On Monday — seven months after McCarthy passed away after a hard-fought battle with pancreatic cancer — Carpenter returned to Causeway Street for Hockey Fights Cancer Night, clad in her mother’s Bruins sweater and displaying a custom sign in memory of the person who first sparked her love for hockey.

Her heart was heavy, but Carpenter believed there was no better place to be on Monday — nor a more fitting way to honor her mother — than standing up against the glass in the Bruins’ home barn.

Her favorite Bruins player, Charlie Coyle, agreed.

“I know her pretty well,” Coyle said of Carpenter. “And I know she’s had a tough stretch with a few different things and with her mom passing. I talked to her a little while ago and I knew she said she was going to try to get to that game. She knew it was going to be a big one and her mom would want her there. And of course when she talked to me about it, I encouraged her.”

So when Coyle spotted Carpenter up along the glass during warmups, the stars seemed to align.

Tapping the glass where her sign rested, Coyle tossed a puck over the barrier. Carpenter snagged it out of the air. She fist-bumped the glass in appreciation and then began to cry in a moment that has since gone viral after it was captured by NESN cameras.

It was a fitting moment on a night that has meant so much to a mother-daughter duo united by their love for the Bruins.

“This is what my mom lived for — this game, this team and city and she knew how much Coyle meant to me. And it was just all of this emotion coming at once,” Carpenter said. “I didn’t expect it to get caught on camera. I was like, ‘This is crazy.’

“But it was just one of those things where everything came together at once. It was the emotion of missing my mom, but being really excited to honor her in a way that I think she really would have appreciated. It was just so special.”

Coyle’s on-ice meeting with Carpenter might have only lasted a few seconds. But those fleeting interactions with fans resonate deeply with the Weymouth native, who remembers taking in the sights and sounds of warmups from the other side of the glass at the Garden while growing up.

“It means a lot that they’re there. And they get to share that experience and knowing her mom would love to be there and I know her mom was happy that she was there. We’re all fans of the game, we all love hockey and she shares that bond,” Coyle said. “She shared that with her mom, being a Bruins fan and going to games. That’s just how you’re brought up, really. You just try to pass that on and be a good person and it just makes its way around.”

• Love
Reactions: hrdpuk and jgatie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad