PGT: Game 9: Czech Republic 1 - Russia 2

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, some AHL teams are doing the 5 forward Powerplay.. this might not be a bad idea to consider.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Russia looked awesome in the third and really took over.
Dostal saved us a lot with brilliant saves.
I've enjoyed Kvasnica but don't know what he was doing at the end dumping in corner.
Zadina is an amazing street hockey goalie!
I love how we played. I watch this tournament every year and the big 5 blow us out a lot! We belonged in this match.
Hopefully Varada rethinks how we setup... he needs to get Lauko, Kondlik and Pekar in the Top 6. Also, bring in Jenik and Salda. He has options and needs to use them.
Correction, the big 2 blows us out a lot (Canada and USA.) I don't recall a big loss against the European teams.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Weird game. Czechs were better defensively and worse offensively than I expected. And I still have no idea what to expect from Russia in this tournament.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Good level of hockey, congrats to Russia. Our team had its moments, but two shorthanded goals allowed, that is just a disaster. Besides that, the game didn't look bad. It's a pity than during some final 10 minutes, the guys seemed to have a little bit heavier legs than the Russians and were not really able to push in the offensive zone.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
That defeat is painful and frustrating.. coaching staff managed to kill our only perk by separating 19, 18 , 16.. They should've known since the Switzerland game but yet again, they played 19 on 2nd line for more than 2/3 of the game. If that isn't a dumb move, I don't know what is? Also Pekar on the 4th line when Machala is playing 2nd line? Someone, please explain this logic to me...

I think today it became apparent that our defense simply isn't capable of playing on that level. Too many unforced turnovers, bad puck decisions and above all no support for our offense. Our zone transition sucks b****. The only one who can somehow carry the puck into the offensive zone is Galvas, thats it.

The only bright spot besides the promising future of 19,18,16 is Dostal. Dostal has been very good the last two games. He has a lot of potential and emanates calmness - I like that very much!

EDIT: Congrats to Russia, solid team performance!

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Bright side... we've now played Russia and the Swiss and allowed 3 goals against. I agree our D is terrible but that is tremendous. Our offence is not clicking... needs a reshuffle.

Canada game will be interesting...

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Bright side... we've now played Russia and the Swiss and allowed 3 goals against. I agree our D is terrible but that is tremendous. Our offence is not clicking... needs a reshuffle.

That is all on Dostal though. It's great we finally have a goalie who is capable of making good saves, but it can hide the awfulness of our D only so much.

Reactions: Czechboy

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I’m confused why Alexeyev is on the third pair. He has been one of the best d-men in the WHL this year, yet the Russian coaching staff has given him low minutes the first two games.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Pitty, Czechs didn't score, such a coward Russian play had to be punished. Bragin wouldn't have had any chance to coach any Soviet team, because Soviet teams were all about attack, and this team is 100% **** in attack, despite we have some really nice forwards.
You know why Bragin is the coach and not you? Because he knows how to win tournaments and he knows how to guide a team through one.

Reactions: vorky and snipes

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You know why Bragin is the coach and not you? Because he knows how to win tournaments and he knows how to guide a team through one.

Early 00s Russians were winning with a powerful potent offensive attack . It's just a different way of coaching to win, Bragin has his own way. Many Russians it seems do not like the defensive style just as Brazilians do not like when there team plays passive defensive football. It just goes away from the creativity and attacking style that they have always been renowned for years dating back to the Soviet days. Not that they cannot still win this way it's just not " Russian hockey ".

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m confused why Alexeyev is on the third pair. He has been one of the best d-men in the WHL this year, yet the Russian coaching staff has given him low minutes the first two games.
He played 10 minutes in the third period and nearly 24 minutes overall. How they write the lineup isn't how the players are used.

Great game overall, exciting tight hockey start to finish. Love the game Kovalenko had. Put him back with Kravtsov and Denisenko like they were all camp.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He played 10 minutes in the third period and nearly 24 minutes overall. How they write the lineup isn't how the players are used.

Great game overall, exciting tight hockey start to finish. Love the game Kovalenko had. Put him back with Kravtsov and Denisenko like they were all camp.

They should add Khovanov and place him on the line with Kravtsov and Denisenko. Kravtsov is a winger, not a center.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Oh, great, when did Bragin win anything last time? Or are you like Tretiak, to whom any medal is a victory? Has you forgotten the last WJC, btw?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So Dostal is basicly the John Gibson of his team, guy who keeps his team above water cause they can't generate anything offensively & give up SH chances. Dostal will be fully prepared when he's in the NHL backing up John Gibson & watching his forwards cough up the puck.

Reactions: Wooren

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
They should add Khovanov and place him on line with Kravtsov and Denisenko. Kravtsov is a winger, not a center.

Bragin should rip the "C" off of Kostin's shoulder and give it to Romanov. Then the Kostin-Kravtsov-Denisenko line should be demoted to the 4th checking line. Kostin is passive and lazy, and his presence has no value. Some people were upset before the tournament when I suggested that Kostin could not be trusted to show up. I wonder what they think after having watched him play. Except for the 1st goal against the Danes, Kravtsov has been virtually invisible. Someone should notify Denisenko that it is not against the rules to pass the puck to a teammate. In the first two games, Denisenko had not attempted a pass to a teammate. Some guys played really well, particularly Romanov and Kovalenko, and in the end, they survived a tough game

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Correction, the big 2 blows us out a lot (Canada and USA.) I don't recall a big loss against the European teams.

That legendary 10-1 against Sweden....but you're right, it's usually against USA or Canada.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
That is all on Dostal though. It's great we finally have a goalie who is capable of making good saves, but it can hide the awfulness of our D only so much.

Best czech goalie we've had since Mrazek imo. I like him more though, as he looks more focused, calm and relaxed.

Reactions: Wooren

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010

Plus:

Dostal
Number of goals conceded
The Zadina-Necas-Kaut line works (no surprises there)
PK

Minuses

PP (no surprise, but unbelievably tragic, worst that I remember)
Lines
Scoring goals

If we sort out those lines and the power play, we'll be much better. I'm totally on board with Pekar and Lauko being moved to the top 6 and Machala and Hrabik moved down. Bring in Salda and Jenik. Also maybe Cajka? I read some good things about him. Kondelik is big but slow, I wish he was faster. I liked Kvasnicka, he gets shots through-more PP time please.

Please stop frustrating Zadina, coach. Let him play on the top line. That block he made kept us in the game and showed us that he's a team player with good character:nod:

I don't think we'll beat Canada (we've managed it what, 2× in 20+ years?) but this team has much more to show.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
That legendary 10-1 against Sweden....but you're right, it's usually against USA or Canada.
That 10-1 demolition happened 8 or 9 years ago though. Since the more solid age groups (96,97...) we have been able to somewhat keep up with top European teams. NA is different story unfortunately, and I expect another blowout loss against Canada.
Best czech goalie we've had since Mrazek imo. I like him more though, as he looks more focused, calm and relaxed.
Wasn't around for Mrazek (watching WJC since 2015), but he is far better than anything we have had in the last years. As much as Varada and co. botched the lines, this is the one thing I will give him credit for. Starting Dostal was a very pleasant surprise, I expected them to go with Skarek and Patera as the backup.

Reactions: Swipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad