Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Canadiens beat Canucks /s

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Its pretty much what you see is what you get with Edmundson, i dont know what you’re worried about. He was a no 4-5 Dman in every team that he’s played in.He’s 27 so if something he should be in the prime of his career.

Again, it's 9 games, in a season where we play 6 teams, where we are currently scoring 4.33 goals per game making a lot of mistakes and defensive lapses go unnoticed. If it weren't for the shutout we'd be closer to 5 goals per game too.
We likely aren't scoring this much if we were playing a normal schedule.
This season is very unique. Everything is different.

Reactions: Parksade

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Again, it's 9 games, in a season where we play 6 teams, where we are currently scoring 4.33 goals per game making a lot of mistakes and defensive lapses go unnoticed. If it weren't for the shutout we'd be closer to 5 goals per game too.
We likely aren't scoring this much if we were playing a normal schedule.
This season is very unique. Everything is different.
Apart from the first game against Toronto where he kinda looked lost on the ice, he's been pretty solid... What are your issues with him?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Apart from the first game against Toronto where he kinda looked lost on the ice, he's been pretty solid... What are your issues with him?
I don't have issues with anyone really, simply stating that I'm not going to make definitive statements on anyone after 9 games in a 7 team season.
How's it going to look when the Habs don't score 4-5 goals? Or if when we play versus better teams?
TOR-CGY-WIN are the toughest competition in our division, we are currently 1-1-1 against them.
We've destroyed Edmonton and Vancouver, should be similar versus Ottawa. Maybe those are padding our stats.
So I'm simply being cautiously optimistic and saying I rather wait until we're more proven before going around claiming victory on everything.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't have issues with anyone really, simply stating that I'm not going to make definitive statements on anyone after 9 games in a 7 team season.
How's it going to look when the Habs don't score 4-5 goals? Or if when we play versus better teams?
TOR-CGY-WIN are the toughest competition in our division, we are currently 1-1-1 against them.
We've destroyed Edmonton and Vancouver, should be similar versus Ottawa. Maybe those are padding our stats.
So I'm simply being cautiously optimistic and saying I rather wait until we're more proven before going around claiming victory on everything.

Edmonton and Vancouver can't defend but they have serious offensive power...

You could make a case that they are part of offensive powers in the entire league...

Canucks were 10th last year and Oilers 11th in goals for scored.

Oilers with the best PP in the league and Canucks 4th...

I understand the idea to be cautiously optimistic but I feel like it's starting to go the other way...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Weird that Anderson doesn't get a look on either PP unit. Big man like him with good hands would be a weapon parked right in front of the goalie. Just a thought.
Thinking the same thing.....there are a lot of options. He should get a look soon...Perry or Tatar could come off for Anderson.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Would anyone actually care if we traded Mete?

The guy is so unimpressive. What would he get in a trade? A third round pick? Maybe. He is not a top 6 guy on this Habs team.

He would be useful on a slower team/defence. He’s good at breakouts...but our breakouts / speed / offense look good without him so there’s no good reason to ride out his below average defensive skills.

With an aging defence I still keep him for the future. He’s got more value to us as an insurance policy then whatever shit return he could fetch.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Man, Petry is something else! I've been a fan since day-one, but he's been steadily improving as he gets older. His poise with the puck, strength, shot, and smarts resemble Larry Robinson. And yes, I watched Robinson in his prime. Obviously, Petry isn't as imposing or dominant as Robinson, but the way he skates with the puck reminds me of him.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Man, Petry is something else! I've been a fan since day-one, but he's been steadily improving as he gets older. His poise with the puck, strength, shot, and smarts resemble Larry Robinson. And yes, I watched Robinson in his prime. Obviously, Petry isn't as imposing or dominant as Robinson, but the way he skates with the puck reminds me of him.

Totally agree, and I watched Robinson in his prime as well and think your bang on. Didn't have the guts to post it lol. I know we're only 10 games in, but Petry is playing Norris calibre right now, his skating is so smooth. Hard to believe he is getting better every game.

Must be the beard.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It's 5.5 dude, holy shit relax,I feel like it's October again and people were freaking out about it

Byron is only 3.4M$ and people aren’t thrilled about it... the only issue he how he performs vs. that 5.5M$, physical player or player that rely on speed will usually decline earlier. Is contract might be worth it because of those prime years but there is a risk... Who many 7 +years deal have even workout?

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
Totally agree, and I watched Robinson in his prime as well and think your bang on. Didn't have the guts to post it lol. I know we're only 10 games in, but Petry is playing Norris calibre right now, his skating is so smooth. Hard to believe he is getting better every game.

Must be the beard.

he's like the computer HAL in 2001 A Space Odyssey ... constantly learning

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Weird that Anderson doesn't get a look on either PP unit. Big man like him with good hands would be a weapon parked right in front of the goalie. Just a thought.

Thinking the same thing.....there are a lot of options. He should get a look soon...Perry or Tatar could come off for Anderson.

I believe Perry replaced him. He'll likely return to the PP when Armia is back.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
The most exciting game of the year for me was the shutout loss to Calgary.

I like tight games and not being sure that we are gonna win. I like to see the players fight for it. In my ideal scenario, they would have ultimately found a way to win though.

These blowouts are fun and great for the players, but the games are not really exciting once the score is too high.

I find that the defensive game is not right qnd i wish they would play better defensively.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
:soap:

- early season award predictions are usually a tad ridiculous, but man, Petry is really making an early case for the Norris.
- not hearing the early Danault for the Selke talk this season.
- speaking of ... something's up with PD. He's better than this. Maybe he's worried about his role with the team. maybe he regrets not taking the contract.
- Mete looked like he was trying too hard. He was all over the place. Tough to evaluate him since Romanov had a bad game. I'd like to see these 2 split up, with Big Ed on the 3rd pairing. Just to try.
- Suzuki a) - anyone see him take a run at Boeser? It was right after Boeser slew-footed him. I like how he responded.
- Suzuki b) - that lob pass! Dude plays the game in 3D. ... not everything is along the flat surface.
- Suzuki c) - for those who look at secondary assists ... NS has none. All goals and primary assists.
- looking for a big game from the Danault line tonight. the 4th line tired out their D. I think it's time for Danault's line to step up.

Reactions: azcanuck

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I’m sure once the habs don’t light it up these will be criticism without your disclaimers.

Reactions: Redux91

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I just don’t see him being able to keep it up for 7years, if he slow down or breakdown because the physically, he won’t be has effective and also there are very little long term deal that have work out. Maybe is peak year will make the deal worth it but regardless those last years especially in the cap era will like likely be a issue.

Fair enough. He lays the body a little less than I thought and he’s not going to fight often so I think the chances are he’ll age fairly well. At least until his early 30s.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
why would you take Perry off the PP. He's a beast in front of the net, super smart and great hands. He's what's been missing in the perimeter.

Parksade

Jan 23, 2021
Calgary
The more I see of Corey Perry, the more I like what he brings to the team. I'm not expecting the Perry of 10 years ago, but his penchant for being an a$$ and thorn in another team's side is nice for this team. In addition, I love that he still has some skill to keep teams honest. That he was a scratch until Armia got hurt speaks volumes on our depth this season.

What else can I say about Suzuki? He gets better every game and I really like the style. He's such a smart player and I'm glad Bergevin didn't trade him. Petry is off to a really nice start and there's a lot to be happy about as a Habs fan. I will happily take that

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
They could at least make the game interesting. Only tuned in when it was 5 - 1. Moved on to something else. Good game Habs. Firing on all cylinders so it seems. Six shorthanded goals already. Pretty amazing but teams will start to respect that PK more and more. So happy for Kotka and his start.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
the games right now doesnt look like hockey we've seen before. Without the fans you see teams literally give up like the Canucks did last night.

Worst players on the ice for us were Danualt and Tatar. Did virtually nothing. Danualt looks like he's pressing badly.

Perry is my new favorite player. Last nights drag pull and setting up Petry was SICK. Since game one he's brought smarts, net front presence and production. Some clowns actually think he should sit when Armia is ready again.

Mete looked like a guy who was given one game to prove himself. He has very little offensive gifts outside of his skating. He's a decent 6-7 D that's it.

Suzuki is the best forward on the team right now. He needs more ice time at the expense of Danualt.

Price probably hasnt seen a game like this in a long time. Very little in terms of scoring chances for the canucks.

Last night I thought Gallagher could easily lose Danult/Tatar and really thrive.

Romanov looks too out of control at times. He needs to be reminded to keep it simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad