GDT: Game 9 | Boston @ Columbus | 7 PM EST | Welcome home Foligno!

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
This team's about where I thought they'd be standings-wise so I'm not too upset about the results. But somehow I didn't think they'd look this poor in doing it. Seemed likely we'd have entertaining hockey on the offensive side and the defense would be the weak point.

But holy cow, they just look bad from top to bottom. There's no chemistry, system, cohesion, strategy, alignment, etc. If you didn't know better, in any given game you'd say none of these players have ever played together before. It's disturbingly reminiscent of years in the way back when the team just looked like irredeemable trash from game 1 thru 82.

It's entirely possible we roll into MON on Nov 17 at something like 4-11.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
This team's about where I thought they'd be standings-wise so I'm not too upset about the results. But somehow I didn't think they'd look this poor in doing it. Seemed likely we'd have entertaining hockey on the offensive side and the defense would be the weak point.

But holy cow, they just look bad from top to bottom. There's no chemistry, system, cohesion, strategy, alignment, etc. If you didn't know better, in any given game you'd say none of these players have ever played together before. It's disturbingly reminiscent of years in the way back when the team just looked like irredeemable trash from game 1 thru 82.

It's entirely possible we roll into MON on Nov 17 at something like 4-11.
This screams coaching to me... but just my opinion..

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
My biggest problem with what Elvis said, is that he isn't listening to anyone, he knows what he has to do. This talk of letting Legace go is dumb. After all, Tarasov seems to be doing well being coached by him, and Kivleniecks turned his career around being coached by him. Maybe the guy that isn't listening is the guy with the problem. Also with the age thing, people think he is young because of the little amount of time he has been here. Most of his career with the Jackets was spent overseas, so people forget he is older.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I feel like if that was true they would have moved those contracts out instead of bjork

My biggest problem with what Elvis said, is that he isn't listening to anyone, he knows what he has to do. This talk of letting Legace go is dumb. After all, Tarasov seems to be doing well being coached by him, and Kivleniecks turned his career around being coached by him. Maybe the guy that isn't listening is the guy with the problem. Also with the age thing, people think he is young because of the little amount of time he has been here. Most of his career with the Jackets was spent overseas, so people forget he is older.
Tarasov hasn’t been ruined yet , you mean . Korpi turned into one of the worst goalies in the league , and Elvis is headed that way , but sure .. coaching is great .. Elvis technically has turned into a mess .

Reactions: Columbus Jack

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I hope Larsen is on a short leash. He refuses to make adjustments. I'm betting if we lose enough in the next 10 games, he'll be gone. There's no plan or system and it's down right awful to watch.

There's also serious questionable decisions like Werenski still running PP#1, Marchenko in the AHL while Olivier plays and of course playing Elvis who is straight up not an NHL goalie at this point.

Ownership isn't spending to the cap to watch this team come DFL in the Metro. The roster is competitive enough to be better than this.

Tarasov hasn’t been ruined yet , you mean . Korpi turned into one of the worst goalies in the league , and Elvis is headed that way , but sure .. coaching is great .. Elvis technically has turned into a mess .
It's hilarious that we can't criticize Legace even though Elvis has only regressed. If you were on the PGA Tour and got a new coach and suddenly started to miss every cut, wouldn't you question your coach? Elvis is lost.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I hope Larsen is on a short leash. He refuses to make adjustments. I'm betting if we lose enough in the next 10 games, he'll be gone. There's no plan or system and it's down right awful to watch.

There's also serious questionable decisions like Werenski still running PP#1, Marchenko in the AHL while Olivier plays and of course playing Elvis who is straight up not an NHL goalie at this point.

Ownership isn't spending to the cap to watch this team come DFL in the Metro. The roster is competitive enough to be better than this.

It's hilarious that we can't criticize Legace even though Elvis has only regressed. If you were on the PGA Tour and got a new coach and suddenly started to miss every cut, wouldn't you question your coach? Elvis is lost.
Now do Korpi..

• Haha
Reactions: Columbus Jack

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- Korpi himself said he had problems with injuries.
- Tarasov didn't play 9 month, also he's a young boy so he doesn't have experiences like Korpi which help him in this case.

- Lars isn't experienced yet.
- Tell mi where Marchenko would play? Gaudreau, Laine, Voracek, Nyquist are untouchable (+waiver) Johnson plays very good. I don't see any reason so that Chinakhov would be HS. The 4th line isn't for him. Beside don't forget Bemstrom, only one year older Marchenko.
- I don't like he hasn't tried (again, only try) Johnson to play center in the regular season. Especially if we have problems with centers. In fact, three wingers play on the first line. I don't consider Roslovic a center right now.
- Werenski has a big contract. Nobody would move him to the 2nd PP Unit.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So now Elvis seems "overly" arrogant to you because he was defending himself while saying he believes in his teammates and you are now judging him and his personality based on tattoos? Geez.

This isn't all on Elvis no matter that he has been completely terrible. The team scored zero goals last night and they give up way too many odd man rushes, break aways and high danger scoring opportunities. Dominic Hasek couldn't bail this defense out.
I remember seeing an arena stat at the Coyotes game after 2 periods listing scoring chances and high danger scoring chances. I don't recall the CBJ stat but the Coyotes were listed as having 8 scoring chances and 8 high danger scoring chances. I have no reason to believe it was a typo given the way that game went. its easy to put all the blame on the goaltender because he hasn't been 100% sharp but the team in front of whoever is in goal is a flaming dumpster fire. It would require a goalie just flat out standing on their head night in and night out to just look like an average team.

Reactions: Byrral

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Korpi was still a .900 goalie until the last 4 or 5 games dumped him below .900 for the year in Torts' last season. He still had a lot of solid games that year. Last year was a mess, and he ended up with hip surgery. If his hip was bad enough for surgery, then I would have to think it was affecting him more than Legace. Elvis technically hasn't been that good since he has been here, his inconsistancy bears that out. Him saying he doesn't listen to anyone tells me he thinks he knows best and won't listen to Legace or whoever else they bring in. So no, I don't think Legace is the problem with the goaltenders.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Him saying he doesn't listen to anyone tells me he thinks he knows best and won't listen to Legace or whoever else they bring in. So no, I don't think Legace is the problem with the goaltenders.

That was just an offhand comment in a stressful postgame interview. Elvis obviously listens closely to Manny and they've covered that before in interviews.

Reactions: LJ7

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That was just an offhand comment in a stressful postgame interview. Elvis obviously listens closely to Manny and they've covered that before in interviews.
Maybe. But as out of control he has been playing this year, it's hard to believe that this is how Legace is coaching him how to play.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe. But as out of control he has been playing this year, it's hard to believe that this is how Legace is coaching him how to play.

Sometimes goalies lose form and it's because of what is between their own ears and nothing to do with their goalie coach. Or sometimes you have to change coaches to get a fresh voice. In any case, no one here is qualified to speak on Legace's job performance, I don't know why we talk about that sort of thing.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If all the goalies were playing like Elvis, than yeah, I could see bringing in a fresh voice. Not just for one guy. Sorry, I meant to reply to your post @majormajor

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
- Korpi himself said he had problems with injuries.
- Tarasov didn't play 9 month, also he's a young boy so he doesn't have experiences like Korpi which help him in this case.

- Lars isn't experienced yet.
- Tell mi where Marchenko would play? Gaudreau, Laine, Voracek, Nyquist are untouchable (+waiver) Johnson plays very good. I don't see any reason so that Chinakhov would be HS. The 4th line isn't for him. Beside don't forget Bemstrom, only one year older Marchenko.
- I don't like he hasn't tried (again, only try) Johnson to play center in the regular season. Especially if we have problems with centers. In fact, three wingers play on the first line. I don't consider Roslovic a center right now.
- Werenski has a big contract. Nobody would move him to the 2nd PP Unit.
As a coach you need to do things to get wins regardless of player contracts.
The main issue is a system that is consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad