GDT: Game 9 | Boston @ Columbus | 7 PM EST | Welcome home Foligno!

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Putting things together (esp. not liking to be boo'd at), I think Elvis probably needs to share the blame a bit for his own mental state, or at least not shoulder it all himself. For a goalie he seems to be way more of a team player mentally than a lone wolf type (like Korpi and most goalies). Which is not great at the moment and probably is a weakness in general (for Elvis the player, not Elvis the person).

Korpi would have a prime opportunity to grab the starter's net but I fear we'll soon have two goalies playing with low confidence and one goalie who is young and getting pummelled too early for his development.

But alas, I'll keep on hoping until the season is done (or at some switch to tank mode).

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
-That was the best (current) team in the NHL. So I think we need to consider that.
-Elvis - Goalies like QBS (football) and Pitchers (Baseball) need to be cocky and need to have to have a short memory. As another suggested it may be a good consideration to limit his media availability. Right now he is not sharp, but (and yes I know I'm a broken record) the team in front of him (defensively) is a joke. Mre like a beer league team. Yes it's on the plaers to play better, on the coaches to have systems and make the players stick to that system and up to management to sign guys that give a crap about playing defense. All is not lost (I firmly beleive this team will get it butwill take time) but having an entire year last year where there was no accountability defensively shows how much of a dysfunctional franchise we have. Ownership, management, coaches and players should be embarrased. End of the day the guys on top will just shuffle the players out, but they put the team together and chose to coach.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I would rather listen to my alarm clock go off for 2.5 hours than listen to Edwards and that other clown he is with. Just awful.
I can somehow tolerate the homerism but that thick accent really rubs me the wrong way. When Torts was here I never got so annoyed listening to him say "powplay" as I do with the way that dude pronounces things.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
not sure if this has been posted or not but..

yuck

This one here is great example of beerleague goalie. Elvis has positioned himself badly, way too middle and way too low. That "lambs dick" shot should come 10/10 straight to the logo. Horrible goaltending absolutely horrible

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Like a lot of us, I find this team's performance disappointing and frustrating. I generally don't boo players unless they do something overtly despicable, but had I been in Nationwide last night I would have been sorely tempted.

But I think we need to hate the play, not the player. Yes, Merzlikins has played poorly by any standard. And yes, his most recent comments sound like he is avoiding responsibility.

But young goalies are notoriously streaky - it's not like he's playing poorly on purpose.

It's easy for an athlete to sound off-putting when trying to express complex emotions in a language he's still learning. And there's some truth in what he's saying - the rest of the team has been bad, too: We can't blame EM for the disaster which is our power-play, our constant lapses into formless scrambling instead of organized tactics, all the other issues this team has.

Merzlikins is going through some tough times right now. Let's not make it worse by over-reacting to a handful of post-game comments. He can regain his form - I don't know how (if I did, I'd call somebody and tell them) but I've seen it happen with other athletes. Venting our frustrations by making it personal strikes me as counterproductive.
He's not that young. Just to ad.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can somehow tolerate the homerism but that thick accent really rubs me the wrong way. When Torts was here I never got so annoyed listening to him say "powplay" as I do with the way that dude pronounces things.

I went to grad school there and met some absolutely brilliant people (non academics mostly) who spoke with that accent. It's just an accent.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
‘fingers crossed’ that Korpisalo is THE guy.

i’m suuuuch a believer in young tarasov.. the rangers win, made me declare him as the future.. that’s how good he was. but the arizona game.. made me step back for a sec. he’s young.. suuuper young. I get it. inconsistency is going to come. but Korpi has to be salivating at the opportunity he has. obviously he’s probably bummed our team is getting crushed but he knows he’s the next man up, officially (let’s be real).
Coincidentally, the entire team looked good that game against a backup goalie who played like sh*t.

As far as Korpisalo being the guy, we know what we have here. I believe the saying goes "Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills up first."

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
O.K. so it's time to finish Elvis' blaming. This is just the beginning of the season, we'll see how he goes from here.

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I do wish this team had a firery guy in their leadership group. That's missing from the team's personality and makeup, Foligno fit that mold well enough but Tortorella obviously lead the way with that.

Who on this team would demolish the penalty box camera out of rage? Who would scream at guys? I wish the other post game interviews sounded more like the one Merzlikins had. The sole thing he was wrong about was the 2nd goal was weak, but past that every single thing he said was correct and needed. Boston was on a traveling b2b and CBJ was fresh.

CBJ is an offense driven team that can swing momentum off of timely rush goals but when they're not getting rushes there's no avenue to win once they go down. Boston played in a way that completely neutralizes us. Literally just one effective heavy forecheck line could be a huge boost, the 4th line broke the game up a bit in the 3rd but our 3 scoring lines have no capability of playing that way.

I feel a lineup changing trade coming soon. This exact iteration of the team won't last long.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
I do wish this team had a firery guy in their leadership group. That's missing from the team's personality and makeup, Foligno fit that mold well enough but Tortorella obviously lead the way with that.

Who on this team would demolish the penalty box camera out of rage? Who would scream at guys? I wish the other post game interviews sounded more like the one Merzlikins had. The sole thing he was wrong about was the 2nd goal was weak, but past that every single thing he said was correct and needed. Boston was on a traveling b2b and CBJ was fresh.

CBJ is an offense driven team that can swing momentum off of timely rush goals but when they're not getting rushes there's no avenue to win once they go down. Boston played in a way that completely neutralizes us. Literally just one effective heavy forecheck line could be a huge boost, the 4th line broke the game up a bit in the 3rd but our 3 scoring lines have no capability of playing that way.

I feel a lineup changing trade coming soon. This exact iteration of the team won't last long.
What’s there to make though? Jarmo handed out so many terrible deals that it’s almost impossible to trade anyone unless we attach important prospects and picks.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
What’s there to make though? Jarmo handed out so many terrible deals that it’s almost impossible to trade anyone unless we attach important prospects and picks.
Almost every team is capped or flat out tanking because of COVID/escrow/etc. Philly literally could not get a superstar who specifically wanted to go there. That's not to say Jarmo hasn't been giving out awful deals, but we aren't really at a terrible disadvantage right now cap wise. We have some movable contracts for sure.

Any meaningful trade would involve picks or prospects one way or the other. I'd be ok with moving some prospects.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Almost every team is capped or flat out tanking because of COVID/escrow/etc. Philly literally could not get a superstar who specifically wanted to go there. That's not to say Jarmo hasn't been giving out awful deals, but we aren't really at a terrible disadvantage right now cap wise. We have some movable contracts for sure.

Any meaningful trade would involve picks or prospects one way or the other. I'd be ok with moving some prospects.
I feel like if that was true they would have moved those contracts out instead of bjork

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I feel like if that was true they would have moved those contracts out instead of bjork
I'm not letting that debate play out on here for the 10000th time but I'll just say our situation is not unique and if we can't make trades then like 2/3rds of the league can't either - which maybe plays to your point but we aren't in a unique situation

We have expiring deals that can make salaries match

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Dude seems overly arrogant, and that his tattoos match his personality perfectly.

So now Elvis seems "overly" arrogant to you because he was defending himself while saying he believes in his teammates and you are now judging him and his personality based on tattoos? Geez.

This isn't all on Elvis no matter that he has been completely terrible. The team scored zero goals last night and they give up way too many odd man rushes, break aways and high danger scoring opportunities. Dominic Hasek couldn't bail this defense out.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He's not that young. Just to ad.

Irks the shit out of me the way the ages of Korpisalo and Elvis are treated so differently.

One guy has all this promise and potential and the other guy is washed up and at the end of his career.

Same age.

Reactions: VT

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So now Elvis seems "overly" arrogant to you because he was defending himself while saying he believes in his teammates and you are now judging him and his personality based on tattoos? Geez.

This isn't all on Elvis no matter that he has been completely terrible. The team scored zero goals last night and they give up way too many odd man rushes, break aways and high danger scoring opportunities. Dominic Hasek couldn't bail this defense out.
Did you actually watch the interview??

Disagree.
Uh.

About what, exactly??

Explain. We may agree.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Ok, well I understand the language “barrier”, but, either way it was more so how he said everything, than what he actually said. Whether his “angst” was directed more towards the questions asked, IDK, but, I don’t like the way he spoke about the team as a whole, and yes he SOUNDS “arrogant”.

Tin foil hat thinking, after listening to more Larsen comments on Elvis, makes me think there’s a connection between Elvis and his somewhat calculated/odd comments seemingly referencing something happening during/following the PIT game, or something that exists regularly.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Reality is setting in that this team is a bottom 5 , maybe bottom 3 team in the league . On top of that , they appear to be so lost in the new system that it’s affecting the offense, yet we are giving up 4.5 goals per game . Honestly , Jarmo should do, what he should have done over the summer and trade away some of the high priced vets , Nyquist, Kuraly, Voracek, and possibly Gavrikov as it appears there’s a contract issue looming. There is a ton of talent that has been stockpiled , and landing a top 3 pick in this next draft will be franchise altering. Other than that , the schedule has been brutal, and Boston as a team, is the best team we have played. Off memory, maybe there were 3 legit high risk shots we took, other than that Boston smothered us, kept everything outside , and when they had the puck supported each other in close proximity moving up the ice. Jackets look like they are never in position to support the puck .. same thing that happened last yr Torts was here.

As for immediate changes , Manny needs to go , and that needs to be done immediately. Clearly from post game there is a rift between Elvis and Larsen… Elvis hasn’t been the same since Kiv passed. Regardless , Korpis game went to crap, Elvis is fundamentally bad, and change needs to happen . Also, is there not an experienced defensive coach out there that isn’t way more qualified ? We have basically a green head coach , and his defensive coach is qualified how exactly ?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Ok, well I understand the language “barrier”, but, either way it was more so how he said everything, than what he actually said. Whether his “angst” was directed more towards the questions asked, IDK, but, I don’t like the way he spoke about the team as a whole, and yes he SOUNDS “arrogant”.

Tin foil hat thinking, after listening to more Larsen comments on Elvis, makes me think there’s a connection between Elvis and his somewhat calculated/odd comments seemingly referencing something happening during/following the PIT game, or something that exists regularly.

There is no language "barrier" except the one you just made up in this post.

Everyone hears/reads/analyzes/retains information differently. Personal preferences towards certain players on our team over others makes it cloud some things with me that I would tend to support you on. My preferences towards players on the team and my posting style wouldn't result in me trashing other players.

You may end up being right about Elvis in the giant scheme of things. I don't know what Korpi we are going to get or what he has left after his recent performance struggles and his surgery but we will get a chance soon to see. I'm rooting for him because the team needs it.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad