GDT: Game #9 - 10.28.14 - vs St. Louis - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I haven't understood the Olekisak hate all year. Even with the multiple goals he's been directly at fault for, I think he's been solid so far. I feel like sometimes people just say he's bad because it's the popular thing to do. He's finally using his size and playing physical. Put him with a better player than KConn, and I think he'd look even better.

It's the Goligoski thing all over again. They had their "guy" Jokipakka or whoever, that stood out, and then people look for every little mistake to magnify it. Oleksiak had some bad errors but I thought as well he was decent enough(better than Jordie anyway) but overall when compared to tonight he was miles better.

Just like Daley he's somehow a golden child right now because he's scoring.
Still makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, has played better overall than his norm, but far from as "great" he is currently being hyped to be playing. He's been good, especially for him but he's not been great, other than he's scoring and that resonates more than the mistakes

MetalGodAOD*

It's the Goligoski thing all over again. They had their "guy" Jokipakka or whoever, that stood out, and then people look for every little mistake to magnify it. Oleksiak had some bad errors but I thought as well he was decent enough(better than Jordie anyway) but overall when compared to tonight he was miles better.

Still makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, has played better overall than his norm, but far from as "great" he is currently being hyped to be playing. He's been good, especially for him but he's not been any better than anyone else, other than he's scoring and that resonates more than the mistakes

Sorry this is ridiculous. Stop with the white knighting. This whole post screams of wanting to be different than everyone else by going against what people are saying.

There was A LOT of praise for Oleksiak in this thread. How can you act like people aren't giving him a fair shake when they praise the one game he looked solid in? Meanwhile Daley is playing all situations and hasn't looked bad one game. He's using his skating to break up any play he makes a mistake on, unlike our other D.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Sorry this is ridiculous. Stop with the white knighting. This whole post screens of wanting to be different than everyone else by going against what people are saying.

There was A LOT of praise for Oleksiak in this thread. How can you act like people aren't giving him a fair shake when they praise the one game he looked solid in?

That's not it an you know it.

He asked why everyone was hating on Oleksiak(previously) not tonight, and that is 100% the reason.

People were talking about how "great" Jokipakka played missing his mistakes, but were jumping over Oleksiaks, even some of the most innocent mistakes. It's been like that since the Preseason, and it's been a grudge since Jokipakka got sent down and not Oleksiak

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

Daley's a golden child right now because he's the only one who is actually playing defense (and that's not to say he hasn't made his own mistakes)......

This was by far Oleksiak's best night, I thought. He was solid the other night until his screw up. I hope to god he's gaining confidence and continues to improve.

He was awful his first three games. Jordie, I think, has been just as bad if not worse than him. And Goligoski has reverted back to what he was early last season.

It's just a complete f up at the moment on the blue line.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
If you remove all those goals that Oleksiak caused then we could have a couple more wins than we do right now. I don't really know how anyone can defend that. No one is saying that he's a bust or that he shouldn't ever be an NHL player but he's brought the team down with his play until tonight. Personally I'd like to not be a wildcard this year and those points that he's cost us could be a factor in whether we are or not. If he plays the rest of his games like this one then there's no problem. If he's a contributing factor to us losing in more games then there's a big problem

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Daley's a golden child right now because he's the only one who is actually playing defense (and that's not to say he hasn't made his own mistakes)......

This was by far Oleksiak's best night, I thought. He was solid the other night until his screw up. I hope to god he's gaining confidence and continues to improve.

He was awful his first three games. Jordie, I think, has been just as bad if not worse than him. And Goligoski has reverted back to what he was early last season.

It's just a complete f up at the moment on the blue line.

People keep saying that, it's not true at all.
Just like they tried blaming him for the SHG the other night, which IMO was on Seguins ****** pass. Did Goligoski screw up by trying to chip it to Spezza, Sure, but he was trying to fix Seguin's **** up.

Goligoski has been decent, not without his mistakes, but has made no more than Daley for instance.

MetalGodAOD*

That's not it an you know it.

He asked why everyone was hating on Oleksiak(previously) not tonight, and that is 100% the reason.

People were talking about how "great" Jokipakka played missing his mistakes, but were jumping over Oleksiaks, even some of the most innocent mistakes. It's been like that since the Preseason, and it's been a grudge since Jokipakka got sent down and not Oleksiak

He actually didn't ask a question at all, you were just ready to jump on your soapbox.

Oleksiak's mistakes were hardly innocent, they directly led to goals. ya that's going to get a bit more traction.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Daley has played far and away the best defense this season. Goligoski is behind by a fair bit but he hasn't been bad. Then after that who the hell knows. Its been a **** show. Goligoski shouldn't be your 2nd best defensman at playing defense though. A legit NHL defense would have 1 or 2 defensive stalwart types above him in that department in addition to Daley. The Stars front office seems to think Benn-Dillon can be a shutdown pair and its not working.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
He actually didn't ask a question at all, you were just ready to jump on your soapbox.

Oleksiak's mistakes were hardly innocent, they directly led to goals. ya that's going to get a bit more traction.

Made a statement regarding the Oleksiak hate, Same ****. I didn't say all his mistakes were innocent, I said people were jumping on him even for his most innocent mistakes, You're picking and choosing for some reason. You don't agree, fine.
I don't have a soapbox, I hate and like everybody equally, I don't magnify every little mistake a player makes and hold it against them, I see the good they do and the bad, well except Ott and Turco, oh and Morrow after the olympics, I have a vehement hate for those 3, but that's me.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
If you remove all those goals that Oleksiak caused then we could have a couple more wins than we do right now.

That's the biggest thing I think for why people are so up on Oleksiak right now. They were 1) obvious, clear (preventable) mistakes and 2) they lead directly to goals that had a direct impact on the final result.

MetalGodAOD*

Made a statement regarding the Oleksiak hate, Same ****. I didn't say all his mistakes were innocent, I said people were jumping on him even for his most innocent mistakes, You're picking and choosing for some reason. You don't agree, fine.
I don't have a soapbox, I hate and like everybody equally, I don't magnify every little mistake a player makes and hold it against them, I see the good they do and the bad, well except Ott and Turco, oh and Morrow after the olympics, I have a vehement hate for those 3, but that's me.

Alright I went back into the Islanders thread and counted the positive/negative comments about the bottom 4 D whlie the game was going on:

Joki good:7
Joki bad: 1
Oleksiak Good: 7
Oleksiak bad: 6
Dillon Good:
Dillon Bad: 5
Jordie Good:
Jordie Bad: 7

Oleksiak actually had a 7:1 Good:Bad comment ratio until he pinched on that 5th goal against. So people are making just as many comments (admittedly in that one game) about each of the young D, but when one leads directly to a goal, then ya it evens out.

Also if anyone should be your target it should be defending Dillon/Jordie. Oleksiak is getting more praise than they are.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Jordie has no business on the power play. In fact I'd just as soon scratch him after tonight and try Jokipakka on the left of Dillon. He's a net negative right now and he's not doing his partner any favors. At this juncture I'm not sure how anyone can be high on Dillon's future.

The Harlem Globetrotters, I mean the bros, were mesmerizing at times tonight. I don't think the line lasts but they're worth the price of admission, even though it was Jamie's screw up that led to the Blues' 3rd goal.

Oleksiak looked much better. More of that, even without the goal and he'd catch a lot less grief.

It's time to switch things up. Garbutt hasn't done much and I think I'd like to see Hemsky's craftiness with Eakin and Roussel's industry.

Eaves still does nothing for me no matter how much Ralph and Razor talk him up. Would like to see McKenzie again.

Jamie needs to be less danity and more barbarian. Leave the cutsy to Spezza and Seguin.

MetalGodAOD*

Ruff seems pleased with the play overall:

On the team’s play tonight:

“We’re this close to completing the deal. I thought we started a little bit tentative and gave them too much respect. Then it was pedal-to-the-metal for 50 minutes. We made a couple of mistakes where we ended up beating ourselves again, which hurts. We got a point out of the game. A penalty in overtime is sometimes tough to kill, but we had an opportunity just before that where Jamie (Benn) almost had an empty net to put it in. I think we’ve got a couple of mistakes we’ve got to clean up still but not as many. That team doesn’t give up a lot and they gave up quite a bit to us. Our puck position, our offensive zone play and our transition play these last three games has been good.”

On Jamie Oleksiak’s first goal:

“He’s gaining confidence. He’s got size, he can skate and has good playmaking ability. I liked his game. Defending he was really solid and you’ve got to start there.

A couple of times he was up-ice, he was in a couple of other scoring chances which were smart plays and I really liked his game.”

On the play of Kari Lehtonen tonight:

“He made some good saves. I like it when guys are hard on themselves and expect to make every save. That’s the way it should be. Expect to give up nothing. That’s a great attitude to have.”

On losing the lead during the game:

“There’s good players on the ice, they’re going to get some chances – but let’s make them earn their chances. Let’s not hand them their chances. Let’s not hand them the 2-on-1’s when we have the lead. St. Louis has good players and they will get their chances, but let’s make sure that the quality of them is on the lower side because we’re going our part.

We had too many giveaways on the rush. We made it easy on them. We cut the ice into about three-quarters and said here we’re going to give you an opportunity. We just have little things to eliminate.

We’re skating as well and competing as hard now…they couldn’t skate with us. I was very impressed with the work ethic of our team. But what was up here (mentally) hurt us.”

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/201...uis-beats-stars-4-3-in-overtime-tuesday.html/

MetalGodAOD*

Jamie needs to be less danity and more barbarian. Leave the cutsy to Spezza and Seguin.

Honestly I think its a habit that needs to be quashed. We're seeing Jamie feel like he has to be an all-star on that line even more, which I personally think limits their effectiveness. Jamie would do so much more if he just crashed the net and was a mensch in front of it and let Seguin/Spezza dangle.

Then it's contagious to the team and you see guys like Rousell doing drop passes on the rush, I fear players see the top boys doing it and want to emulate when it's not their strength. Worries me, hopefully it's nothing.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Alright I went back into the Islanders thread and counted the positive/negative comments about the bottom 4 D whlie the game was going on:

Oleksiak actually had a 7:1 Good:Bad comment ratio until he pinched on that 5th goal against. So people are making just as many comments (admittedly in that one game) about each of the young D, but when one leads directly to a goal, then ya it evens out.

Also if anyone should be your target it should be defending Dillon/Jordie. Oleksiak is getting more praise than they are.

That's just wow, Commitment to a point I guess.
Dillon would benefit from a better partner and Jordie from being in the AHL.
They are "top 4" d-men on this team until their positives start to at least equal their negatives they aren't really worth defending.
It's not like they aren't without their positives, but mostly what I've seen from them is negative.
Granted most of it comes from playing above what they should be, but still if they played a little better then I would be.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I don't think there was much wrong with the play, outside of the start (once again).

They just simply can't finish games unlike they're up 6-1 (even that felt like it wasn't finished off though).

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
As a team game, they really didn't play poorly, except failing to do better when Terensko was on the ice. Problems were that the Pittbulls couldn't hold a lead after scoring and when Dallas had the chance to put this away they didn't.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Still makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, has played better overall than his norm, but far from as "great" he is currently being hyped to be playing. He's been good, especially for him but he's not been great, other than he's scoring and that resonates more than the mistakes

This is insulting. So basically you think Oleksiak has been playing better than a lot of people here thought. Is that about the size of it? Why should I value your opinion over anyone else's, myself included?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
People keep saying that, it's not true at all.
Just like they tried blaming him for the SHG the other night, which IMO was on Seguins ****** pass. Did Goligoski screw up by trying to chip it to Spezza, Sure, but he was trying to fix Seguin's **** up.

Goligoski has been decent, not without his mistakes, but has made no more than Daley for instance.

Yeah Seguin made a poor play on that but Goligoski made it worse and that is whats unacceptable. The guy should be capable of covering someone elses mistakes now and then. instead of making a safe and smart play he made a terribly stupid play.

On another note can we leave the term "white knighting" on other forums where it belongs?

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Honestly I think its a habit that needs to be quashed. We're seeing Jamie feel like he has to be an all-star on that line even more, which I personally think limits their effectiveness. Jamie would do so much more if he just crashed the net and was a mensch in front of it and let Seguin/Spezza dangle.

Then it's contagious to the team and you see guys like Rousell doing drop passes on the rush, I fear players see the top boys doing it and want to emulate when it's not their strength. Worries me, hopefully it's nothing.
Benn has scored some of the most dainty incredible solo goals you'd see over the last few years. I'd hate for that to disappear because he focuses on simply being a net front guy.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub

Benn was right in front of the net for the Oleksiak and Seguin goals. He's doing fine. I have no issue whatsoever with his mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad