GDT: Game #9 - 10.28.14 - vs St. Louis - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

NukeJukes43

Well here's to hoping we make a move on defense soon. We didn't lose in overtime, we lost the same way we lose every game. Offense produces, defense immediately goes soft and let's one in.

Idk just can't see a solid playoff run with our current D. It needs a shakeup to at least let the defense know they need to earn that spot night in and out.

Oleksiak did look okay out there but his goal was flukey looking, so I'm more concerned with consistency in his game than anything.

Eakin/Dillon both suffering real hard from not going to training camp. They look so much slower still.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
We've officially given up the most goals in the conference. :help:

A meaningless stat in a 9 game sample size.

The shots against have come way down since that game against the Canucks, and the Stars have created as many chances or more in their game against the Devils, Islanders, and Blues as the opposition, and in my opinion deserved to win all three instead of just the 1.

Eventually if they keep on outplaying teams, those points will come. It's the thing that got us through last season and into the playoffs despite a couple of runs of terrible luck.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Also if you want to know how confident the Stars coaching staff is in its defense,

PK TOI

Goligoski 6:39
Daley 6:39
Benn 1:03
Dillon 1:08
Olekisak 1:13
K-Conn 0:10

Its the playoffs all over again. Nill needs to make a move. Even someone like Petry would help.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Sorry but this game should've never been lost. Just as the Islander game shouldn't of been.

Our boys are more than scoring enough to be winning these games but the trust in the back end is beyond questionable and just everything on the blue line is awful.

Daley is the only one that hasn't looked absolutely inept.

MetalGodAOD*

A meaningless stat in a 9 game sample size.

The shots against have come way down since that game against the Canucks, and the Stars have created as many chances or more in their game against the Devils, Islanders, and Blues as the opposition, and in my opinion deserved to win all three instead of just the 1.

Eventually if they keep on outplaying teams, those points will come. It's the thing that got us through last season and into the playoffs despite a couple of runs of terrible luck.

It's not meaningless because goaltending is a huge part of the game. Yes they've tightened the chances up a bit but the overall defense is still an issue.

MetalGodAOD*

You gotta think he's working the phones. He went into the season banking on Nemeth, and without him there's too many question marks.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Yah Petry would be great. He's not a guy who will be racking up points or shutting players down, but his puck movement could REALLY help the back going...

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Defense will be kept the same. Too much confidence in our rookie D is what is going to kill us.

Why do you think this? If this keeps up that confidence won't be there anymore. We know Nill was in on Boychuk. If the Eklund rumor is correct (lol) he at least asked about Myers. The confidence may not even be there now and certainly won't be if 10 games from now we are still giving up so much.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
It's not meaningless because goaltending is a huge part of the game. Yes they've tightened the chances up a bit but the overall defense is still an issue.

well we'll see. Can anyone honestly say that the Stars let up more or worse chances than any other NHL team tonight? If anything there were much less against us - the Blues average something over 30 shots per game in regulation, they got 22 tonight - many of which were harmless from the blue line (St. Louis loves those floaters into traffic).

When the Stars are playing well (as they were for the large majority of the 2nd and 3rd periods) the shots against are kept very low and the puck spends most of the time in the other end. Guys like Tarasenko and Steen are going to create a chance every now and then, and they burned us tonight on the few that they got. By my count there was 11 St. Louis shots on goal in the final 40 minutes of regulation play, a time period that included several Blues PP chances and a 5 on 3. I don't know what more our guys can do on aggregate - it's unrealistic to expect any NHL defense to play with no mistakes. I definitely saw the Blues heralded defense make more than a few of their own leading to big Dallas scoring chances.

Unfortunately the way the game works is that unless you completely dominate a team the entire night, the result is going to be subject to the bounces of the puck and the calls from the official. Over the course of the entire season these things usually even out, but in an individual game they do not. They haven't went our way the last couple nights.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Lets flip this to the Bright-side, Oleksiak lookd pretty damn good tonight

McGinley

Captain, my captain
Feb 13, 2013
You gotta think he's working the phones. He went into the season banking on Nemeth, and without him there's too many question marks.

Yeah, I don't see any way in which he was ok with going into the season with the kids.

MetalGodAOD*

Banking on Nemeth and Dillon. Sadly, it looks like both are not going to contribute this season.

I think Dillon is being weigh down by Jordie personally and would like to see him with another D-man before judging too much. But he's definitely a step behind.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I haven't understood the Olekisak hate all year. Even with the multiple goals he's been directly at fault for, I think he's been solid so far. I feel like sometimes people just say he's bad because it's the popular thing to do. He's finally using his size and playing physical. Put him with a better player than KConn, and I think he'd look even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad