GDT: Game 9 • 10/27/15 • Wild vs. Oilers • 7PM CDT/2AM Suomi • FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Much more balanced effort from every line and not just Koivu's. I'm starting to feel for Pommer, dude just cant buy a goal.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Blows my mind we are 6-2-1 and we haven't really played good for any full game except the second ducks game and they gave that one to us. :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Much more balanced effort from every line and not just Koivu's. I'm starting to feel for Pommer, dude just cant buy a goal.

It's more than not burying goals, he is regularly a liability out there. Weak and soft on the puck. He needs a demotion. Killing that line.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I thought PGP had a great game. Zucker-Koivu-Nino was great again.

The defense and Dubnyk are kind of concerning right now, but I think the defense will be able to tighten it up.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I thought PGP had a great game. Zucker-Koivu-Nino was great again.

The defense and Dubnyk are kind of concerning right now, but I think the defense will be able to tighten it up.

Yeah, really hoping we win something like a 2-1 game here soon. As much as we've always complained about our lack of scoring in seasons past, this team is defensively structured.

Billy Mays Here*

Game really should have been 4-0, all three goals were softies on Dubnyk's part. That aside though, decent game, bring on the Hawks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One minute I'm swearing at Vanek, the next I'm praising him. He's definitely better than last year, though.

Anyone else think Haula looks stronger this year? He's not falling down and getting knocked around as much. He's a very good defensive forward now. Would be nice to see him work on puck possession, but One thing at a time.

Dumba is looking overmatched, and still making questionable decisions. I do understand what Yeo is doing by playing him. Hopefully it pays off.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It's more than not burying goals, he is regularly a liability out there. Weak and soft on the puck. He needs a demotion. Killing that line.

I guess I watched a different game - Pominville makes lots of nice little plays and checks that largely go unnoticed, but he makes them all game long.

He might be squeezing the stick too hard around the net, but in no way shape or form is he a liability out there.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Made it out to the X tonight and McDavid is scary when he has the puck. Terrifying really. We looked good for for little stretches then were one and done every team we got access to the zone at other times. When we would play simple and get pucks deep, we would force them to defend and they would struggle. Especially Sekera and Fayne. Ick, they were bad.

The W is a W I guess and I am hoping we can string together a complete game Friday.

BTW, did anyone notice how many broken sticks there were tonight? For both teams? It was multiple per period and sometimes a few on the ice at the same time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Made it out to the X tonight and McDavid is scary when he has the puck. Terrifying really. We looked good for for little stretches then were one and done every team we got access to the zone at other times. When we would play simple and get pucks deep, we would force them to defend and they would struggle. Especially Sekera and Fayne. Ick, they were bad.

The W is a W I guess and I am hoping we can string together a complete game Friday.

BTW, did anyone notice how many broken sticks there were tonight? For both teams? It was multiple per period and sometimes a few on the ice at the same time.

Yeah, it was weird. They mentioned it on the broadcast like 10 times as well.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I feel like the Wild should coast to the puck less when McDavid's out there. He doesn't seem like he's been around long enough to know he's supposed to blow every opportunity.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I guess I watched a different game - Pominville makes lots of nice little plays and checks that largely go unnoticed, but he makes them all game long.

He might be squeezing the stick too hard around the net, but in no way shape or form is he a liability out there.

I watched him pretty closely today because I had thought the same, but the guy is king of little plays. He never holds onto the puck long, but he's always moving it to good spots and especially when we get possession he's usually touch passing it to areas and really good at keeping possession alive.

Just everytime he's in a position to score the puck hops his stick, or he whiffs it, or it goes just wide, or whatever. And it's been like that for a while as he struggled to score last year too. I definitely think he's big for that line, there's a reason his possession numbers have gone up every year since he's been here, and yes a lot of that is having Parise on his line and improvement from Granlund, but that line together has gelled together as whole with the style of game they play and really know what eachother is thinking and how to get to soft spots in the offensive zone to keep possession alive and criss crossing and lots of movement and all that jazz.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone else think Haula looks stronger this year? He's not falling down and getting knocked around as much. He's a very good defensive forward now. Would be nice to see him work on puck possession, but One thing at a time.

Dumba is looking overmatched, and still making questionable decisions. I do understand what Yeo is doing by playing him. Hopefully it pays off.

Haula started the year looking the same as last season, but the last three or so games he's started to look like the player we witnessed when he was first called up to the NHL. If he keeps playing like he is, that in-game promotion to the third line could become a permanent, and deserved one.

Dumba is looking slow and unsure. My guess is that the first couple of games where he and Brodin struggled together rattled his confidence a bit. Brodin seems to have gained his own confidence back. Dumba'll get it back too, it's just a matter of when. A stint in the AHL would do it fast, but I don't believe that's really an option anymore. Now, just play him and let him get it back the same way all NHL veterans must. One thing in his favor: he looks bigger and stronger this year. I love the way he's using his body.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Dumba's hit on Korpikoski was beautiful. Best part is that the Oilers' goon jumped him and we got a PP. :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if you watched yeo post game he said whether he did or didnt move coyle to the 4th line to send a msg , coyle responded in the right way. meaning i dont think yeo was giving haula a promotion. the oil probably should have tied the game with 4 min left , not an impressive or dominate win. when are we going to play 60 min of good hockey? (other than the ducks game)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we move Haula to the third, I don't want it at the expense of Coyle. I want Coyle as first line RW, Poms as third line RW( not so much a demotion, I want to see what he and Vanek do), Fontaine to fourth line RW, Carter to #4C.

We'll see what happens when Graovac returns, but I suspect he will need some time in the AHL to get back in gear.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula started the year looking the same as last season, but the last three or so games he's started to look like the player we witnessed when he was first called up to the NHL. If he keeps playing like he is, that in-game promotion to the third line could become a permanent, and deserved one.

Dumba is looking slow and unsure. My guess is that the first couple of games where he and Brodin struggled together rattled his confidence a bit. Brodin seems to have gained his own confidence back. Dumba'll get it back too, it's just a matter of when. A stint in the AHL would do it fast, but I don't believe that's really an option anymore. Now, just play him and let him get it back the same way all NHL veterans must. One thing in his favor: he looks bigger and stronger this year. I love the way he's using his body.

:baghead::baghead::baghead::baghead: my thoughts exactly

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
If we move Haula to the third, I don't want it at the expense of Coyle. I want Coyle as first line RW, Poms as third line RW( not so much a demotion, I want to see what he and Vanek do), Fontaine to fourth line RW, Carter to #4C.

We'll see what happens when Graovac returns, but I suspect he will need some time in the AHL to get back in gear.

If he played with TV you will see Pom return to form. They think the same pretty goal open net game and he gets to play with a better passer than Granny or Zach. Not as much ZONE time that everyone swears means the world but just as many grade A scoring chances. I would guess Vanek's game would improve too.

I thought Haula looked pretty good with TV on those shifts

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he played with TV you will see Pom return to form. They think the same pretty goal open net game and he gets to play with a better passer than Granny or Zach. Not as much ZONE time that everyone swears means the world but just as many grade A scoring chances. I would guess Vanek's game would improve too.

I thought Haula looked pretty good with TV on those shifts

Well, it would be worth looking at. I do think Haula would make up for the defensive shortcomings for the other two, and would be curious to see if his offensive game came around playing with them. Bottom line, they would be the third line, so there would be less pressure for all involved. Even Coyle should be able to play more easily at RW on the first line, doing the plumbing for the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad