GDT: Game #82. Pens in Philly. 3:30 pm Sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Here are my non-specific theories that paid off.

tom_servo (Feb. 15) said:
I don't think I'm showing excessive optimism by feeling that missing the playoffs is a non-starter. I would be very sensible about tolerating ugly wins in anticipation of a future breakthrough.

tom_servo (Feb. 15) said:
you should want the playoffs in reach whenever our outlook on the team suddenly makes an about-face.

tom_servo (Mar. 11) said:
Praise every win, and hope they can play the right way some other time.

tom_servo (Mar. 12 said:
They'll probably play as inspired or better.

Getting my smug self-satisfaction in now in case they screw up in the playoffs.

Let's win anyway.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So a gmae where Kunitz might have to play without sid or is he considered one of the stars and will sit as well??

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I wish they could sign Kostopoulos and just let him take Sid's spot for tomorrow.

Stupid NHL with their rules and stuff.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I really have nothing much to say about this game other than Don't get hurt.

I'd like to see more Sheary-Sestito action.

twins-movie-image.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
https://www.nhl.com/video/game-day-matt-murray-040516/t-277350912/c-43253203

I like what Murray says there about not dwelling on a goal.It happened, it serves no purpose on thinking about something that already happened so move on. Also why do we not have a full time goalie coach in WBS? that would probably be a good idea for our AHL goalies, no?

As for this game...go Pens! When the game starts we will know for sure if we can end the Flyers playoff hopes or not.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unfortunately you can't sit the entire team, I'd play Sestito in this one for sure. I wouldn't sit Sid and Tanger, I'd probably really limit their minutes though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder what the goalie plan is at this point. Presumably Fleury doesn't play tomorrow.

What if he's ready for game 1 though? Does he play? Can we afford to send him out in that situation not having played a game in weeks?

I'm a tad worried about the goaltending situation in general. Murray is good but young and inexperienced, and I worry we may force Fleury out there and his rust could really hurt us. Last time he sat for a while (AS break) he was absolute crap his first game back.

The way we're playing it shouldn't matter that much who is in net anyways but bad goaltending could really sink us.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fleury seemed fine the last time he came back from a concussion.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
How are they sitting Crosby? I thought BB was hurt again? Or are they just going to dress 17 skaters?

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
All teams have to worry about incurring the BS illegal wrath from their opponents when they're beating them, but the NHL is the only league that seems to encourage it - or at least ignore it. I don't mean "stretching" the rules, I mean specific intent to injure actions.

Oh well, that has been the NHL forever. Some jagoff teams embrace it, thankfully they rarely succeed. Hopefully Shero's Flyers will be the last that ever drink from the cup. The current Flyers aren't close to what they have been in the BSB days, but make no mistake - if the Pens go up 3-0 in the game tomorrow the players and coaches become like the idiotic Philly fans.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How are they sitting Crosby? I thought BB was hurt again? Or are they just going to dress 17 skaters?

Reduced minutes. More PP time for the top dogs but less ES time. I'd give them 15 minutes total TOI. Let our bottom 6's speed handle the Flyers. Although if we score 4-5 in the first period i'd shut it all down the rest of the way.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wonder what the goalie plan is at this point. Presumably Fleury doesn't play tomorrow.

What if he's ready for game 1 though? Does he play? Can we afford to send him out in that situation not having played a game in weeks?

I'm a tad worried about the goaltending situation in general. Murray is good but young and inexperienced, and I worry we may force Fleury out there and his rust could really hurt us. Last time he sat for a while (AS break) he was absolute crap his first game back.

The way we're playing it shouldn't matter that much who is in net anyways but bad goaltending could really sink us.

I think you start Murray Game 1. Maybe even Game 2. Pepper MAF as much as you can in practice. When you can over work him in practice and he seems fine, give him a game.

What we can't do is put him in, go down 2-0 because of it, then make the switch. If anything, go up 2-0 then put him in.

Fleury seemed fine the last time he came back from a concussion.

Was he though? I mean really...was he? For a couple games after he wasn't on his mark. His angles were off and he was shaky from time to time.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I do wonder if they will give Murray a game or 2 in the playoffs and see how he handles it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Was he though? I mean really...was he? For a couple games after he wasn't on his mark. His angles were off and he was shaky from time to time.

No, he wasn't, and I don't think he ever got back to the high he was at before the concussion. Now, there was a coaching change around that time as well, but I feel like he's let in more soft goals since. There's some opinion involved in that and all that it entails, but, yeah. :(

Actually, the never looking the same and then getting a second concussion in around 4 months makes me side eye them. :help:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So it's must-win for Philly right? That might be good. At least they might be on their best behavior for fear of taking a dumb penalty and ruining their season.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No, he wasn't, and I don't think he ever got back to the high he was at before the concussion. Now, there was a coaching change around that time as well, but I feel like he's let in more soft goals since. There's some opinion involved in that and all that it entails, but, yeah. :(

Actually, the never looking the same and then getting a second concussion in around 4 months makes me side eye them. :help:

We can thank that punk Kunitz for Fleury's concussions. We can actually thank him for everything bad....it's his fault HIS FAULT!!!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So it's must-win for Philly right? That might be good. At least they might be on their best behavior for fear of taking a dumb penalty and ruining their season.

It's only a must win if Bruins/Wings don't win, although they should treat this game like a must win. Flyers also play Sunday, they will atleast get a chance to redeem themselves if Bruins/Wings lose in regulation, or just 1 of them.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Here's a hypothetical:

The Pens are leading 3-0 going into the third period. What does Hakstol do?

Option A: puts in his best scorers trying to tie the game and gain a playoff berth

Option B: puts in his "tough" players to send a message

I think Hakstol would obviously pick option A, but if a comeback falls short the fans would crucify him for not hurting the Pens via their normal go-to tactics.

It will be interesting to watch.

barbosa

Mar 21, 2016
Pittsburgh

right, and putting the pens on the powerplay is sure to work against them

:sarcasm:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We can thank that punk Kunitz for Fleury's concussions. We can actually thank him for everything bad....it's his fault HIS FAULT!!!

If JR had traded him for Oshie like he apparently could have then Bennett's shoulder wouldn't have been screwed up by Oshie. :popcorn:

Keeping Kunitz was the biggest mistake this org has made in... awhile... giving a time frame could end in a fight.

Remember when Lovejoy almost got MAF in the eye? :shakehead

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
I would definitely rest Tanger. Guy has been playing a lot of minutes lately. He's also a hothead and I don't want him mixing it up with the Flyers players and possibly getting injured in a meaningless game. Sid can play limited minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad