GDT: [Game #80] Dallas Stars vs. Vegas Golden Knights - 7:30 PM CT (BSSWX)

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I think Dallas is a top 16 team in the NHL, or at least in the mix for 16-18 or so. I just also happen to think that that's not much of an accomplishment.

That's very surprising. They're not even Top 16 in any meaningful categories, and they're not Top 20 in some critical categories as well.

Their are better teams that will not make the playoffs because Dallas was thankfully excellent at a skills competition in OT. Otherwise, in actual game situations, Dallas is below average across the board.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That's very surprising. They're not even Top 16 in any meaningful categories, and they're not Top 20 in some critical categories as well.

Their are better teams that will not make the playoffs because Dallas was thankfully excellent at a skills competition in OT. Otherwise, in actual game situations, Dallas is below average across the board.

You could argue that there are 4 or 5 teams who could be in that spot, I just don't think the differences are hugely meaningful. If you asked me last year or two years ago I would feel differently, but the bottom half of the NHL really sucks this year. Dallas isn't better, other teams just got worse.

Gun to my head, maybe they're 18th? Somewhere behind a fully healthy Vegas and the Boudreau Canucks. I don't see any other strong cases, but maybe you could add a couple of other teams to the argument. Either way, massively flawed. Where would you rank them, out of curiosity?

Edit: I also want to say I agree with your reasoning. The meaningful difference between this year and last year is things breaking right in overtime, which doesn't mean anything for the purpose of being a successful hockey team.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Jets fan here

dallas-stars-stars.gif

Go Dallas Go

Please beat Vegas...

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Also do we know if the Knights are going to be activating a player from LTRI in place of Lehner? R.Smith possibly?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's amazing the Stars are behind both Vegas and Vancouver in goal differential by a decent margin while ahead of both in the standings. 20 behind Vancouver and 27 behind Vegas.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
So I get we are all negative on Dallas from this forum but not sure why most the media is picking Vegas as if they are playing any better. They have lost a bunch of point to trash teams. It’s also not like they have been playing good defense either. I think this game is a wild guess who wins. Will depend on which stars team shows up. Vegas is what they are. I don’t think they have another gear.

Reactions: MBTendy

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's amazing the Stars are behind both Vegas and Vancouver in goal differential by a decent margin while ahead of both in the standings. 20 behind Vancouver and 27 behind Vegas.

It's what happens when a team only knows how to win 1 goal games . Doesn't matter if the opponent is good or bad , if the Stars win its a 1 goal win. In losses the team may get blown out but if they win its by 1 goal.

Reactions: Elysian

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
So I get we are all negative on Dallas from this forum but not sure why most the media is picking Vegas as if they are playing any better. They have lost a bunch of point to trash teams. It’s also not like they have been playing good defense either. I think this game is a wild guess who wins. Will depend on which stars team shows up. Vegas is what they are. I don’t think they have another gear.

I’d assume it’s based off of reputation over the last fews years. Dallas has always played the role of a gritty team that suffocates their opponents (aka boring hockey), while the Knights are entertaining with a lot of fire power.

People just seem to be in denial that the Knights just aren’t that this season so it’s easy to pick Vegas.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Dallas Cowboys legend Micah Parsons with the false start. Hopefully not a precursor to the NHL franchise start tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: Rory

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Dallas Cowboys legend Micah Parsons with the false start. Hopefully not a precursor to the NHL franchise start tonight.

That was close to a spike. Walks out and throws that puck down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad