GDT: Game 80: Avs @ Kings: 4/2 8:30pm MT

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I read the word "pathetic" a lot. For me the only pathetic thing is that half of our posters obviously forgot where we come from and that probably nobody expected us to be even in this race after 80 games.

Yeah we are not looking good atm. Key injuries and a top line getting cold will probably cost us the playoff spot this year. SO WHAT? It happens, and it's not a big thing. We have a lot to look forward to for years to come - that's exciting.

And to those of you who do nothing but complain - please and for the love of god

SHUT THE **** UP

Good night everybody.

Meh, you know you're mad too. It's okay to let it out.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'll be realistic haha. Everyone seriously needs to just try and enjoy the games. Make it or not theres probably only 2 games left so just take it for what it is.

Exactly this. We all realize the predicament we're in, nobody's happy. But some are going for a more optimistic angle and others are more pessimistic. Why trying to stay positive irritates some people here is beyond me.

I get that people are extremely frustrated but it's the same stuff being regurgitated over and over.

Reactions: McMetal

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I read the word "pathetic" a lot. For me the only pathetic thing is that half of our posters obviously forgot where we come from and that probably nobody expected us to be even in this race after 80 games.

Yeah we are not looking good atm. Key injuries and a top line getting cold will probably cost us the playoff spot this year. SO WHAT? It happens, and it's not a big thing. We have a lot to look forward to for years to come - that's exciting.

And to those of you who do nothing but complain - please and for the love of god

SHUT THE **** UP

Good night everybody.
I don't get why people continue bringing up last year. Do people not realize half the roster has changed over? Yeah, we didn't have very high expectations of the team this season but we also didn't expect them to be 60 point bottom dwellers.

Some people expected this team to be a 75-80 point team, others expected a wildcard chase. Last year has nothing to do with this regular season, and right now they aren't playing well whatsoever. Last night's effort in the 3rd period was downright pathetic, and tonight's performance was no different. It isn't just these games that they've been flat, either. They were flat the 3rd period at home vs Vegas. They were flat after the 1st period in Vegas. They were completely flat vs Philadelphia until there was 10 minutes left.

It's gotten to the point where it's multiple games in a row now with pathetic efforts at some point in time during games for extended stretches. One game here and there - fine. It's been like this since the Vegas home game. Literally every game they've had flat moments other than the Chicago game and even then, they were getting downright skated around by the Hawks early in the 1st until the Andrighetto goal.

Plain and simple - this team isn't playing like they want to make the playoffs.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Hopefully Sakic makes major additions in the summer. The last weeks have perfectly shown what kind of a team the Avs are if the top line is not playing out of their minds.

If he watched the last two games, he knows that we still have defensemen problem. Getting Makar and Timmins is nice for the future, but having to resort to playing AHL scrubs with rookies during a playoff push isn't going to cut it.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Agree with this, I just wish our top guys were playing a bit better. They are not handling pressure well at all, and that is a bit disappointing.

Hahaha how can you agree to this? Last I checked, a loss is a loss and teams have to win against playoff teams to get into the playoffs. Again, it's not like anyone expected this team to go 10-0-0 down the stretch or anything but what we're seeing now is just blatant snoozing going on during some games.

I don't give two shits to what other teams are doing or what their playoff position is. I care about the Avs and I still have hope (although a lot less after these two games). All I want is to see them play with some urgency down the stretch. It's immensely disappointing, at least to me, to see our core finally breakout only to see them absolutely crumble under the pressure.

Reactions: Oxymoron and S3rkie

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Honestly the guy who said the difference in the game was a lucky bounce and a softie given up by Bernier is spot on. I didn't feel the Avs got dominated at all. It's not like the Kings had 40 shots to our 15, we actually out shot them, there wasn't a ton of chances. If Bernier doesn't gag on that short-handed Brown goal, we go into the 3rd period 1-1 and who knows how that plays out.

It's unfortunate that this teams top guys have forgotten how to score, but lets not act like we were completely dominated in this game it was relatively even considering we played a tough game the night before. We just didn't get any lucky breaks like LAs first goal and Quick was Quick and Bernier gave up a softie back breaker goal.
But Bernier did gag on those goals, and there were other bad plays that led to those opportunities, you can spin it as bad luck if it makes you feel better, but for this team to take the next step they need to be able to show up for high pressure games against teams like the kings who are built to win close games and grind your offense to a hault. IMO this game was chess and the Avs were playing checkers.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't get why people continue bringing up last year. Do people not realize half the roster has changed over? Yeah, we didn't have very high expectations of the team this season but we also didn't expect them to be 60 point bottom dwellers.

Some people expected this team to be a 75-80 point team, others expected a wildcard chase. Last year has nothing to do with this regular season, and right now they aren't playing well whatsoever. Last night's effort in the 3rd period was downright pathetic, and tonight's performance was no different. It isn't just these games that they've been flat, either. They were flat the 3rd period at home vs Vegas. They were flat after the 1st period in Vegas. They were completely flat vs Philadelphia until there was 10 minutes left.

It's gotten to the point where it's multiple games in a row now with pathetic efforts at some point in time during games for extended stretches. One game here and there - fine. It's been like this since the Vegas home game. Literally every game they've had flat moments other than the Chicago game and even then, they were getting downright skated around by the Hawks early in the 1st until the Andrighetto goal.

Plain and simple - this team isn't playing like they want to make the playoffs.

This x10000, I literally have no idea why people get so offended when the team is criticized for its lackluster play.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Exactly this. We all realize the predicament we're in, nobody's happy. But some are going for a more optimistic angle and others are more pessimistic. Why trying to stay positive irritates some people here is beyond me.
Im not overly optimistic by nature but the Avs have far exceeded my expectations for this season and for most everyone here not named Sea Eagles. I mean yah its fun making fun of Warsofsky playing hockey because hes real bad at it but this team shouldnt even be this close to a playoff position this year and here we are. Where Calgary at? Where Edmonton at? We somehow had a better season than both those teams lol. Oiler fans can shut up for another 6 mths about how much better they are than us. Thats a win.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Would I be happier if they were cruising into a divisional spot right now? Of course I would. But put this in context for god's sake. This is the youngest team in the league, very few of them have played under this much pressure, and frankly the only reason it's so close even with everything undesirable that's happened the last two weeks is because everybody else we're fighting with is playing 3 point games against each other. 93 points with two games to go should, by all rights, be a perfectly fine position to be in the standings.

Expecting this scrappy group of rookie underdogs to be playing like seasoned veterans down the stretch is absurd. This team is not there yet, but it's absolutely incredible that they're playing under pressure right now at all and not trying to subtly tank for a better draft pick LIKE WE ALL EXPECTED THEM TO. Seriously, grow some perspective on things here and stop asking like this is the end of the universe because inexperienced players are playing the way inexperienced players would.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Would I be happier if they were cruising into a divisional spot right now? Of course I would. But put this in context for god's sake. This is the youngest team in the league, very few of them have played under this much pressure, and frankly the only reason it's so close even with everything undesirable that's happened the last two weeks is because everybody else we're fighting with is playing 3 point games against each other. 93 points with two games to go should, by all rights, be a perfectly fine position to be in the standings.

Expecting this scrappy group of rookie underdogs to be playing like seasoned veterans down the stretch is absurd. This team is not there yet, but it's absolutely incredible that they're playing under pressure right now at all and not trying to subtly tank for a better draft pick LIKE WE ALL EXPECTED THEM TO. Seriously, grow some perspective on things here and stop asking like this is the end of the universe because inexperienced players are playing the way inexperienced players would.

The rookies aren't the problem though, except JTC. They have been playing above expectations, except JTC.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Last thought before bed tonight...

I think that that right now the Avs dont' really have that much of an identity outside of having a dominant first line, and it's really showing. I think that the blueprint that Sakic wants (and that I would prefer) is to stick to the traditional Avs blueprint and focus on having a highly skilled team that skates well and buries opponents with goals. Right now we only have one line that works like that, to really be a team that operates this way I think we still have a lot of work to do.

One of the reasons that we have been losing to playoff teams recently is that we are playing their games, they're not playing ours. Vegas got us into a quick-attacking counterattacking matchup that favors their quickness and neutral zone play. We got the Ducks into our type of game for a while, but then they went bully mode and we had no response. Tonight the Kings had us chasing their tails all night long.

What I mean is that other teams have a much stronger team and tactical identity than we do, and that's forcing us into playing ways that disadvantage us. That is something that needs to be worked on in the offseason. To make this blueprint work we probably need a high scoring second line as well as a skill third line, along with a mobile defense that gets the puck out quickly. Look at how TB sets up for the absolute model of how to do this. We will be a contender when we are able to make teams play the way that we want them to play in their building. Right now we are not there yet.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Last thought before bed tonight...

I think that that right now the Avs dont' really have that much of an identity outside of having a dominant first line, and it's really showing. I think that the blueprint that Sakic wants (and that I would prefer) is to stick to the traditional Avs blueprint and focus on having a highly skilled team that skates well and buries opponents with goals. Right now we only have one line that works like that, to really be a team that operates this way I think we still have a lot of work to do.

One of the reasons that we have been losing to playoff teams recently is that we are playing their games, they're not playing ours. Vegas got us into a quick-attacking counterattacking matchup that favors their quickness and neutral zone play. We got the Ducks into our type of game for a while, but then they went bully mode and we had no response. Tonight the Kings had us chasing their tails all night long.

What I mean is that other teams have a much stronger team and tactical identity than we do, and that's forcing us into playing ways that disadvantage us. That is something that needs to be worked on in the offseason. To make this blueprint work we probably need a high scoring second line as well as a skill third line, along with a mobile defense that gets the puck out quickly. Look at how TB sets up for the absolute model of how to do this. We will be a contender when we are able to make teams play the way that we want them to play in their building. Right now we are not there yet.
If you want to know the difference between "critiquing" and "bitching", this is an example of the first one.

Reactions: Avs

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This x10000, I literally have no idea why people get so offended when the team is criticized for its lackluster play.

I haven't seen anyone offended, we're all watching the same game and for me at least a lot of things I've read here I've agreed with, when it's actual critiquing and not just complaining that is. But when it's literally the same comments being said over and over again it gets tiresome.

It's like that scene in Office Space about the cover letter for the TPS reports.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Hahaha how can you agree to this? Last I checked, a loss is a loss and teams have to win against playoff teams to get into the playoffs. Again, it's not like anyone expected this team to go 10-0-0 down the stretch or anything but what we're seeing now is just blatant snoozing going on during some games.

I don't give two ****s to what other teams are doing or what their playoff position is. I care about the Avs and I still have hope (although a lot less after these two games). All I want is to see them play with some urgency down the stretch. It's immensely disappointing, at least to me, to see our core finally breakout only to see them absolutely crumble under the pressure.
Oh I fully agree a loss is a loss no matter how you spin it. But I'm also not going to act like we got owned, when we clearly didn't.

The fact is we have the youngest team in the league and they simply just don't know how to finish yet. It will come with experience, but lets be real there aren't many players on this squad that have much experience with pressure games.

It sucks and right now watching us play the last 2 weeks like these are games in the middle of November. That's a mentality that is learned and we're simply not there yet. But at the end of the day we've got to find enough clutch plays to win two hockey games. Someone has to play hero, who's going to step up. We still control our own fate win two games and you make the playoffs. It's go time and I hope to see a team on Thursday that refuses to lose.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Hopefully Sakic makes major additions in the summer. The last weeks have perfectly shown what kind of a team the Avs are if the top line is not playing out of their minds.

And the top line likely will never play like that again.

MacKinnon was at 2 ppg for a stretch. This was a year MacKinnon could have won the Hart and Art Ross. It's a once in a career type season. Shame it ended like this.

Probably the best season for Rantanen as well.

Luckily Jost and kerfoot look like keepers.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
But Bernier did gag on those goals, and there were other bad plays that led to those opportunities, you can spin it as bad luck if it makes you feel better, but for this team to take the next step they need to be able to show up for high pressure games against teams like the kings who are built to win close games and grind your offense to a hault. IMO this game was chess and the Avs were playing checkers.
The fact is we are the youngest team in the league coming off the worst season of any team in the past 20 seasons. The Kings didn't learn to win games overnight, it took their core group a few tries before they got it right.

Look at Chicago, they were terrible but still had guys like Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, Buff, Havlat etc., got Toews and Kane because of it. Then they missed the playoffs just barely. They had to learn and grow as a team. It's not like they just starting winning one day and never looked back. They had a setback before they learned from it and got better.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I haven't seen anyone offended, we're all watching the same game and for me at least a lot of things I've read here I've agreed with, when it's actual critiquing and not just complaining that is. But when it's literally the same comments being said over and over again it gets tiresome.

It's like that scene in Office Space about the cover letter for the TPS reports.

I get what you're saying but if it's the same issues, are we not supposed to comment on them? Being honest here, I wasn't even the person that started this "dispute". It was was a rather offsetting comment insinuating that some posters here are pathetic for calling the team's play pathetic lol. I don't care if people are optimistic. Hell I'll be honest, if it wasn't for some of you losers (I mean this in a good way haha), there are games that I would just lose hope on from the start :laugh:.

I look at this team for what they've accomplished this season and believe that they are truly good enough to play in the playoffs if they give it their all. I, as well as others, just aren't seeing that. If other posters are ok with where they are and are ok with coming 9th, then kudos to that crowd, I'm just not there.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Oh I fully agree a loss is a loss no matter how you spin it. But I'm also not going to act like we got owned, when we clearly didn't.

The fact is we have the youngest team in the league and they simply just don't know how to finish yet. It will come with experience, but lets be real there aren't many players on this squad that have much experience with pressure games.

It sucks and right now watching us play the last 2 weeks like these are games in the middle of November. That's a mentality that is learned and we're simply not there yet. But at the end of the day we've got to find enough clutch plays to win two hockey games. Someone has to play hero, who's going to step up. We still control our own fate win two games and you make the playoffs. It's go time and I hope to see a team on Thursday that refuses to lose.

You and me both but if it's the team that showed up tonight and last night in Anaheim, we're boned haha. Also again, with regards to your first line, I never said we got owned but I do think that especially tonight, we were outplayed when the game was within reach. That's also taking into consideration that absolute collapse the night before that should have made this loss more tolerable if we had just won the 3rd...

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I know that I said my last post would be my last, but I just have to throw a couple more thoughts out there...

In ways I won't be mad if we don't make the playoffs, I think that it will tell us a lot about the FO and whether or not we will be successful or not...

Thought experiment...why do the Oilers suck??? They genuinely have some wonderful players, yet their team is atrocious year in year out. Fun fact, I don't think that the Oilers will ever be true contenders, even with McJesus. They literally have no blueprint of how they want to play. Seriously, what is the Oilers playstyle?? You might think it's run and gun scoreathons, but their team got pushed around in a few games and they invested big money in absolute slugs like Lucic and defenders that can't really pass like Larsson. Those players would be fine on banging team like LA or SJ, but don't fit the Oilers at all.

Here's something...I think that teams love to run and gun with the Oilers, even though they have McDavid. The rest of that team is so horribly slow and unskilled with the puck that a wide open game just opens them up to make a billion mistakes and give away free goals. There is literally no plan in place, management there just chases the tail of whatever they think the next big thing is and usually get caught holding the bag.

I think that the biggest mistake the Avs FO can make is pulling an Oilers and seeing that they got bullied around by the WC teams and deciding that they want to find some slow ass outdated bullies as well. I think our blueprint is (and should be) burying teams with our skill and scoring ability. I want the Avs this offseason to keep focusing on bringing in more skill players, more mobile defenseman, and turning this into a team that you literally cannot run and gun with. We need to focus on being an dominant team with the puck on our sticks. One of the things that really encourages me is that the FO went out and got Girard in the Duchene deal. We already have a high end puck mover in Barrie, I love that the FO went out and decided that they wanted even more of that in Girard. Biggest mistake we can make is going out and signing some slugs for "toughness" or whatever. Obviously skill players that can bring that element (such as Landeskog) would be really valuable, but I'd rather load up on soft skill guys and try to run teams out the building than go for some brawlers this offseason.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad