GDT: Game 8: Vancouver Canucks @ Colorado Avalanche | 10.24.14 | 7 p.m. height of Sports

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
It's the second time in eight games where refs have changed the on-ice ruling on a goal after a little Kumbaya and then had it count as an Avs non-goal or in this case a goal because the ruling on the ice stands.

I'm not saying they're out to get us but they're out to get us.

I understand the logic behind the conference, ie what StayAtHomeAv was describing, but this it how it looks when they change an obvious on-ice call but don't make it clear first.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
hwwkn5.gif

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Duchene was pure magic.

Redmond is much better than Wilson/Guenin, I hope he sticks in the lineup. His jersey number did give me a few ugly flashbacks though.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
IMO I dont think that Guenin should see the ice again unless we have injuries. Redmond clearly has more talent, better breakout passes, and some offensive upside.

Unless Redmond has an absolutely horrendous game or 2, he should play from here on out.

If that doesn't happen...Roy stubbornness might be a problem.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Redmond is much better than Wilson/Guenin, I hope he sticks in the lineup. His jersey number did give me a few ugly flashbacks though.

I hope people don't ruin Hannan's legacy, whatever small amount of one he had while here. The guy was very good in his role and made Liles a respectable defender.

Hannan is what Stuart wishes he could be for us.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Redmond skating it out of the zone a few times was a real treat to watch. I can't even picture the horror show of Guenin trying to do that. Makes that 3rd pairing so much more useful. It went from a pairing that just got hemmed in the zone to one that actually created some scoring opportunities.

Iginla still has it. Nice to see him and Tanguay rekindle that chemistry.

The only player who needs to get out of a slump still now is MacKinnon.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What sparked this beautiful reaction?:laugh:

TSN used it right after Burrows goal counted in their recap, but I think it might have been some clever editing on their part and it happened at another point in the game. I couldn't find it after that call in any of the feeds.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've been hoping for Redmond to shine since we signed him and have gripped about Guenin as much as anyone, but...Guenin was still a reliable PKer patty trusted. With him eating nachos we're gunna need to make our PK units out of Hejda, EJ, Stuart, Holden and Redmond. And truth be told I trust neither of those last two to carry heavy minutes short handed and we know patty wants to save his stars from having to eat too many PK minutes. So I won't be surprised to see Guenin still get some games where we'll need more of that PKing presense. Hopefully Redmond or Holden establish themselves above him in that area as well so that Patrick isn't tempted.

Having dedicated PKers can help a lot. It was obvious during that one PP where Cliche and co were out there the whole two minutes and Cliche still pressuring the puck in the second minute of the PK. A guy who plays much 5on5 wouldn't still have a full tank to dedicate to the PK. And that's a microcosm of why I think patrick places so much emphasis on his role players actually filling roles on the PK. Thus ultimately I think it'll be how redmond/holden do on the pk that determines whether patty gives guenin another shot.

That said, I'm optimistic Redmond or Holden will do a job on the PK and remove that from consideration to cement Guenin's place next to Wilson. Also gotta point out how much I like that McGinn-Malkin-Talbot 3rd line, those guys should continue to bereally good at keeping the pressure on teams, especially once winchester comes back to claim Cliche's spot next to Briere and Cody so the 4th line can do the same.

Landy-MacK-ROR need a shakeup, but with Tanguay-Iggy reunited sparking them I'm not sure what to do if that Landy line can't start clicking. If the rest of the team is starting to fire on all cylinders we can give them another week or two to figure it out, but right now they just to step on each others toes too much for any of them to flourish. I prefer to put ROR back with Duchene while keeping Iggy with our star #9, especially with that third line playing well, but if we can get on a roll while letting them keep trying to figure it out I'm cool with that to.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be honest I'd like to see one game with Guenin in and Stuart out. I realize that means someone has to play on the off-side but I'd still like to see it.

I wouldn't. I was one of the most extreme critics of the Stuart extension, but he's played a lot better than I was expecting based off of his redwings days. He's making a lot less Pejorative Slured-decisions than I was awaiting, is much calmer on the puck, and even seems to be skating a little better than I remembered, certainly better than Guenin or even Hejda. Our left side is still weak, but each of Hejda, Stuart and Holden are capable NHLers for now, all three are ideally bottom pairing guys or the lesser second pairing guy, but that's ok as long as EJ, Barrie and Redmond are giving us above average #1, #2 and #3 RHD play on their respective pairings, Varly stays healthy and the forwards keep their energy up...At least until the drain of the season, coming injuries/knocks, and their aging bodies make Hejda and Stuart less effective later in the year, though by then I hope it's Siemens and not Guenin that gets called upon.

So while I'm still not happy that they extended stuart for two years instead of just one, he helps us a lot more than putting guenin back into the lineup.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
HAHAHA. Just noticed Mackinnon whip his head back as if to say "ughh really?"

The MacK double take is nice, but that clip summarized our night, and last season for that matter; even when things went wrong, like Holden blowing a tire as the last man on the PP, and we still make the most of it without getting burned.

This won't happen that often, but we needed a night like that to get the boys into the swing of the season after almost having this game against florida before we blew our lead late in the second to go into the break tied and undo a lot of the great things that happened for us in that period. I kinda think the team still losing after that great second helped them really keep taking it to vancouver last night. And that's an important lesson that the kids have to take out of this season of adversity.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've been happy with Stuart for the last 4-5 games. He's great on the PK and wins a lot of puck battles. He will get dummied by a forward now and again and miss a pass occationally, but I feel people are exaggerating how often it happens.

Same with Hejda. He was slow at the start of the year but has gotten better the last three games. He's really slow but as long as he plays a bit more conservative it's not a major problem.

Having EJ/Barrie/Redmond on the right side helps, since you have players that can move and pass to relieve the pressure off the slower defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad