GDT: Game #8: The Calder Race | Blackhawks @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am not surprised that you would think that
What makes you think McBain couldn't or wouldn't?

Let’s remember that prior to last night McBain had only 2 more points than Hayton, and prior to the LA set he was also at 0.
I understand that. But I ask you, would it hurt to take Hayton off that line, even for a few games? Also, keep in mind that last year and this year they have almost identical stats, with Hayton having much more TOI and playing with more productive line mates.

Reactions: British yote

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

I understand that. But I ask you, would it hurt to take Hayton off that line, even for a few games? Also, keep in mind that last year and this year they have almost identical stats, with Hayton having much more TOI and playing with more productive line mates.
I like Hayton but I agree he doesn't do enough and he can't finish. I would rather have Boyd on that line, although would love to see how Cooley would do. That said, Boyd is more responsible defensively.

We really are missing a true first line center.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
People are weird. Maybe even more so when it comes to their kids. Used to be around the game a lot, and sometimes I would score keep because there was a shortage of everyone willing to help. The extra cash didn’t hurt being young and all. Would literally get yelled at because I wasn’t starting the clock fast enough in a tight game.
I did this for a while, too, about 20 yrs ago when i first started playing - just so I could live out the fantasy of being the PA guy. I remember during a youth travel tournament, as I was leaving the booth some dude stopped me and said my shot count for his goalie was low...as I recall, I just kind of looked at him, said "um...okay" and kept walking. Yeah right, buddy.

Reactions: Summer Rose

cobra427

May 6, 2012

More to the game then offensive stats especially if you are a first pairing C or D. Hayton is way better on D then mcBain. If we are at game 20 and Hayton has only a few points, different story, I wouldn't make the change now though.

Reactions: gorsk11

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
More to the game then offensive stats especially if you are a first pairing C or D. Hayton is way better on D then mcBain. If we are at game 20 and Hayton has only a few points, different story, I wouldn't make the change now though.
A first line C is there for production first and foremost. Other lines can do whatever is required on D. How do you know Hayton is way better on D than McBain? Never been tried. I don't care how many games have been played, but if a team or player is not going good, shuffle the damn lines. Nothing is set in stone, but for some reason Bear seems to be stubborn when it come to line shuffling and time outs.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
A first line C is there for production first and foremost. Other lines can do whatever is required on D. How do you know Hayton is way better on D than McBain? Never been tried. I don't care how many games have been played, but if a team or player is not going good, shuffle the damn lines. Nothing is set in stone, but for some reason Bear seems to be stubborn when it come to line shuffling and time outs.
A first line C still has to play very good D, he gets the toughest assignments. Watch Hayton, he is better on D then McBain, its not close right now. Just because McBain had a few good games on offense doesn't mean we should make him a 1C. Hayton started slow last year too but he came on strong offensively, still is playing well, and a number of his screens have turned into goals. If Cooley starts getting some goals, I don't think we should 1C him either just yet, way too much responsibility and too tough assignments as well. I am not as enamored with Bear as most on this board but I think he is making the right decision by keeping Hayton on the first line for now.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich

It's not about stats/production. It's about whether the line works or not and in this case whether Hayton works on that line. I happen to think that Hayton does what is expected of him to enable Keller and Schmaltz to do what they do. Shuffling working lines for the sake of it is just what armchair coaches would do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not about stats/production. It's about whether the line works or not and in this case whether Hayton works on that line. I happen to think that Hayton does what is expected of him to enable Keller and Schmaltz to do what they do. Shuffling working lines for the sake of it is just what armchair coaches would do.
I agree, to a certain extent. If a line gels and is working you go with that line, except when the team shits the bed like it did in LA. Then, you have to shuffle lines to try and get something going. This happens all the time, with all teams. It's not armchair coaching. At the end of the day, Hayton might be the best fit with Keller and Schmaltz, or maybe not.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A first line C still has to play very good D, he gets the toughest assignments. Watch Hayton, he is better on D then McBain, its not close right now. Just because McBain had a few good games on offense doesn't mean we should make him a 1C. Hayton started slow last year too but he came on strong offensively, still is playing well, and a number of his screens have turned into goals. If Cooley starts getting some goals, I don't think we should 1C him either just yet, way too much responsibility and too tough assignments as well. I am not as enamored with Bear as most on this board but I think he is making the right decision by keeping Hayton on the first line for now.
Neither Hayton or McBain are capable as 1C's, but it's what we have at the moment. I agree Cooley is not ready, yet, but when the team struggles again, and they will, I wouldn't hesitate to put him there for a look see. It seems Hayton's confidence is very fragile, so maybe getting him away from the pressures of 1C duties could help him more than hurt him. You guys can defend Hayton all you want, but he has to do more, much more.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
One of the reasons that the Coyotes should carry 8 D is the option of the 11 - 7. If we're going to experiment with what works in the offense, I rather double shift and be able to keep the D "fresh" by limiting their ice time. Not suggesting the 11 - 7 be the standard, just that'll be an option.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
One of those very rare times when I agree with Cobra. I'm going to light a candle.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
As for @Jakey53 's concern about Hayton, he's wrong. Hayton is playing the game that the Coyotes need him to play. He has two high scoring wingers. We don't want Hayton to be a score first center with those two guys. we want him to be a net front presence, a set up guy, and provide defense to make up for Keller's lack of a 2 way game.
Jakey always over does it and comes off flippant, but I think what he really wants is for Hayton to stay on his feet more and execute on his opportunities.

Hayton is a huge part of that lines success even if the points are going to Keller & Schmaltz instead of himself. Why break that chemistry up for McBain? Move McB up but not all the way to the top line.
Yeah, that idea is silly imo.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
People are weird. Maybe even more so when it comes to their kids. Used to be around the game a lot, and sometimes I would score keep because there was a shortage of everyone willing to help. The extra cash didn’t hurt being young and all. Would literally get yelled at because I wasn’t starting the clock fast enough in a tight game. People so quick to point fingers rather than reflect and improve. Guarantee Bedard isn’t sitting there whining about the calls made by the stripes. Absolutely cringe when the ref you suck chants happen. Maybe it’s just me but why yell at the guy that can alter the game negatively for you….

Not everyone understands the game at a high level but at least we ain’t NFL level bad. All that downtime generates a lot of arm chair coaches.
I just laugh at the ref you sick chants and normally verbalize in an old timey announcer voice “aaand, the ref sucks.”

Yes, it would hurt. I’d have thought you’d seen enough hockey to know what Hayton brings.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
LOL, so you think the first line is not going well and it has a negative effect on the team? Okay :laugh::laugh:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Neither Hayton or McBain are capable as 1C's, but it's what we have at the moment. I agree Cooley is not ready, yet, but when the team struggles again, and they will, I wouldn't hesitate to put him there for a look see. It seems Hayton's confidence is very fragile, so maybe getting him away from the pressures of 1C duties could help him more than hurt him. You guys can defend Hayton all you want, but he has to do more, much more.
Just what in the hell makes you think his confidence is fragile?

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
In regards to Hayton. He provides a Bergeron effect to his line mates. Allowing them more freedom to dance around while he does the dirty work. He’s snake bitten but he also should have more points as well. Eventually Cooley makes too much sense between Keller and Schmaltz as he can make elite plays fast like them, but he stays out too long or dogs it on the back check. Perhaps things are happening too quick defensively for him as well. Either way, it’s probably better to keep him with defensively responsible forwards this year. Plenty of hockey left to prove me wrong.

In the words of our famous Captain. You only have X amount of points playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg! You should be ashamed of yourself!!! Hayton will figure it out.

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Would like to see Hayton more on the score sheet of course, but if his play is doing the things that allow keller and schmaltz to be PPG (or better) I dont see reason to mix lines up. Hayton is strong on D end, good in the circle, causes traffic in front of the net, all these allow other two lots of freedom.
2 questions about dropping him down a line or two: does a different C get kell/schmaltz bettter results? and does having him on top line spread scoring over the whole forward group and allow us to have 4 lines that can score?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey always over does it and comes off flippant, but I think what he really wants is for Hayton to stay on his feet more and execute on his opportunities.

Yeah, that idea is silly imo.
Exactly correct. Stop falling down every shift and execute on at least some of the opportunities.

LOL, so you think the first line is not going well and it has a negative effect on the team? Okay :laugh::laugh:
No, you don't understand what I'm saying.

Someone post Hayton's highlight reel goal. I'm at the World Series or I'd do it #humblebrag
Goal, as in singular? ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would like to see Hayton more on the score sheet of course, but if his play is doing the things that allow keller and schmaltz to be PPG (or better) I dont see reason to mix lines up. Hayton is strong on D end, good in the circle, causes traffic in front of the net, all these allow other two lots of freedom.
2 questions about dropping him down a line or two: does a different C get kell/schmaltz bettter results? and does having him on top line spread scoring over the whole forward group and allow us to have 4 lines that can score?
I don't think a line should be broken up for the sake of breaking them up, but I'll say it again. When a player is struggling, or the line is, or the whole team is in a funk shuffle the damn lines.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think a line should be broken up for the sake of breaking them up, but I'll say it again. When a player is struggling, or the line is, or the whole team is in a funk shuffle the damn lines.
Right.
But we won 8-1.
Sooooooo... can we stick with the lineup as is?

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad