GDT: Game #8: The Calder Race | Blackhawks @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I have a meeting in 15 minutes so this is just a quick GDT. I will update it later.

Lines:
Foligno - Bedard - Kurashev
Dickinson - Reichel - Raddysh
T. Johnson - Donato - Perry
Athanasiou - Entwistle - R. Johnson
Korchinski - Jones
Phillips - Murphy
Tinordi - Zaitsev

Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Cooley - Crouse
Carcone - Bjugstad - Kerfoot
O'Brien - McBain - Boyd
Moser - Durzi
Stecher - Dumba
Valimaki - Brown

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Finally a game against a team that isn't a powerhouse team or a legit playoff contender - the Hawks have played Vegas (twice), Boston (twice), Colorado, Toronto, Montreal and Pittsburgh - and 6 of those 8 games were on the road ... and yeah I know - everyone has a sob story.

This is rebuild year#2 where wins are to be strived for but not as important as young player development. The Hawks have 5 main young players - Bedard, Reichel and the 3 rookie d-men Vlassic, Korchinsk and Kaiser. All 5 have played very well except Reichel hasn't scored yet. Vlassic took a blindside hit and is in concussion protocol and Kaiser is not in the lineup for unknown reasons. Phillips has been called up from the AHL but he's another rookie d-man.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I put this on another threat (sorry) but why was Cools benched?
Tourigny said he liked his compete and his effort he just felt that it was directed at the wrong things. He said when he had a meeting with Cooley, that Logan already knew everything Tourigny was going to say before he said it and Tourigny is wholly satisfied with the response.

I don’t think Cooley was trying to create offense outside the confines of what’s being coached. Resulting in structural challenges and some poor puck management.

I get where the coaches are coming from but it was a total team collapse and at least Cooley was gaining the zone with speed and getting behind defenders and at least attempting to attack the inside. More than bam and be said for Most of the roster. So I don’t love the benching myself.

That said, I’m not behind the bench and I’m not seeing what AT sees. I trust the coach.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I just want to see good hockey. I haven't watched the Hawks this season so they may be entertaining, and the Yotes certainly have the capacity to be. Just give me a fun game, ideally where we win, but I won't be completely upset with a loss.

I'm expecting ~80 points this season, that's a lot of losses even with the improvement in points. We still need to draft more centers and RD, like a few names currently in the top 10 would be dope and help us become a true contender. Plus, we're only a few years ahead of Chicago in our rebuild, the teams are likely closer in capacity than some would like to admit. What I'm getting at is a loss isn't the end of the world here, but I'd like a win.

Reactions: Summer Rose

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I just want to see good hockey. I haven't watched the Hawks this season so they may be entertaining, and the Yotes certainly have the capacity to be. Just give me a fun game, ideally where we win, but I won't be completely upset with a loss.

I'm expecting ~80 points this season, that's a lot of losses even with the improvement in points. We still need to draft more centers and RD, like a few names currently in the top 10 would be dope and help us become a true contender. Plus, we're only a few years ahead of Chicago in our rebuild, the teams are likely closer in capacity than some would like to admit. What I'm getting at is a loss isn't the end of the world here, but I'd like a win.

I know Hawks fans are not supposed to root for another tank season like we did last season but in reality there's more to be gained with a top-5 2024 draft pick than a few more meaningless wins this season. I just want our young players to play well and grow into NHL pro's and you guys can have the win.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tourigny said he liked his compete and his effort he just felt that it was directed at the wrong things. He said when he had a meeting with Cooley, that Logan already knew everything Tourigny was going to say before he said it and Tourigny is wholly satisfied with the response.

I don’t think Cooley was trying to create offense outside the confines of what’s being coached. Resulting in structural challenges and some poor puck management.

I get where the coaches are coming from but it was a total team collapse and at least Cooley was gaining the zone with speed and getting behind defenders and at least attempting to attack the inside. More than bam and be said for Most of the roster. So I don’t love the benching myself.

That said, I’m not behind the bench and I’m not seeing what AT sees. I trust the coach.
Cooley's play away from the puck on D and in all 3 zones hasn't be great but this is normal for most rookies. I think his play on offense has been good, he is a natural.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I thought these 2 teams were in the NHL! (me making fun of the OP).

Cooley with a hat trick including stripping 1 from Bedard for a score...
Between the 2nd and 3rd period the Blackhawks trade Murphy to the Coyotes!

Asked Davidson why between periods and he said "they were kicking our ass anyways so what the hell".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad