GDT: GAME #8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You all act surprised that a team that has multiple first overall picks may have some better players then us? Edmonton should have been better years ago. It's unrealistic to expect our team to have the same level of players as a team that has tanked for what 13 years.

2016 - 2010 = 13??

That's some crazy math skill right there ...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
2016 - 2010 = 13??

That's some crazy math skill right there ...

No kidding. That's like saying Jim Benning has been ruining the Canucks for a decade(God lets hope this doesn't actually come true)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm expecting a beatdown and at least one injury on our team from Kassian, Lucic, Maroon or Nurse. How the tables have turned.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm expecting a beatdown and at least one injury on our team from Kassian, Lucic, Maroon or Nurse. How the tables have turned.

I have an almost impossible time imagining that the team I've watched this season will somehow score more goals than Connor McDavid's team tonight. But then, these can often be the 'trap' games that lead to an unexpected result.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I have an almost impossible time imagining that the team I've watched this season will somehow score more goals than Connor McDavid's team tonight. But then, these can often be the 'trap' games that lead to an unexpected result.

Yeah I've watched about half of their games so far and they look like an entirely different team this year. They have three solid scoring lines centred by McDavid, RNH and Draisitl with one big guy on each line in Lucic, Kassian and Maroon. Their fourth line even looks solid with Letestu playing well so far and Pitlick and Lander seem to finally be coming around for them as well.

Overall they looked really physical when playing the Capitals which felt like the twilight zone compared to just last year. Their defense could still use improvement but Russell has been a bit of a revelation for them and obviously Larsson is a huge add (which obviously came at an enormous cost).

Naturally with a better defensive, physical team Talbot suddenly doesn't look too bad either. I fully believe they are now in the upper echelon of Western Conference teams and the scary thing is they still have a lot of room for improvement.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I've watched about half of their games so far and they look like an entirely different team this year. They have three solid scoring lines centred by McDavid, RNH and Draisitl with one big guy on each line in Lucic, Kassian and Maroon. Their fourth line even looks solid with Letestu playing well so far and Pitlick and Lander seem to finally be coming around for them as well.

Overall they looked really physical when playing the Capitals which felt like the twilight zone compared to just last year. Their defense could still use improvement but Russell has been a bit of a revelation for them and obviously Larsson is a huge add (which obviously came at an enormous cost).

Naturally with a better defensive, physical team Talbot suddenly doesn't look too bad either. I fully believe they are now in the upper echelon of Western Conference teams and the scary thing is they still have a lot of room for improvement.

Yeah, this is finally a legitimately good team and I expect they'll make the playoffs. I don't see a bubble bursting. They have solid goaltending, one of the deepest (and biggest) forward groups in the NHL, and they've added enough solid defenders to get by.

The one thing they're really lacking is a PMD - if I'm Chiarelli, I'm all over Anaheim right now to see if a) they'll move Vatanen (unlikely) or b) they can pry Montour or Theodore out of there in exchange for taking the Bernier contract.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Yeah, this is finally a legitimately good team and I expect they'll make the playoffs. I don't see a bubble bursting. They have solid goaltending, one of the deepest (and biggest) forward groups in the NHL, and they've added enough solid defenders to get by.

The one thing they're really lacking is a PMD - if I'm Chiarelli, I'm all over Anaheim right now to see if a) they'll move Vatanen (unlikely) or b) they can pry Montour or Theodore out of there in exchange for taking the Bernier contract.

Larsson and Klefbom are certainly capable of distributing and transitioning the pick from defense to offense, but you're right, they still lack an elite OFD on the back end that can create offense at ES and be an asset on the PP. My god, if Oilers were able to acquire Theodore out of Anaheim... I'd puke. I think that kid is going to be one of the next great young OFD to break out, right there with Klingberg and Gostisbehere.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

A healthy McDavid makes this a very dangerous team, and a near contender for the Stanley Cup. The Edmonton Oilers are possessing the same build of the 2010-2011 Boston Bruins, except they have more skill upfront and a better goaltender (Tim Thomas was only God-like for one series). Chiarelli is a hell of a GM.

Hell, they should target Shattenkirk out of STL and perhaps even Chara from Boston should they opt to rebuild over there continue. Chara may have really slowed down but he can still distribute the puck well. Would also be a mentor and provide a veteran presence in the dressing room.

That team will win cups. Multiple cups.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
A healthy McDavid makes this a very dangerous team, and a near contender for the Stanley Cup. The Edmonton Oilers are possessing the same build of the 2010-2011 Boston Bruins, except they have more skill upfront and a better goaltender (Tim Thomas was only God-like for one series).

Hell, they should target Shattenkirk out of STL and perhaps even Chara from Boston should they opt to rebuild over there continue. Chara may have really slowed down but he can still distribute the puck well. Would also be a mentor and provide a veteran presence in the dressing room.

That team will win cups. Multiple cups

But... but... they have a "losing" culture now after so many years of sucking. That can't possibly happen!

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006

This makes me sad.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Vancouver CanucksVerified account
‏@Canucks
Desjardins said Zalewski won't play tonight, he was recalled for depth.

So no lineup changes?

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
But... but... they have a "losing" culture now after so many years of sucking. That can't possibly happen!

It's almost like they overhauled almost every aspect of the organization to deal with exactly that, and had the help of a generational talent to stimulate UFA interest on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad